Cd’s when are they obsolete ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pocofan, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Nah mate that was greedy record companies fighting for patent rights. It's happened before and will happen again, always at the expense of the consumer.

Gaslight likes this.
  2. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

True, but they are just holders for digital files, which is the prevailing format nowadays.

You can always burn your own CD, if you really want it in that format. Its no different than putting it on a USB stick or a phone.

later

Starwanderer and Grant like this.
  3. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

For me I've been in the middle of a CD boom the last year. Im finding incredible bargans on lots of stuff ive been seeking. In the last 6 months alone ive added at least a 150 discs to my collection and i don't think I've spent 100 bucks in total. If this is CD's becoming obsolete. I welcome it!

Inevidibly in about a decade when the wave of nostalgia hits the compact disc and they become vogue as vinyl is now, i'll be sitting on a goldmine. That is if i could bring myself to sell them then. Which i seriously doubt I will.

4. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

CD forever.

I don't have Internet.

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Beautiful!:edthumbs:

6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

:confused:

Or are you the poster who uses the Wifi at the library?

Grant and bhazen like this.
  7. bhazen

Starbucks

Grant and Gaslight like this.
  8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Ah.

Use a VPN, I hope? Not for this site necessarily, I mean for online banking or etailers. Open Wifi = risky business otherwise.

9. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

The horse and buggy days may well return.

10. bhazen

Don't know what VPN is, but I only do 'casual' websurfing over wifi. Amazon, etc. I do at work on a physically wired network.

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I went on a used CD spree a couple of years ago because i've been collecting mostly 90s music comps containing music that isn't available any other way.

I do not look for or see resale value, nor doI care. But, what we have has value in that we have lossless music that is getting harder and harder to find and obtain legally.

It doesn't matter what you do anymore. Everyone should be using a VPN now for just being on the internet. Most VPNs are light and do not slow you down.

12. Bobguitar

Bobguitar Forum Resident

Hopefully not any time soon..

mark winstanley likes this.
  13. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I own over 4,000 CDs so I'd love to be proven wrong, but IMO CDs will not likely ever enjoy the kind of resurgence that vinyl currently is. The reasons for the vinyl revival for it go well beyond mere nostalgia, but nostalgia is the only thing that could fuel a CD revival. The actual music that would go on a CD is available without the CD - the exact copy. The CD is just an obsolete storage mechanism. It also doesn't degrade and plays perfectly unless it's really scratched up, which contributes to the very large supply of them. Rare CDs will have value on the market as collectibles in the future, just as they do now. But will today's dollar CDs ever be worth much more than that in today's dollars? Probably not.

x2zero and Szeppelin75 like this.
  14. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

I think CDs will get a revival, but it will be small like the one we're seeing with cassettes. There is no real reason to listen to music from a cassette in 2018, and there won't be any reason to listen to a CD in 2028. Conversely, vinyl still offers the premium visual and tactile musical experience, coupled with the nostalgia factor some people long for.

Starwanderer and ody530 like this.
  15. I expect cartel-like pricing of music streaming down the road, not dissimilar to the cable industry's business model of the past few decades. Music consumers will see rising monthly rates in perpetuity as long as outsiders don't come in to disrupt the music industry. From the record industry's perspective, streaming economics have the added benefit of gutting any power held by individual musicians and acts.

16. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

Well, not really because they were kids back then who only used those. They weren't their ideas. Millennials are very passive indeed.

Wow, I wish the prices were like that in my country. With 100 bucks, I could get ~15 CDs tops.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  17. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Then how did you get here?

scobb and bhazen like this.
  18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Free wifi.

bhazen and vinyl diehard like this.
  19. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

While your statement is true for all people that live close to a major metropolitan area and true for most people in the United States, it is not true for most people in the rest of the world. And will never be true for most people in the rest of the world because what you are talking about is completely unsustainable except for a small amount of very privileged people. Its a bad analogy really. But as long as you believe "The Cloud" will always be there for you, Im happy for you. Everyone needs something they can believe in :)

20. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

I don't think CDs will ever be obsolete. If you mean plastic discs that people burn audio data on. They will just burn backups of their hi res files onto them. Will redbook compact discs eventually stop being made. Yes. They most likely will. Even if its only because the company will sell you the file and expect you to burn it to disc yourself to save expenses.

Malina likes this.
  21. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

prerecorded cassettes never seemed to sound very good to me. However tapes I burned from my LPs sounded great. Usually better than the prerecorded tapes my friends would buy. Even the outside components of blank cassettes looked better than the cheap glued together ones you could buy.

Spadeygrove and andrewskyDE like this.
  22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

One does not "burn" tapes unless you throw them into a fire or set a lighter to them.

mark winstanley likes this.
  23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

all i ever used tapes for was to record concerts off the radio

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The difference here is that hand me down and inherited turntables would still play vinyl. Inexpensive cartridges were still available and could easily be installed by anyone. Most cds players will have broken cheap Chinese laser transports. Laser transports are not easy to install for just anyone, and likely won't be available later on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.