Cd’s when are they obsolete ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pocofan, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

CBS is a joke.

2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Cool

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

with the use of laser optics in so many fields ... gaming (that play cd's) dvd and bluray (that play cd's) that seems unlikely anytime soon

Takehaniyasubiko likes this.
  4. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I wasn't attempting to describe how things are, but how things will be - relatively soon, and permanently thereafter

This has nothing to do with "belief," it's an inevitability.

5. mark winstanley

why would you suggest that "the cloud" will be permanent forevermore and then state that something else will not? are you omniscient? or do you just really like your cloud lol

Stencil, OptimisticGoat and no.nine like this.
  6. NettleBed

I don't use "the cloud." The digital files I listen to are rips from my own media, and played through a home stereo system or a portable device.

I have no self-interest in the matter; my comment was purely based on rather obvious deductions.

Robert C likes this.
  7. mark winstanley

look after those hard drives ...
    what happens when you can't get media? downloads are dying faster than cd's or vinyl ... will you be drawn into the streaming trap?
    what happens when all there is, is streaming and you can't download ... and you have to pay a premium for a listen to anything that you can never own?
    be careful of the traps being set here

8. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

CDs are obsolete when YOU decide they're obsolete.

David Campbell and MitchLT like this.
  9. NettleBed

You are not addressing relevant issues. The eventual future is streaming - or some kind of equivalent - that is everywhere, cheap, and virtually all encompassing. This will happen, because there is no reason why it won't. The things you identify as "traps" are only concerns that will exist prior to what I am describing. It's a very short-sighted view of things. The generation of people who never knew a time when all the music they wanted wasn't available everywhere at any time will have no qualms about the state of things, because it is inherently superior to what we have now, and their minds won't be clouded by primitive fears about "ownership," or notions of nostalgia for the way things once were.

Robert C, dkmonroe and subzro like this.
  10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

The first Millennials were about 18 years old, in 1999.

11. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

The only reason all these corporations are pushing for digital is because they don't want to pay for pressing CDs. They want to keep the current prices for music, but make YOU pay for the storage media. It's terrifying how naive most people are when you show them a pretense of convenience.

Also, I hate the fact that the art of creating actual albums is dying. The trend is to compile short (preferably, under 3 minutes) tracks with naive lyrics and pretend it's an album when it's just a collection of unrelated songs. This is because people tend to buy selected tracks for streaming.

The old music storage formats promoted creating a narrative of sorts because people were expecting to buy a record and have an experience out of it. Now it's just a bunch of stuff bundled for download.

12. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I agree that the eventual future is streaming that is everywhere and all encompassing, but what makes you think it will be cheap? I disagree on that point and think it will become ever more expensive, much like cable TV (or an equivalent amalgam of alternative services) has become almost prohibitively expensive.

no.nine likes this.
  13. NettleBed

Copyright expiration will have a lot to do with that.

14. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

You forgot the graphic . . .

[​IMG]

Malina and mark winstanley like this.
  15. Carl Swanson

So were nuclear-powered flying bubble cars, at one time.

dalem5467 and mark winstanley like this.
  16. Carl Swanson

Not gonna happen. Streaming will never encompass any content that does not meet a certain "profitablity" profile.

17. Carl Swanson

Yep. "Pay up or we shut off the tap."

Oh, and don't ask for anything "obscure."

18. NettleBed

Of course it will happen. This is patently obvious. Music of expired copyright will just be out there, supplied by anybody who desires. There will be no profitability necessity.

19. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

This should be me! Although I read an article recently that I actually fall into a term called 'Xennial' :- between Gen-X and Millenial :goodie:

Xennials - Wikipedia

I do feel way too old to be grouped with those digital-only young 'uns

mark winstanley and Gaslight like this.
  20. Carl Swanson

They're not going to bother with anything that doesn't have what they think is a guaranteed minimum sales level.

Don't be naive.

dalem5467 and no.nine like this.
  21. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

That's already inaccurate. Plenty of obscure titles than have made their way to streaming services...I'm sure the "profitability" margin on those is about as much as a book store with barely remembered titles buried on the shelves.

I do think the US-centric services I've used could use a bit more world music, however.

22. mark winstanley

I mean really dude, that sounds like the kind of guff the hippies were saying at woodstock, just before they all became the cash grabbing yuppies of the me generation... and the me generation can't hold a candle to the selfishness of any of the susequent generations lol

23. Carl Swanson

Ridiculous.

First, actual hippies represented a very small proportion of the Woodstock audience; long hair doesn't a hippy make.

Second, of the people who did attend, saying that "they all" became cash grabbing yuppies is beneath contempt.

dalem5467 likes this.
  24. mark winstanley

Yes hyperbole, but somewhat a picture of what happened. Lets say the woodstock generation then

Takehaniyasubiko likes this.
  25. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

Here's my two cents on formats:-

CD's:
    1. Pretty close to perfect 'one to one' necessity for back-ups of music you own and for sound quality and non-deterioration over time
    2. Maintains the art of an Album-length (70min max) artistic statement and product which you want to associate yourself with

Hard-drives and Clouds:
    1.Too much 'all eggs in one basket' of an approach- easy to lose your entire collection

USB/MicroSD:
    1. Size is too small and lose-able to appreciate. Micro-SD would be good alternative to Hard-drives if all phones accepted them.

Streaming (I used Spotify a lot in the past):
    1. Superb for making playlists to send to people like old-skool mix-tapes
    2. Good for finding new music and filling gaps in your collection (the recommendations which the software makes, as well as the opportunity to get friends' playlists)
    3. At the end of the day it's a rip-off: you don't own nuthin'!

Now I'm in the non-ideal situation of:
    1. Buying/listening to CDs for the car only
    2. Buying vinyl for the art and nostalgia- playing irregularly on a crappy Crosley
    3. Using Spotify played via Sonos for the house or via my phone for on the move

Conclusion:-
    I agree with James Dean Bradfield of Manic Street Preachers- CDs are an under-appreciated format. Great that they decided to include the CD with puchase of the Vinyl for 'Resistance is Futile', this is exactly my kind of backward/forward/messed-up thinking!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.