ABBA single by single thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

I was slightly surprised to find that this thread has never been made before.

I'm mainly going to be to including the singles that were features in "The Definitive Collection" but we will mention other singles along the way.

People Need Love (1972)

Released: June 1, 1972
    Charts: #7 (Sweden)

2. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

S.O.S and "Knowing Me,Knowing You". Two of the best singles ever.

3. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

The PNL clips with the "Fake Agnetha" are quite amusing

4. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

This thread seemed to have gotten lost, because I would think with all the ABBA fans here there would of been some activity! I also didn't find a thread specific to Abba singles like this. I think it's a good idea and the timing couldn't be better. With new a new song coming at the end of 2018, this makes a nice build up to that event.

"People Need Love" was a single here released on a small label that folded. I don't own the single, it's out of my price league! I would have never known about it had it not been for the (1976) Greatest Hits album. Because even their first album, Ring Ring was not released here until the 1990's! This single is pure fun ABBA, four people trying out a song in English together. The B-side was Merry-Go-Round, was this (single) release in the US the Swedish language version, or had this already been recorded in English too?

Hoping this thread catches on! :)

gja586 and Big Pasi like this.
  5. John Adam

I think the "Real Agnetha" was very pregnant and not able or willing to do this appearance! Maybe they thought no one would know the difference. :) The girl though is very pretty.

6. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

A good song. Should have been big on UK charts.

7. Paul Rymer

It wasn't released in the UK as a single, and not on an album until Greatest Hits in '75. It's a nice track but they had far better songs, and it sounds dated to me.

8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It was on the (park bench) Greatest Hits album here. It’s first airing in the UK.

Like most of the first 2 studio albums, it hints at better things to come. People Need Love does (like a lot of the Ring Ring LP) sound like it was specifically written for that year’s Eurovision Song Contest. Which it might well have been.:D

9. Paul Rymer

I think there's just one version of this song (not counting possible live recordings). To me this song is hugely reminiscent of the New Seekers coke ad 'I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing'.

GoodKitty likes this.
  10. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

The music isn't bad but the lyrics could have used a little more work.

11. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I love the crashing intro - it’s the best the part of the song. They really tried to channel to early 70’s up with people folk movement (I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing, et al.).

It was also the beginning of the boys/girls back and forth vocal (Love Isn’t Easy, Honey Honey) until Bjorn realized the Agnetha and Frida solo vocals were their meal ticket.

12. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

She was a friend of Frida’s that they used as a stand in. Inger Brundin.

Here’s another one!

13. steelvelvet20

The video clip of Ring ring sounds much nicer than the album version. The album version is unbelievably insipid.

Steve Carras likes this.
  14. John Adam

It does sound dated, but it was a vehicle for the four of them to sing, to see what it would be like. It lacks the polish of later ABBA tracks.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  15. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: "Ring Ring" isn't much of a song, but it did inspire this some nine years later:

16. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) / The King Has Lost His Crown
    . . . . . . . . . .
    Artist ABBA
    Type Single
    Released October 1979

Not sure how it charted, but a storming 4 on the floor DISCO Beast of a track. Def a Top 5 for me.

delmonaco likes this.
  17. steelvelvet20

Nina pretty ballerina especially.

18. steelvelvet20

Why wasn't this released in the USA?

Steve Carras likes this.
  19. John Adam

It was. On Atlantic records in a single edit form.

Steve Carras and steelvelvet20 like this.
  20. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

"People Need Love" really doesn't do anything for me ... it sounds like it should be a Coke commercial from the early 70s. "Ring Ring" much better and nice to hear the girls up front. They are already starting to move toward that great early 60s girl group Spector/Brill Building sound that defined their early glory days.

Jrr likes this.
  21. John Dyson

John Dyson Forum Resident

I just listened to a couple of versions of Ring Ring. The 'Ring Ring' on the Remastered and Japanese versions of the 'Ring Ring' album was incredibly compressed like a lot of remasters. The original Ring Ring on the ABBA album is listenable only if it has been DolbyA decoded (assuming if you have the CD.) It is likely that the real vinyl album was properly handled so should sound similar to my DolbyA decoded copy of the ABBA album. I do think that it could stand a little bit of sweetening like on the Youtube (video) version.

I really have no complaints about the Ring Ring on the ABBA album -- like all ABBA a little aggressive on compression. However, the YouTube version was very sweetened and much more compressed. Sometimes that 'sweetened' sound is a good thing, however.

if you have a pristine digital copy of it -- you can sweeten or expand it slightly to you hearts content :). However, if you get one of those hyper compressed remasters, all bets are off. (Speaking of hyper compressed -- I have a copy of ABBA gold that is laughably over compressed -- if it didn't cost me money, it would be funny.)

John

Biscuit Warehouse likes this.
  22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The first couple of singles sound like The Brotherhood of Man. The jump to Ring Ring was sort of like the jump from From Me to You to She Loves You.

23. Haristar

Well I'm glad this thread is finally getting some notice. :D

"People Need Love" is a good start for a debut single but I feel like they hadn't quite got there yet for me.

Jrr and John Adam like this.
  24. Haristar

He Is Your Brother (1972)

B-side: Santa Rosa
    Released: November 1, 1972

25. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Like Bobby Morrow my first exposure to this song {People Need Love} was on the Greatest Hits album, always found it a fun, if innofensive song, very much leaning on the folkier side of the group, a side that was more prevalent in the early days. Looking forward to this thread taking off.

John Adam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.