Avengers: Infinity War

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

2. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I can argue with it cause I'm not receiving the check. :)
    In all seriousness, Hollywood is very consistent in knowing how to kill the golden goose. Please see 3D films as an example

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Anyone that believes for one second that these guys are dead doesn't understand the #1 golden rule in comics, dead ain't dead! There's literally only a handful of character's that've STAYED dead once they're whacked. Its a trend in comics that I've always disliked. Back in the day, dead was dead, so it upped the ante when the possibility of death was presented. Nowadays it's barely a bump in the road.

Vidiot and misterclean like this.
  6. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

....about as much chance of them staying dead as Lois falling off a building and going SPLAT!!!;)

7. Potential Energy

Potential Energy Forum Resident

They filmed IW 1 & 2 simultaneously, so it's mostly in the can at this point.

8. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Only two this year - IW and Ant-Man & Wasp. Only two next year - Captain Marvel and the IW sequel. Beyond that, there's only two officially announced (Guardians & Spider-Man sequels).

supermd and Vidiot like this.
  9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

And Black Panther.
    And the next Spider-Man movie.

10. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

Kind of weird how the Guardians of the Galaxy were in the movie more than a lot of the actual Avengers! Still, a much better MCU film after the rubbish Thor Ragnarok and the absurdly overrated Black Panther.

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Not really. One of them is the daughter of Thanos, and Nebula is there as well. Plus it's by definition a space fantasy so it would be odd if they were in it any less. Parts of it are almost Guardians 3 which makes perfect sense.

12. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I was surprised how much or how little screen time some characters received. Captain America and Black Widow received short shift it seemed. Doctor Strange and GOTG received at lot of the attention. Not necessarily a bad thing. They are obviously pivoting away from the Marvel Phase I characters though.

They've spent so much time building up Thanos as the big baddie that I'm curious what comes next in the villain department.

And why the heck didn't Thanos snap his fingers multiple times? I'd be a finger snappin' fool.

13. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I think given who is left, the phase one characters will be the stars of the next movie, with Steve and Tony getting the lions share of the screen time. That movie will be the last harrah of Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye. I don't think we lose all of them, but i expect a couple to die, a couple to retire, and a couple to take new non-Avenger roles going forward.

If the Fox deal comes through, expect the Fantastic Four and at least a few of the Xmen to finally get the Marvel Studios treatment. Rumor has it they are reshooting Xmen Dark to act ( along with Logan retroactively) as a grand finale to the Fox Singer X-verse , paving the way for the Xmen to get folded into the MCU in some fashion.

With the Fantastic Four you get....Galactus. If i was a betting man, Galactus would be my guess as who may be the next MCU big bad for phase 6 or 7. Perhaps even someone from the cosmic end of the Xmen universe. Phase 4 will likely be more like Phase 1. More stand alone films. phase 5 you may start seeing some cross over.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And this is (as I said) a major problem for fiction writers and screenwriters, because the audience knows that the hero can't die -- at least in a franchise film like Batman or Superman or Spiderman or Harry Potter or James Bond or whatever. This is why there are always "sacrificial lamb" characters who are close to the hero who do wind up dying, just to bring home the whole issue of death and risk and sacrifice. So somebody's gonna really die -- just not the main characters.

Still shooting bits and pieces in Atlanta, London, and other cities until October, so I was told. But that could be second unit and pick-up shots, so I don't know the status on the main unit and the central actors. Post-production has still got 9 months to go.

15. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

You only quoted part of my post there, it kind of takes away the context of what I actually said.

Pete Puma likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

All you heard in the movie was "I am Groot," which is kind of the point. Those words mean something different every time Groot says them. And in this case, it was very poignant and moving that he said this
    as he was dying

Stormrider77 likes this.
  17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I quoted the section I was referring to. I wasn't interested in your opinion of Black Panther and Thor, and I don't see anyway how that is relevant to the Guardians screen time in IW.

18. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I think these last two Avengers films will challenge that trope. I think characters will be permanently dead.

19. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Until the relaunch of course.

20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

No. They don't need a relaunch as there are other heroes they can tell the stories of, including the FF now, and even if they do 'relaunch' they can have different people playing those already established people, like in the comics with the female Thor etc.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  21. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

That's what I mean. Like how Spider Man gets younger and younger, and in some cases these characters change sex. "Dead" is relative here.

superstar19 likes this.
  22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I agree. You can't really kill off a major character in a comic as you have to then cancel that comic, and the comics can always stretch reality. The films are more grounded in reality and they have so much more subject material to explore yet that they don't need these characters in every film/back again.

Having said that I think everyone killed at the end of IW will come back when they do whatever they do but the ones who survived this film may die for good while fighting to bring back the others. That's why none of the 'original' Avengers died in IW as they will be gone in the next one.

superstar19 likes this.
  23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

But Steve or Tony could die for good.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  24. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I actually like the idea of charcacter changes in series (a nice way of saying - knocking off characters) and also unhappy endings.
    But I was so unprepared for it (the later) that my normally jaded self was shocked. (clueless, I don't pay attention - I didn't know a IW2 was in the works)

25. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

To avoid spoilers:

If Cap did or were to die, I believe he would simply remain dead. As Jim said, the movies do not have to turn out 1,000 films like the comic books have to continue turning out issues. Further, Marvel has proven they can make great films from minor comic book characters, so they have plenty of source material to pull from. And now they are getting access to the Fantastic Four and X-Men. I believe they will leave some characters dead.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.