Gotham-Batman Prequel Series on Fox, Fall 2014

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm really enjoying this season, and last night's episode was one of the best. I continue to be amazed at what the writers come up with (and how much of it is allowed on TV!). The only negative I have is the return of Ra’s Al Ghul. IMO the character almost ruined Green Arrow and I'm worried he'll do the same here.

2. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I am not a Comic Book Guy(although love the Kevin Smith Show on his Comic Book Store), and do not seem many movies based on Comic Book(errrr Graphic Novels to the Comic Book Geeks), but loved the Christopher Nolan Dark Knight Trilogy.

However, Gotham has become my current favorite Drama on TV.
    Ashame that Jerome(Joker) was killed off, as the actor, who played him was awesome(if not a little over the top). The Dude who hypnotized people was one of my favorite villains on the show.

The writing has gotten even better, so glad that I stuck with this show. I loved the Scenes in the Asylum when Oswald & Jerome were locked up before breaking out. The Ed Nygma guy kind of is annoying-IMO, but well acted. Actually, starting tire of Oswald, as it seems to be watching the same thing with him every episode and scene he is in on this show.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    marmalade166 likes this.
  3. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Noticed that elements of ‘The Killing Joke’ were incorporated into last nights episode.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

It's amazing how they are developing the mythos of the Joker and to my knowledge have never once called one of the characters "The Joker."

5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Just watched the latest Gotham. WHOA! I haven't watched much of the comicbook tv stuff. Never got into Smallville, Arrow, Flash, Shield...but of what I HAVE seen, Gotham's become the best, by far! Gotta say, I prefer crazy Joker #1 to genius Joker #2. Although the episode ends with a shocker, it's immediately dissipated by what I'll call the 'Infinity War Syndrome', nothing can kill a main character, ever. Thank goodness!;)

Paper Wizard, marmalade166 and Shawn like this.
  6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I agree. . . Gotham I feel is the best of the DC shows and it is imaginative and wild. Legion is the best of the Marvel shows for the same reasons. Man it's great that they are both on.

Paper Wizard and marmalade166 like this.
  7. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

I lost track of this somewhere in early 2015. The reviews are making me want to pick it up again.

8. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Cameron Monaghan revealed the other day they aren't allowed to use the Joker name (or the green hair).

Why The Joker Name Can't Be Used On ‘Gotham’ Revealed

Also, on a somewhat good note but also a sad note, they just got renewed for a Season 5 but it will be the final season.

9. Dang it, I wonder why it will be the final season?

10. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

That's double great news. Five seasons is ideal. They can focus on completing character arcs and giving us a satisfying conclusion to this "prologue". This season has been a lot of fun but the significant letdown has been the treatment of Poison Ivy. Three swings, three strikes. The latest version comes off as a POed model with no convincing connection to nature. Please give up.

Update: The 5th season will be 13 episodes.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Bummer that it's ending as it's only gotten better each season. With the story being what it is, it's obvious the show couldn't go on indefinitely, the Batman mythos may be 80+ yrs old, but this kid has aged quickly. One thing's for sure, in the yrs to come I'll be keeping an eye on David Mazouz out of curiosity, I wanna see if he ever grows enough to convince me he could EVER be the Bat!;)

BTW, totally agree about Ivy. The 2nd biggest mistake the series made was their (mis)handling of this character. The 1st was hiring such an uncharismatic, unskilled actor for the key role in the series! The series succeeded in SPITE of him!

kevywevy likes this.
  12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Might Netflix or Hulu pick it up?!

Paper Wizard likes this.
  13. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Enjoying watching on Netflix - Gotham season 4 which has only recently arrived here in the UK. I think this is one of the most enjoyable TV series i've watched in recent years. It's pure entertainment, very OTT and campy, it's more in the vein of the Tim Burton films.

Lonson likes this.
  14. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

It's very influenced by Burton for sure, but it has bits of the Nolan films and even the 60s TV show thrown in there as well.

I love this show and will miss it, but it at least won't go on several seasons too long like SMALLVILLE did. I just hope they craft a satisfying conclusion.

15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I read there's a show about Alfred (!?) in the works. Don't know if it's gonna be the same Alfred from Gotham or if they're starting all over....again. Batwoman's gonna be over at Arrow. How long they gonna keep doubling down on the bat-verse without actually showing Batman!?

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Honestly, I'd like to see them simply wrap up the "prequel" and be done with it.

I like "Gotham" a lot. I've not participated in the thread because I only watch it on Blu-ray, so I avoid this discussion to stay away from spoilers. You guys see the series as it airs - I binge watch in the summer! :D

As much as I like it, though, it was always a series with a natural expiration date. Unless you decide to make it a straight-out Batman series at some point, it has to end, so let's wrap it up with S5 and let that be that!

17. TheSeldomSeenKid

Yeah, as now that they killed off Jerome last season, it ruined all the whacky fun coming from that character as the Joker. The storyline with Jerome's Brother is fine, but the scenes with Jerome were much more compelling-IMO.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I never trust superhero deaths! :D

Jerome's been dead once already - it's very liberating! ;)

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  19. TheSeldomSeenKid

Maybe he should head on over to Set of The Walking Dead.
    I thought the same thing when Gus Fring had half of his Face blown off at the end of Season 4 of Breaking Bad, as he looked like a Walker(or half of a Walker).

20. Giant Hogweed

Have you seen the theory that Breaking Bad is a prequel to The Walking Dead? Google it, it's very interesting!

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  21. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Final season kicked off last night!
    I am really going to miss this show... but I can't wait to see where Donal Logue winds up next.
    I guess they are gonna go out with a bang... this show is so bats**t crazy... I love it.
    I really hope they give us at least one scene looking into the future with Gordon and his iconic mustache.

22. Giant Hogweed

Looking forward to the last series, shame they can't just rename it 'Batman' and have that picking up where this leaves off with the same actors and characters. I always thought Batman would be better as a TV show than trying to cram everything into films all the time.

23. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Did anyone else find the season 5 premiere...underwhelming? Since they showed us Day 300-and-whatever at the very beginning of the episode and the episode takes place on day 80-whatever, does that mean we're just going to experience the transition over these 13 final episodes? I sure hope it's a lot more than that.

Of course, there's still
    WITCH!
    whatever that is.

24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The moment I've been dreading since the show's beginning was hinted at in last night's episode. Batman was shown in silhouette briefly. I can only hope that the producers don't make the fatal mistake of putting this skinny, non-threatening-in-ANY-way kid into a Bat-suit! BTW, can there be any doubt who the breakout star of this series will be? Robin Lord Taylor has been killin' it from the start as tbe Penguin!

kevywevy and jriems like this.
  25. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

To be fair, Michael Keaton wasn't that threatening until he was wearing 40 pounds of rubber. Although I agree at this juncture this kid wouldn't be believable, especially his voice. If the show lasted two or three more years maybe he'd mature just enough but he still looks too young.

The rumor that's been going around is that a portion of the last episode takes place 10 years into the future. I'd bet my money on a recast for Bruce...but we will likely only see him briefly in a batsuit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.