The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

Just picked up Riot's Narita and Fire Down Under at a record festival over the weekend.

2. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Not at all.

3. moops

moops Senior Member

A top 5 album for me ever since hearing it back in '97, when my mates and I were catching a week of shows from the Cherone-era VH ( VH's first ever tour of Australia, so we took what we could get ! )
    We went CD shopping one day, I took a chance on this after seeing the clip on late night telly.
    Sitting 'round, having beers and hearing this for the first time, we were like ...... Holy @#$% what is this ?!!
    Anyway, this is a hidden jewel in the Devin Townsend oeuvre, it's heavy, super-melodic, progressive and it rocks. Hard to believe he wrote this and SYL's City pretty much the same time. A talented chap.

4. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

1997 was a pretty great year for progressive metal. Ocean Machine: Biomech, A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning, Ink Complete by Spastic Ink, City by Strapping Young Lad, The Divine Wings of Tragedy by Symphony X, Spiritech by Alchemist, Paradox by Royal Hunt, A Mended Rhyme by Tad Morose, Hopeless Hopes by Martyr, State of Mind by Elegy and several others. Arguably one of the genre's best years in virtually every subgenre.

Natvecal., Matthew Tate and moops like this.
  5. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Symphony X: The Divine Wings of Tragedy is the standout for me from this list (although I'm unfamiliar with several mentioned). Perhaps the bands crowning achievement.

6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Great albums, you might be interested in this RIOT documentary, this is part II covering the FDU / Rhett F era.

Natvecal., Doggiedogma and Northwind like this.
  7. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

I rescued this vynil from the £1 bin at the weekend...I'd heard about them back in the day, thought they were supposed to be some kind of aspiring Priest clones, but never heard anything until now. It's quite good, but not particularly JP...trying to remember what other new UK HM bands there were around 1989, nothing memorable. Could this be the Last Great British Heavy Metal Album?

Doggiedogma likes this.
  8. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

No.

jeffgt14 likes this.
  9. redmax

redmax Forum Resident

I just found this post. I still miss the Stonerrock.com boards. I especially loved the Classic Albums page, I shared a lot of info with some very cool people on there, discussing Leaf Hound, Flower Travellin' Band and many other greats. I remember Godshifter, Sativa71, Arsgarth... Happy daze.

GodShifter likes this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Apparently it’s back. StonerRock.com V2. A guy bought out Danno and has revived the board and has taken over ATIH.

You can’t relive the past. The period of time it existed was great but even in its final years it was a shadow of its former self. I won’t be returning (though I did register).

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  11. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

I'm curious what your favorite guitar has been for heavy metal (as a listener, player or both!)?

Super Strat (i.e, Charvel, Jackson, Kramer)
    Flying V
    Gibson Les Paul
    Ibanez Destroyer
    other (please list)

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

I’m not much of a guitarist (I’m a good rhythm player, but poor at leads). I prefer a Gibson Les Paul (I have a 1957 gold top), but I also have a Flying V. The Les Paul has always been my ‘go to’ guitar.

Natvecal. and mdent like this.
  13. redmax

redmax Forum Resident

Thanks for telling me. I've registered, but was never part of the main community so probably won't be on there much. Like you say, it was great at the time

GodShifter likes this.
  14. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Have you heard the 2 bonus tracks on the live album from City sessions (Centipede, Japan)? They sound more like Ocean Machine than SYL. Also the ultra rare Ass-Sordid Demos album has a song called Ocean Machine than I can’t believe wasn’t on the album.

16. moops

moops Senior Member

Yep, I love Japan. It has one of those massive choruses that emerge from seemingly out of nowhere. The song Ocean Machines is great and should have made it onto the album somewhere, though I thing he could have trimmed it down a little, it sounds to me like he didn't quite know how to end it. :laugh:

For those curious ....

Brenald79 likes this.
  17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

[​IMG]

MikeInFla, Doggiedogma and mdent like this.
  18. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

[​IMG]

I have a terrible answer of the it's not the camera it's the photographer type of answer. No doubt the guitarist has sonic qualities in their choice but I just like what they are using for what I am listening to at the moment. Above is Seth of Behemoth with an ESP because their new Blu-ray is in rotation. And I'm even more shallow as aesthetics matter. There are exceptions such as I never liked the look of a Stratocaster but have always loved Jimi. He could play a ukulele and still be a god. During a YOB kick I loved Monsoon guitars such as Mike Scheidt's. There something cool about custom guitars. Not the same old thing.

[​IMG]

Just jump to 2:45 for the majestic solo playing by Seth and why it's ESP today.

lenny nero and mdent like this.
  19. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Nice.

Certainly the magic tone is in the fingers yet I find many ESP guitars I have played have fast thin necks and quality electronics. Aesthetics and comfort matter to a lot of players.

20. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

Some of the best songwriting of '80s metal right here.

21. TheGreatSouthernBrainfart

TheGreatSouthernBrainfart Forum Resident

Jess and the Ancient Ones. A good ol' tele for psych rock. LOVE that sound.

22. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

One of my favorite tracks from this minor masterpiece.

dmiller458, Zoot Marimba and slipkid like this.
  23. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Love this band, great pipes on this lady!

GodShifter and Cheevyjames like this.
  24. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

Funny you should say that about the production, Trillmeister, because I just acquired the original German vinyl pressing and am so blown away by the amazing sound quality that I came here looking for a thread about that. Found this thread instead. I don't know if it's an analogue or digital recording, but who cares, the sound is marvellous, great dynamic range too.

So great to hear this stuff after all these years. I haven't had this album in any format since I had it on tape in the 80s.

25. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Yeah, they're incredible. Caught them playing with King Diamond back in 2014 and they really won me over. I own everything by them now.

lenny nero likes this.