1970s TV Movies - Does anyone air them anymore?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, May 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

bartels76 likes this.
  2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Some have gotten attention and showed up on DVD. There is of course DUEL, the Steven Spielberg made-for-TV movie. Also, off the top of my head is THE GATHERING, an Ed Asner Christmas movie, and MERCY MISSION, another Christmas-themed TV movie with Scott Bakula. All of these are in my DVD collection. I can't say I've seen any of them show up on TV recently.

There was a summer that MeTV was showing TV movies on Friday nights. Mostly though they were extended episodes of TV series like COLUMBO and PERRY MASON.

3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The Mystery movies that preceded the series.

4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Comet has recently run Gargoyles and The Martian Chronicles.

Ghostworld likes this.
  5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I don’t know if it has been shown on TV lately, but there’s a beautiful blu-ray of this childhood favorite:

[​IMG]

keefer1970 likes this.
  6. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Theres a channel over here called True Movies that shows nothing but US 70's and 80's tv movies.

7. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Murder By Natural Causes (1979)

8. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

on YouTube quite recently I watched Reflections of Murder, a 70s TV movie remake of Les Diaboliques. I remember being a bit disturbed by it as a kid.
    One film I saw around the same era (must have been late 70s) was possibly a TV movie, I've never been able to find it as unfortunately I can't remember enough details. I seem to remember it beginning with a truck driver picking up a female friend (or possibly a hitch hiker) and I think they end up captive somewhere.

9. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Was it this?
    All the Kind Strangers - Wikipedia

10. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Forum Resident

Some of the newer "digital" OTA channel networks show them.
    Check your local listings for:

Antenna TV
    Movies!
    Decades

11. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

At first I was going to say no (the beginning is a bit different to my hazy memory of it)...but having watched it all on YouTube I think that may actually be it. Thanks!

12. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I'd be into that thread. I grew up watching a lot of this stuff. One that's always stuck in my memory is "Where Did All The People Go?" with Peter Graves. I also have a memory of what I think was an afterschool special with a character who seemed to be a very disturbed young girl. That one freaked me out because it was not bright and sunny in the least, and got pretty dark from what I recall.

A good reference is Peter Hanson's every 70s movie blog. Every 70s Movie He mainly covers theatrical features, but also a lot of notable TV movies.

yesstiles likes this.
  13. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I was very pleasantly surprised to walk in the lunchroom at work and see the Decades channel was showing "Dead Man's Curve". Haven't seen that since the 80's.

14. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

just saw it. started with her arriving at the house, guess I missed her backstory leaving home? really moving and well done. didn't know the local Texans tried to block production, planting pot in her dressing room etc. talk about life imitating art. she won a deserved emmy freeman was great as well, underplaying it nicely.

JamieC likes this.
  15. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Slovic is out on CBS On Demand. They've put out a bunch of them, although not nearly enough. Problem with their on demand program is that they give it no promotion whatsoever and you just have to happen to be hunting for something and then stumble across it. I have friends over there and I've suggested a box set of TV Movies for release, since they own the Spelling produced ones via their buyout of Worldvision, who used to syndicate all of them. They didn't have interest, which I think they're missing the boat on.

JamieC likes this.
  16. James Slattery

Where is over here? And can you or anyone you know record them???

17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Just for info Patty showed up for her Emmy messed up. It was assumed she was seriously stoned.

18. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

It is on Virgin Cable here in Dublin Ireland. I have a hard drive on my cable box but getting it to a dvd is another matter. You should petition Sony to put this channel on your network.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  19. James Slattery

I looked them up and it seems that they show "based on a true story" type movies, as opposed to the cool 70s TV Movies which were thrillers and comedies mostly. Is that accurate?

20. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I saw that too, I always go down a rabbit hole when I get into something. according to her she was also signing her thanks but the cameraman shot it so you cant see her hands, there was definitely a bit off during it, looked more depressed than stoned really

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Gargoyles
    Don’t look in the Basement
    Phase IV
    A Cold Winters Death. (I forget the name. The chimp one)

Ah, I worshipped those MOWs!

22. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I have Missiles on VHS dubbed onto DVD. A great made for TV movie. Some truly great acting in that one.

JamieC likes this.
  23. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

I remember a lot of horror themed movies from this period. Most had lame Scooby-Doo type twist endings, but a few were decent:

- Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
    - Killdozer
    - Trapped
    - Can't recall name, two men stuck in an Arctic army base w/caged monkeys and weird stuff starts happening.
    - Can't recall name, ghost of child who burned in a car wreck returns to possess and/or kill her family.

24. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

A Cold Night's Death - Wikipedia

Was it this?
    Daughter of the Mind - Wikipedia

25. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Is Phase IV the Saul Bass movie about ants taking over? If so, that was a feature theatrical film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.