Bruce Springsteen - Next Deluxe Box Set Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, May 5, 2018.

1. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

I could not find a thread for this so here goes......

Following deluxe box sets for Born To Run, Darkness and The River, I would expect the next set to focus on either Nebraska, Born in the USA or both. Personally I expect it to be Born in the USA, with the bonus material incorporating material from the Nebraska sessions but some of you may have other thoughts.

The Darkness boxset would be a good template to follow with the main album 2 discs of outtakes, a documentary, a recent performance of the album and a complete concert from the period.

Based on the pattern set by those previous albums, I assume a decision has been made that these sets will be released every 5 years so I don't expect this until the end of 2020.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what format this set should take or what known outtakes this should include?

Rockford & Roll and qtrules like this.
  2. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

My understanding is that the BITUSA box is next, slated for 2019. I would expect it will follow a similar format as the River...remastered CD, some new outtakes, some recycled outtakes, a documentary DVD and a concert DVD (I would guess LA 85).

3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I will be surprised if it is anything different. He recorded a lot of material for BITUSA and one can only hope that it is properly represented. I fear it will be like The River set where there will be one disc of outtakes, half being recycled from Tracks. At a minimum, it should contain two discs of outtakes (including the garage demos), but it will probably be much more streamlined and condensed.

anastasios, andrewskyDE, Sean and 4 others like this.
  4. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Yeah me too. Have to wait and see, but Im not sure I'm gonna buy this one when it eventually comes out. From perusing the comments on Facebook and various message boards, there is growing pushback among his fan base for excessively milking and recycling his back catalogue, and for the prices being charged. His upcoming "Album collection volume 2" is $270.00. There isn't a single note of previously unavailable music on it.
    Who buys this stuff?

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    NYMets41 and musicaner like this.
  5. Bink

Really? But we are only getting one of these sets every 5 years. It's hardly at the level of Dylan's annual and extensive bootleg series releases!

6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The Volume 2 Album Collection is a bit of a head-scratcher, particularly with it being vinyl-exclusive. The River box set was far from perfect, but I was very happy to have the aborted "The Ties That Bind" album in great sound, plus I thought the unreleased outtakes were generally quite good, and contained far less contemporary overdubs than "The Promise" compilation, which was a plus. A "Born In The USA" box set has a great deal of potential, and if it contains enough fresh outtake material without too many contemporary overdubs and manipulation, it will be worth checking out if the price is not prohibitive.

7. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Electric Nebraska should be included.

NYMets41, jdrueke, JoeF. and 12 others like this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i loved the river set :hide:

The MEZ, tedg65, anastasios and 8 others like this.
  9. Bink

I also love it. My only disappointment was that they didn't include a dvd/blu ray of a recent performance of the whole album or that they haven't released one from the 2016 tour.

Sean, Matthew Tate and Christopher B like this.
  10. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

For Born in the USA you can make your own from already released stuff.

Disc 1 Original remastered album
    Disc 2 Outtakes/B sides from Tracks and The Essential Springsteen
    Discs 3-5 1984 live set (2 came out on Nugs downloads)
    Disc 6 Whole album live in London DVD 2013 (released with High Hopes)
    Disc 7 Live in Paris DVD 1985 (not released but commonly available in excellent quality)

supernaut, andrewskyDE, Sean and 3 others like this.
  11. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

What would be on your disc 2?

12. Bink

I agree, there is a lot out there already although I think the Darkness boxset suggests that where there are enough outtakes they will try to avoid duplicating what has already been released.

What I imagine is that the documentary that comes with the set will tell the story of both Nebraska and Born in the USA and that the 2 CDs of outtakes will mirror this.

So the first disc could be acoustic - and despite already being released on Tracks, I would start with the acoustic Born in the USA. The second disc would be with the full band and would include electric versions of Nebraska material as well as Born outtakes not included on Tracks.

Matthew Tate and nfmboss666 like this.
  13. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I'm not sure I understand where the pushback is coming from. Or the idea of an excessively milked and recycled back catalog.
    When you release a box set of remastered albums labeled Volume One, and they're regarded as sounding better than the original releases and successful and then a few years later release a Volume Two...well, I'm not sure how people can be caught surprised by that and come aboard with some kind of exasperated "well, there he goes again another cash grab"attitude. Or, "how many times am I supposed buy the same album?" I guess my answer might be, "I dunno dude...if it sounds better, maybe twice? But, if you're happy, you don't have to buy it again."
    If you label an album collection, Volume One it seems reasonable a Volume Two should be expected at some point in the future.
    And am I wrong, that there has not been any prior reissues of any of Bruce's albums? With that in mind, when did twice, become excessive?
    Out of his entire catalog, there are only 3 albums released as deluxe versions.
    Things seem hardly milked around here.
    I mean, there are at least 3 deluxe versions of Pet Sounds all by itself, more if you count gold discs, remixes, two(!)SACDs, DVD-A...the list could go on. And I love Pet Sounds!
    Anyway, I don't really get the excessive back catalog milking stuff, especially with this set.
    Some of these records were not easy to come by, even as new releases. I think it's hard to be excessive, when it was difficult to find in the first place.

14. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

1. Born In The U.S.A (alternate)
    2. Johnny Bye-Bye
    3. Shut Out The Light
    4. Cynthia
    5. My Love Will Not Let You Down
    6. This Hard Land
    7. Frankie
    8. TV Movie
    9. Stand On It
    10. Lion's Den
    11. Car Wash
    12. Rockaway The Days
    13. Brothers Under The Bridges ('83)
    14. Man At The Top
    15. Pink Cadillac
    16. None But the Brave
    17. County Fair
    18. Murder Incorporated
    That's stuff that has already been released. There are of course many other tracks that haven't been, and you can add the extended 12 inch mixes too if you want to punish the listener.

Citrus, Rupe33, andrewskyDE and 4 others like this.
  15. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Thx. Will see if I can put it together in Apple Music and give it a listen.

Matthew Tate and adm62 like this.
  16. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I'm still curious about how he was able to pull off the nugs deal while he was still under the $101 million CBS deal he signed in '05. That deal included "official" live releases. There is only a finite amount of material in the archive, and only so much $ that fans are willing to spend. In theory, Nugs is now drawing revenue dollars away from dollars that could have ended up in CBS' pocket.

For example, I wonder how it was decided which entity got to release the recent '78 Passaic show. That release strikes me as a pretty valuable piece of property.

17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I have a bootleg cd called murder incorporated, it's pretty good.
    Tracks
    B.i.t.usa full version
    Murder incorporated take 1
    This hard land
    Protection
    County fair
    Glory days - extra verse
    Janey dont you lose heart
    My love will not let you down
    Follow that dream
    Working on the hwy
    I'm going down
    Frankie
    Murder incorporated take2
    None but the brave
    Drop on down and cover me
    Sugarland
    Cynthia

Idk much about it, but i saw it and bought it one day because it was subtitled the real b.i.t.usa, and i had always been a little disappointed in the official album.

18. dee

dee Senior Member

There's a couple of multiple versions too of a few of those songs officially released - This Hard Land, Stand On It? More...?

19. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Yeah I think so. I made a playlist and added The Big Payback (Nebraska era on Essential) and it comes to almost exactly 80 minutes!

dee likes this.
  20. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

My biggest gripe with the Darkness on the Edge of Town and The River deep dive box sets is Springsteen's indefensible penchant to re-record vocals (decades after the fact) and add other potentially anachronistic musical embellishments to his vintage studio outtakes. That's also my main fear with the inevitable Born in the USA box set.

When an artist releases a fairly comprehensive look into a particular album or recording session, I want to hear those tapes 'as is' (i.e. exactly what was captured in the studio at that particular snapshot in time - sans any revisionist "tidying up").

That major criticism aside, the Born in the USA box set has potential, as there are a wealth of uncirculating songs from that session including the fabled "Electric Nebraska" material. NFL Films was also on hand to film some of the concerts late in the tour so a high quality home video component should be a no-brainer.

21. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

I’ve been waiting and waiting and waiting.

22. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I should probably know this stuff off the top of my head and I'm in the midst of packing to move, so all books and CDs are already packed.
    But, how far did they get into Electric Nebraska before Bruce decided it wasn't working for him?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I think in general re-recording stuff is not great however in his mind he probably never properly finished the songs as at some point be decided they would not be released on the album he was working on. So then, much later, he finished them

24. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

The Rising on vinyl ALONE routinely sells for about $250-. It's not part of the box, but you see that vinyl lovers are willing to pay above and beyond reasonable rates to have the albums they love on wax.

Sean and OptimisticGoat like this.
  25. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Light of Day

Really hope BITUSA is next...tons of material to choose fro

And then, how about a Tracks 2 for another dip in the vault

andrewskyDE, Sean, dee and 2 others like this.