Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

As beautiful as this looks, I bet the wow & flutter must be off the scale and the tracking must be all over the place. I bet it sounds very wayward...

...after consuming all that whiskey :laugh:

2. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

With whiskey everything sound better :D

3. BigGame, SandAndGlass and bluesaddict like this.
  4. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Is that an ice cube in that fine glass of single malt?? Heresy! :D

5. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

Its hot out there :D:angel:

drum_cas likes this.
  6. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I think you need some Annie Lennox to join that Dave Stewart whiskey :):) . As they sang together, "Sweet Dreams Are Made of This" (Eurthymics...).

7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Looks like you’ve been luted. ;)

AlmanacZinger, Shiver, vanye and 10 others like this.
  8. bono

bono Well-Known Member

9. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

personally, I use those small round granite rocks. i freeze them, and place in my glass, then pour in some single malt, as to NOT dilute the precious fluid.
    also I do use a splash of filtered water in some specific scotch, johnny walker, and the off brand single malts which need it.

otherwise its no ice allowed, as most home ice makers use tap water, which is bad anyway, chlorine, fluoride, other chemicals. and NO fluoride is not good for your teeth or body. Flouride has the almost identical chemical structure to calcium, so your body "thinks" its absorbing calcium, when in fact it is absorbing fluoride. fluoride is a chemical used to make bombs back in WW1 and WW2 i think, and later, and we have such an abundance of it, the govt puts it in everything, and used the media to push it, and dentists as well. " YOU NEED FLOURIDE FOR YOUR TEETH" no you dont, its a dangerous chemical. and should never be ingested.

hell, i see it in baby water.......talk about disgusting, saying its ok for your babies to ingest fluoride. sure its small amounts, but it takes its toll on your body over the years.

16hz lover, Shiver and Dennis0675 like this.
  10. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

That Balvenie is so good!

BigGame and Kristofa like this.
  11. Davey

Davey NP: Rosali ~ Bite Down (2024)

Got another Conrad-Johnson Premier 11A amplifier on the bench today, just a quick checkout to make sure it's working OK before sticking it in the main system for some serious listening. This one is wired for triode operation with EL34 tubes instead of the normal 6550 or KT120 types, and is designated Premier 11-XS. Output power is reduced from 70 to 35 watts per channel when running triode. This one also has some of the capacitors upgraded to teflon. Should sound really nice and smooth, came up recently for a pretty nice price and was gonna be hard to pass up, so I didn't even try :)

[​IMG]

12. timind

timind phorum rezident

Yasoo filos, and welcome to the forum.

13. Davey

And now the Conrad-Johnson amp I was checking out above is installed in the main system, warmed up and sounding really nice, there is more dimension to the sound, smooth and spacious, just a bit more fun. This is my first taste of EL34 as triode outputs, and I can start to see why some say it's addictive, right now everything just sounds better and more organic. Started out with a record that was still on the table from earlier, the Shackleton and Anika Behind the Glass album from last year, side 3, and wow, sounds nice, very three dimensional, and I thought it was already that way! Next up some other new stuff from this year, the very cool French electronica-kosmische duo Egyptology with Sur Les Autres Mondes, that's the cover partly showing behind the table, and another one sounding better than I remember. This amp is gonna be fun to explore, definitely sounds more the way I like, just have to make sure it has enough power when wired for triode operation. In any case, it still has the teflon upgrade so is a step ahead of my other amp there, and the triode wiring change is fairly simple, so I can convert it back to the original output stage if I wind up feeling the need for more juice, even though CJ normally does it at their facility (and did on this one) they supply simple instructions. Really liking the sound so far, though :)

[​IMG]

Sorry, didn't mean to monopolize the thread, just kind of a slow day in audio system photo land :)

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Dred, JUCO, barfko and 33 others like this.
  14. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

I see Magnolia Electric Co. - very nice.

15. Davey

Yea, Jason is one of my big favorites, just checked and I have over 100 posts mentioning him, kind of embarrassing when you see it all listed out like that, but no apologies, he was such a great talent and I miss him all the time ... Nashville Moon by Magnolia Electric Co - good stuff!

Rupe33, Dennis0675, Jtycho and 2 others like this.
  16. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

I've been spinning the Molina & Jonson record a ton lately. I'm a big Jason fan too...

Mogens, Craig and Davey like this.
  17. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

What turntable brand is that? Kika and Magnolia — only the best.

18. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

How do you rate those speakers? Was thnking of changing my floorstanders BX5 back to standmounts and been looking at those ones.

19. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Make sure you include Rye whiskey.

Dennis0675, MaxxMaxx4 and BigGame like this.
  20. Davey

Clearaudio Avantgarde ... The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread, Pt. 4

I love em, picked them up used for just over $1000 and they really sound good, only problem is that I want to get the platinum version now. Oh well, always something left to upgrade, have you seen the new Monitor Audio Studio speakers? I'd be very tempted to give them a listen if on the hunt for new standmounts, they look to have a lot of value packed in those boxes, and initial reviews have been stellar, though you'd first have to like the clean, contemporary design, which I kinda do. They have the MPD tweeter passed down from the newer platinum II series, along with the sandwich cone drivers in a D’Appolito configuration, all mounted to an aluminum sub-baffle... anyway, just a thought, they are a highly engineered speaker ... Monitor Audio Studio

[​IMG]

https://totallywiredaudio.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/platinumiiwhitepaper.pdf

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    16hz lover, mktracy, 33na3rd and 3 others like this.
  21. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I see one of my favorite Era/Peachtree speakers.

Davey likes this.
  22. Davey

Yep, as you know, one of the best deals in recent times when they blew those out at $199 pair.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have a couple of pairs of D5's, a pair of D4's, a pair of DS4.5's and Era D14 towers.

I used to tell people all about these speakers. You could not get a better deal on those bookshelf speakers.

As a matter of fact. A good friend of mine, who is also a regular motel guest has one of my D5's in his small, about 175 sq. ft. motel room. We were powering it with a Peachtree iDAC, which bit the dust a few days back. We were powering it with a Sherborn 50-Watt SS amp.

I took the DAC and the amp back and replaced it with a Peachtree Decco65, we added in a small Martin Logan 8" sub and he is rocking out to some techno-trance music, happy as a pig in...

My last amp is a L4 Audio Note Kit Amp. It runs off of a quad EL34 power tubes. It is the nicest sounding amp that I have ever owned. I have it powering the Altec Lansing vintage A7's.

24. Davey

Wanted to open the preamp to look at something, so thought I'd take the opportunity to roll some tubes today, NOS Philips PCC88 in the preamp in place of the (relatively) inexpensive Electro-Harmonix 6922EH. Got three sets of tubes when I bought the preamp, the other set is ARC ECC88, but these Philips will probably be the ones that stay in there for now. Any thoughts on favorite 6922 type tubes? Maybe a little too far off-topic for here, I'll have a look at past threads. The Shackleton & Anika record sounding very good today, nice and dreamy psychedelic, getting kind of addictive with these recent changes ...

[​IMG]

arar, Spica, Donniej and 26 others like this.
  25. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Wine weefer and woofers:)

Rickchick, Bananas&blow and Kristofa like this.