Ultimate HQCD (UHQCD) - new CD format, King Crimson on UHQCD and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Aug 10, 2016.

1. sound_mind

sound_mind Well-Known Member

I Agree
    Going by the details on the Universal site for the Blue Note titles which were released on SHM SACDs and as DSD-64-DSF downloads last year.
    Blue Note SHM SACDs
    If the google translation is correct, they have up-converted the DSD64* master to 24-bit, 352.8 kHz (DXD) then compressed it using the lossy MQA technique.
    *I'm saying DSD64 as that was the resolution the Blue Note titles were released at last year. Possibly, the original tapes could have been transferred at DSD128. Even though the actual 2017 Blue Note mastering information was sketchy, it did state DSD not DXD.

2. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Does anyone think these will sound any different if playing on just a regular CD player or even a blu-ray player with the DSD encoder?

I noticed that the Carpenters are getting a release on June 20th of "The Singles 69-73"
    What I found interesting on this release is that they are using the DSD Master from 2014 by Richard Carpenter & Bernie Grundman.

The Singles 1969 - 1973 [Hi-Res CD (MQA x UHQCD)] [Limited Release] Carpenters CD Album

Description
    "Reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Features the DSD master in 2014 (by Richard Carpenter & Bernie Grundman), using US original master tapes. The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution (perfect for MQA-enabled audio players). Comes with lyrics and a description. Green color label coating. Comes in a slim case packaging. *The disc can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution. However, MQA-enabled hardware/software is necessary to harness the full potential of this Hi-Res CD."

I bought the 2014 Super Audio CD ~ SHM with the DSD when Japan issued this back in 2014. The disc itself also has a green coating with the SHM and DSD logos.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  3. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

New Jazz release announced by SSJ (Sinatra Society of Japan) with attractive price of $20.46 for Japan Mini LP.
    However, description is very confusing: in some places they said HQCD, but mentioned Ultimate HQCD (UHQCD) - in the description.

June 20, 2018

Oscar Peterson Trio Live in Cologne 1970
    (Mini LP UHQCD?)

(translation)
    Live in Cologne 1970 [HQCD] / Oscar Peterson Trio
    A few performances record by Oscar Peterson's regular trio that existed only for a short period in the early 1970s. For George Mraz (b) and Ray Price (ds), there are only four albums for three at the moment. The recording recorded publicly in London in December 1970 was added here. Peterson's virtue of swinging by driving a solid, melodic base of Mraz, a light and crisp Ray Price drums is still alive here. World first debut. Paper jacket / Ultimate HQCD specification.

Please note: this album was released in Germany a couple years ago and costs $17 on eBay w/shipping directly from Germany. However, I believe it makes sense to spend 3-4 bucks more on Japanese Mini LP UHQCD - all my SSJ releases sound excellent, and I have a lot of them.

Review
    "This particular trio of Oscar's was not together for a great deal of time, but it is as good as any of the trios. Ray Price is someone who should have been far better known than he is. He is still alive and well, in his 80's and online on a brief youtube video from a Seattle jam session playing the drums like he did 50 years ago. George Mraz is self-explanatory.....magnificent. I became an Oscar fan in my late teens and was aware of this trio then. It is really nice to see some previously unreleased material of this particular group. I also have the "Rare Sessions In London" from 1971. I paid a good deal of money for it because it is a Japanese pressing of it. It was worth it. This was worth it, too." (amazon 2016)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. toilet_doctor

Universal announced new audio breed: Hi-Res CD

"This is the final evolutionary form of CD!" -- Universal, Japan

When hi-res MQA tech broke through (a few years ago), it meant to be for downloading files, for HD-track guys. I knew that it could be placed on CD, but who will do it? However, it finally happened, and I'm glad that Uni chose UHQCD (the subject of this thread) as a MQA file carrier.

Yes, guys, the latest digital technology met the best CD materials:

Hi-Res CD Brief Introduction

[​IMG]

Hi-Res CD is a high-fidelity CD which combines MQA technology and UHQCD format (currently available exclusively in Japan only) together for the first time in the world. With this combination, Hi-Res CD realizes the high-resolution and compatibility at the same time.

"Hi-Res CD uses two key features to realize the high fidelity, capability, and compatibility.

The first key feature is MQA, which stands for Master Quality Authenticated.
    By using this coding technology, large size high resolution audio files are capsulized while keeping their quality. If you play Hi-Res CD on MQA-enabled hardware/software, capsulized files will be decoded, and the full potential of the disc will be harnessed. For more details, visit
    MQA Technology in Detail (external link) http://www.mqa.co.uk/professional/

The second key feature is UHQCD format.
    Even if you do not have MQA-enabled hardware/software, the disc can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution, which is far better than that of regular CD. For more details, visit
    All About Ultimate High Quality CD

As the first batch of Hi-Res CD release, Universal Music Japan will be releasing three low-priced samplers as well as 100 popular titles listed below.
    How about trying to listen to another dimension of the sound?

MQA-enabled Hardware List

*This list was made on April 24, 2018, and is NOT list all the MQA-enabled devices. You can check its compatibility with MQA logo or spec detail on each product's description.

Device / Category
    Audioquest DragonFly Black USB DAC
    Audioquest DragonFly Red USB DAC
    dCS "Rossini" DAC
    dCS "Vivaldi" DAC
    dCS "Network Bridge" Interface Device
    dCS "Vivaldi One" Universal Audio Player
    dCS "Vivaldi Upsampler"
    ESOTERIC N-01 Network Audio Player
    iFi Nano iDSD Black Label USB DAC
    Kripton KS-9Multi Active Speaker
    LUMIN U1 Network Transport
    LG V30 Mobile Phone
    Meridian 808v6 CD Player
    Meridian 818v3 Preamplifier
    Meridian Explorer2 USB DAC
    Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier
    Meridian Ultra DAC
    Mytek Digital Brooklyn DAC
    Mytek Digital Brooklyn+ DAC
    Mytek Digital Manhattan2 DAC
    ONKYO DP-X1 DAP
    ONKYO DP-X1A DAP
    ONKYO GRANBEAT DP-CMX1 Mobile Phone
    ONKYO "rubato" "DP-S1" DAP
    OPPO UDP205 Universal Player
    PIONEER "private" "XDP-30R" DAP
    PIONEER "private" "XDP-20" DAP
    PIONEER XDP-100R DAP
    SONY NW-A40 SERIES DAP
    SONY NW-WM1Z DAP
    SONY NW-ZX300 DAP
    SONY WM1A DAP
    TEAC NT-505 USB DAC/Network Player
    TEAC UD-505 USB DAC/Headphone Amplifier
    Technics SU-G30 Network Audio Amplifier

Frequent Question & Answer on Hi-Res CD

1. Does Hi-Res CD have two layers of data like SACD Hybrid discs?
    No, it has only one layer. Regular CD players are capable of outputting the audio only in 44.1kHz/16bit. However, when decoded the audio can be listened to 352.8kHz/24bit resolution on MQA-enabled audio players.

A very few titles (*) are not available in 352.8kHz/24bit resolution even when they are decoded. Please refer each detailed spec written on each product description.
    *UICY-40190, UICY-40191 (As of April 25, 2018).

2. Is there more storage capacity on Hi-Res CD?
    No, it is still a Compact Disc, fully compatible with regular CD players. UHQCD (as well as SHM-CD and Blu-spec CD) improves audio through the use of better materials, supposedly with improved optical characteristics. The audio is further improved through technologies to cutting data on the disc surface with higher precision and accuracy.

3. What is the format of the 352.8kHz/24bit audio?
    It is in MQA-file format. You specifically need MAQ-enabled software/hardware to play it audio in this format. For more details, visit MQA official website where they detail how it works.

5. toilet_doctor

Hi-Res CD Samplers 2CD set [$9.17]

June 20, 2018

Hi-Res CD Sampler for Rock [Hi-Res 2CD (MQA x UHQCD)]
    Hi-Res CD Sampler for Jazz [Hi-Res 2CD (MQA x UHQCD)]
    Hi-Res CD Sampler for Classical [Hi-Res 2CD (MQA x UHQCD)]

"Japan only Hi-Res CD (MQA-CD x UHQCD) compilation featuring two discs--one with tracks in Hi-Res CD quality and the other with the same tracks in standard CD quality so that you can compare the sounds. Green color label coating. If you play Hi-Res CD on MQA-enabled hardware, you can listen to the hi-res quality sound based on the original master. *Hi-Res CD can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution. However, MQA-enabled hardware/software is necessary to harness the full potential of this Hi-Res CD."

Hi-Res CD Sampler for Rock [Hi-Res 2CD (MQA x UHQCD)]

DISC 1 (Hi-Res CD)

1 California Girls / the Beach Boys
    2 Tears of Rage / The Band
    3 You Don't Love Me / The Allman Brothers Band
    4 John Barleycorn Must Die / Traffic
    5 Mr. Big / Free
    6 Mandolin Wind / Rod Stewart
    7 In the dead of Night / U.K.
    8 Shout / Tears for Fears
    9 What's Going on / Marvin Gaye

DISC 2 (Regular CD)
    1 California Girls / the Beach Boys
    2 Tears of Rage / The Band
    3 You Don't Love Me / The Allman Brothers Band
    4 John Barleycorn Must Die / Traffic
    5 Mr. Big / Free
    6 Mandolin Wind / Rod Stewart
    7 In the dead of Night / U.K.
    8 Shout / Tears for Fears
    9 What's Going on / Marvin Gaye

Hi-Res CD Sampler for Jazz [Hi-Res 2CD (MQA x UHQCD)]

DISC 1 (Hi-Res CD)
    1 AUTUMN LEAVES
    2 SAY IT (OVER AND OVER AGAIN)
    3 THE GIRL FROM IPANEMA (STEREO VERSION) / Joao Gilberto
    4 MOANIN'
    5 DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES
    6 OLD DEVIL MOON
    7 CLEOPATRA'S DREAM
    8 THE CAT (ALBUM VERSION) / Lalo Schifrin

DISC 2 (Regular CD)
    (Sorry, no info - they mistakenly put Disc 1 here).

6. toilet_doctor

Alongside with 3 Hi-Res 2CD Samplers, Universal releasing 100 Hi-Res CD titles:

Price is 3000 Yen (currently - $27.52) and 4000 Yen for double CD; comes in a "slim case" (?)
    In comparison, SHM-SACD in Jewel case - 3500 Yen (currently - $32.10)

June 20, 2018

Hi-Res CD Pop & Rock Titles /Date of Remastering

Rolling Stone Sticky Fingers (2011)
    Rolling Stone Exile on Main Street (2011)
    Rolling Stone It's Only Rock 'n Roll (2011)
    The Who Tommy (2010)
    The Who Who's Next (2010)
    The Who The Singles (2011)
    John Mayall & The Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton (2010)
    ream Disraeli Gear (2013)
    Cream Wheels of Fire (2013)
    Blind Faith S/T (2013)
    Derek & Dominos Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (2013)
    Eric Clapton 461 Ocean Boulevard (2018)
    Traffic John Barleycorn Must Die (2018)
    Free Fire and Water (2018)
    Rod Steward Every Picture Tells A Story (2013)
    The Beach Boys Pet Sounds (2014/18)
    The Beach Boys The Endless Summer (2014/18)
    The Velvet Underground & Nico S/T (2018)
    The Band Music from Big Pink (2014)
    The Band S/T (2014)
    The Allman Brothers At Fillmore East (2014)
    The Allman Brothers Brothers and Sisters (2018)
    Wishbone Ash Argus (2013)
    10CC Original Soundtrack (2013)
    Queen A Night at the Opera (2011)
    Queen The Game (2011)
    Genesis Foxtrot (2007)
    Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells (2011)
    Tangerine Dream Phaedra (2015)
    Ritchie Blackmore Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow (2014)
    U.K. S/T (2014)
    U.K. Danger Money (2014)
    Azia S/T (2010)
    Steely Dan Pretzel Logic (2014)
    Steely Dan Royal Scam (2018)
    Steely Dan Aja (2018)
    Roxy Music Avalon (2015)
    Bryan Ferry Boys and Girls (2015)
    Supertramp Breakfast in America (2013)
    Sex Pistols Never Mind the Bullocks Here Is Sex Pistols (2013)
    Dire Straits S/T (2013)
    Dire Straits Love Over Gold (2013)
    Dire Straits Brothers in Arms (2014)
    Police Synchronicity (2013)
    Tears for Fears Songs from the Big Chair (2011)
    Carpenters Singles 1969-1973 (2014)
    Stevie Wonder Talkin' Book (2011)
    Stevie Wonder Innervisions (2011)
    Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life 2CD (2011)
    Marvin Gaye What's Is Going On (2013)

Hi-Res CD Jazz/Fusion Titles

Stan Getz Getz / Gilberto (2002)
    The Oscar Peterson Trio We Get Requests (2010)
    Bill Evans At the Monteux Jazz Festival (2010)
    Bill Evans Alone (2010)
    Ella Fitzgerald Ella and Louis (2002)
    Antonio Carlos Jobim The Composer of Desafinado, Plays (1995)
    Wes Montgomery California Dreaming (2008)
    Wes Montgomery Smokin' at the Half Note (2008)
    Anita O'Day Anita Sings the Most (2007)
    Jimmy Smith The Cat (2010)
    John Coltrane Quartet Ballads (2010)
    John Coltrane A Love Supreme (2002)
    John Coltrane John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman (2004)
    John Coltrane Blue Train (2011)
    McCoy Tyner Night of Ballads and Blues (2011)
    Oliver Nelson The Blues and the Abstract Truth (2011)
    Cannonball Adderley Something Else (2017)
    Sonny Clark Cool Struttin (2017)
    Herbie Hancock Mayden Voyage (2017)
    Art Blakey & Jazz Messengers Moanin' (2017)
    Art Blakey & Jazz Messengers Night in Tunisia (2017)
    Sonny Rollins A Night at the Village Vanguard (2017)
    Bud Powel The Scene Changes (2017)
    Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue (2017)
    Lee Morgan Candy (2017)
    Marvin Gaye What's Is Going On (2013)

9 Titles with 2018 "Latest DSD Master" (flat transfer?)

Eric Clapton 461 Ocean Boulevard
    Traffic John Barleycorn Must Die
    Free Fire and Water
    The Beach Boys Pet Sounds
    (partially 2014/18)
    The Beach Boys The Endless Summer (partially 2014/18)
    The Velvet Underground & Nico S/T
    The Allman Brothers Brothers and Sisters
    Steely Dan Royal Scam
    Steely Dan Aja

Steely Dan The Royal Scam is only title which is new to the previous Uni project SHM-SACD/Pt SHM and non-Pt SHM.

"Reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Features the DSD master in 2018, using US original master tapes. The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution (perfect for MQA-enabled audio players). Comes with lyrics and a description. Green color label coating. Comes in a slim case packaging. *The disc can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution. However, MQA-enabled hardware/software is necessary to harness the full potential of this Hi-Res CD."

(translation)
    "Aja [MQA / UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Steely Dan
    [Hi-Res CD series] MQA-CD × UHQCD = High quality sound disc that you can listen to high res. This is the final evolution form of CD! Donald Fagen and Walter Becker, the 6th album that they became the unit of the strongest two, released smart musicality, skillfully incorporating elements of soul and jazz Sophisticated performances by musicians of the Grammy Awards, and the sound quality that won the Grammy Award for Best Recording Awards gathers a tremendous reputation for eternal masterpieces. (Announced in 1977 / master of 2018)
    ● Recording by converting the latest DSD master of 2018 based on US original analog tape to 352.8 kHz / 24 bit (high resolution undelivered sound source)
    ● Commentary / lyrics
    ● Green Color Label Coating
    ● Slim Case Belt
    * High Resolution CD Series is a high-quality CD (UHQCD) that can be played on all CD players (44.1 kHz / 16 bit). If you use MQA compatible equipment, you can play with the high quality of the original master street.

We will not discuss technical or ethical aspects of the MQA - there are a few MQA treads for that, but the end result that looks promising: there are many positive reports from those who heard it, pointing out the clarity of the sound called "de-blurring".

However, what we need to keep in mind:
    If recording/mastering was not good, don't buy MQA version! (Genesis, Queen come to mind).
    Please first check the best SHM-SACD Part 3 list.

"The "de-blurring" happens during the encoding process, not the decoding process. That's what makes even an un-MQA-decoded file sound "better."
    I have heard the result on very revealing systems and can attest that it is both different and an improvement. It's no "magic bullet;" no container can fix a bad recording. But, with a good to great recording, this container system does less harm. The most revealing demo I've heard was a live recording made in a church. The "regular" file sounded good. The MQA file, though, was spectacular: The reverb in the space became more specific, more real. The audience's conversation was more intelligible, the host's speech was clearer, the choir became a collection of singers as opposed to a mass voice and the vocalist's performance was even more magical. I liken the process to focusing a photographic image.
    However, the system isn't magic. If the original recording sucks, there's not much that MQA can do
    ."

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  7. toilet_doctor

Uni is not a first who came with MQA CDs. About a year ago Japanese independent company Ottava produced MQA-CD.
    There is Audiophile article about this release with some Question & Answer in the end:

MQA-Encoded CDs? Yes!
    Jason Victor Serinus | Mar 16, 2017

MQA-Encoded CDs? Yes!

8. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Hopefully these are a flop.

9. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

And/or they release the 2018 transfers in SACD where they become.

Musicisthebest and brimuchmuze like this.
  10. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Probably they will find a way to "MQA" previously released SACD's :(

jhm likes this.
  11. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Ugh, I meant to say "belong". Stupid auto correct.

12. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Interesting. Who are you quoting here?

toilet_doctor likes this.
  13. toilet_doctor

This is a guy from Stereophile forum who posted that a year ago in a matter of first MQA-CD release.

14. redfox62

redfox62 Forum Resident

Remember. The good thing is not mqa, but the new transfer. They'll sound fantastic itself, as it happened with many shm/ shm platinum and shm sacd.....

15. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

True, but I wish they didn't mess with mqa and just offered SHM-SACDs.

sunspot42, soundboy, jhm and 4 others like this.
  16. redfox62

redfox62 Forum Resident

I wish they simply offered cd....

17. This x 1000!

sunspot42, McLover and jhm like this.
  18. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Can the Oppo UDP-205 play these in MQA? It can play MQA files but I don't know about CDs. Interesting that the Beach Boys Endless Summer is one of the titles with the original tracks only. Finally a Beach Boys compilation without Good Vibrations. I'll buy this one just for that.

DHamilton likes this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

MQA is no assurance of master or quality. High res, it's not. By Redbook CD standards potentially excellent if mastered correctly from good sources.

The Beave and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

That is more like it, much closer to quality.

21. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

"The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution"

352,800 Hz? Is that still sound or have we reached the frequency range of colours?

22. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

:-popcorn:

And away we goooooo!
    Beave

23. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

....you gonna eat that popcorn ? :p

24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

How much were they paid to say that?

gjuro76, The Beave, rnranimal and 2 others like this.
  25. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

That might all depend on how much one may be willing to sell one's professional reputation for, or how impressed one is that they'd be willing to bet that reputation on others agreeing with them.