'The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra,' to be released on June 8!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yorick, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yep, as I predicted earlier. Some tracks could work really well.
    Some of these errrrr........ and damn! that Carl Wilson intro of Good Vibe's.
    they desecrated his vocal. He deserves more respect.
    Kokomo with strings? seriously? I thought that was a joke.
    What did that woman say in the promo, 'enhancing'? ahahahaha
    We Shall See. You can see us all tearing this thing apart here when it arrives.
    Me being one of them.

2. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

How anout more super 8 videos like the ones shown in the video

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

4. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

5. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

Did they auto tune sloop John b? Other than that, Don’t Worry Baby is the song I’m most excited to hear fully.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  6. Rick Bartlett

DWB. I'm excited and frightened. It's my favourite recording and song of all time.
    It just may also make me cut my ears off and bleed out.

7. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

This project made a lot of sense with Elvis for the first disc, the second one was not so great. I found the orchestra overpowering. This will just sound like augmentations for a film soundtrack, I hope it’s better and I want to like it.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  8. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

That's the thing. I'm not against these kinds of projects on principle, but I can't think of the last time an overdub album came out that I thought actually worked. They usually turn out to be uninspired at best, loathsome at worst.

9. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I have to say I kind of like the cover. Not as bad as previous Beach Boys releases.

10. Rick Bartlett

at least unlike 'some' of the previous BB releases, it comes in a hard copy.
    I'd rather have 'keep an eye on summer' though on CD/Vinyl etc

LeeGriffin likes this.
  11. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Well given that they have the worst LP cover in history with Pet Sounds it is no big surprise..

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  12. Rick Bartlett

What!?!! awhhhh, I thought you were serious lol!
    :biglaugh:

13. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

The Beatles will be in line for the orchestrated treatment, once the main players have all passed of course...

Shak Cohen and Rick Bartlett like this.
  14. Rick Bartlett

before you know it, they'll be adding strings to Hank Williams..... oh wait!.....

pudgym likes this.
  15. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Give us Summer in Paradise orchestrated....:uhhuh:

16. Rick Bartlett

yeah!!!! 'Summer of Love' with orchestration! maybe it'll be included as a bonus track.

goodiesguy and oldsurferdude like this.
  17. Rick Bartlett

Seriously though, I like 'Kokomo'. Yep, i'll say it, but with Strings?
    WTF?

Shaddam IV and Peace N. Love like this.
  18. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

I am looking forward to this. I think they done a great job on the Elvis and Roy Orbison ones. Maybe it's not for everyone but hey if you don't like it
    don't listen it's pretty simple. In all likelihood there is not going to be much new Beach Boys recording product, so it will be nice to have this. My
    personal view is that the originals are still there if you want to listen to them and the philharmonic orchestra is great and will be a nice alternative...

Also I actually think the tracklist is good, they include most of their 'great' songs like GV,
    In My Room, The Wramth of the Sun, etc., as well as some surprises - Here Today, Disney Girls, and Kokomo which I like as a fun song.

Yes there are selections i would have liked to have seen including Forever, Surfs Up, etc., but
    maybe next time

BeatleJWOL and DRM like this.
  19. Rick Bartlett

Yes I agree. The problem I have, are newer versions are being replaced by the originals. In the BB camp, original
    mono's are now becoming the new Stereo's, which change all the dynamics of the original.

20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I don t really mind these kind of projects. Always good for the boys to make some more money out of their old stuff. What I don t understand is why since the original recordings are perfect as they are. But that s me.

Shak Cohen and MarkusGermany like this.
  21. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

I saw this as a "dry" announcement on Brian's Facebook page and messaged to see if it was being endorsed by him or simply notification of a release. No response.

I'd like to try to stack this up against Rachel Fuller's recent treatment of Quadrophenia as well as Lou Reisner's Tommy but there is absolutely no way I can justify spending any money at all on this to find out. I don't believe - by any stretch of the imagination - that the concept had anything to do with Brian whatsoever or, if it DID, I can only imagine that he was shoehorned into it.

I'll stick with the beautifully composed and arranged original recordings, thanks very much..... All I'd ask for is the addition of a contribution from Brian to "Kokomo".

coffeetime likes this.
  22. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

I'll listen to it on Spotify out of curiosity, but I won't spend my hard-earned money on it. Maybe if they'd leff off
    "Fun, Fun, Fun" (really?) and included "Lonely Sea" and "Forever", I would've purchased it as a "curiosity" for my
    collection. All in all, I think classical interpretations of the Beach Boys back catalogue are better suited for their pensive, wistful
    ballads. Except for "Fun, Fun, Fun", the selections make sense. But they still should've re-interpreted "Lonely Sea" and "Forever"
    and added a few other deep tracks.

I've been known to have clairvoyant powers, so you read it here first: Frank Sinatra With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

Fleet Fox likes this.
  23. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Uh? Your post seems to suggest this is an effort along the lines of the boys seminal 1998 masterpiece 'Salute Nascar' with new vocals by the touring band members. I don't think that's the case. As I understand it, this is the orchestra slathering their magic over vintage BBs recordings.

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Got to admit it would be interesting hearing the Royals take on Don't Talk.

If it's on new release?

25. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

I love the Beach Boys and I cannot imagine why anyone wants this to exist.

ronbow and MarkusGermany like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.