Wilson Audio Debuts the TuneTot

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Why spend 10k on these when you can get a pair of second hand Duettes (v1) for 6k?

If they had offered a full range 2.1 system with stands and subwoofer for 10k, that’d be another story.

I’m sure these sound pretty good, but for 10k, they ought to. But are they six times
    as good or even twice as good, as the LS50?

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

The small Evolution Audio also.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yes, Wilson was Always expensive and I expect that was their marketing gimmick.: Build the worlds most expensive speakers and people will know your name. They wouldnt be the first to use this gimmick. Ahem. Doesn’t mean they sound any better than something that would cost three grand to build, however.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Hmm, I can't think of any $3K speakers that sound better than Wilsons...They certainly have their competitors with the better brands such as Magico, YG, etc. but I don't think you can say any $3K speaker will top them.

5. LeeS

The Duettes are a different application. They are designed to be stand-mounted whereas the TuneTots are designed to have a surface boundary like a desk below or fireplace mantle with a wall behind. Two different use cases.

6. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

so youve compared every 3k speakers in the same room as the Wilson to be able to claim such a bold statement?

I really like Wilson big speakers and if I had the money, id get watt puppy 8 and be done with it btw

7. LeeS

I cannot claim to have heard every one but I've heard most of them. Watt/Puppy 8s are good but about two years ago I feel Wilson's new drivers, based mostly on the WAMM Chronosonic, really stepped up the game. In my humble opinion, Wilson went from a very analytical, sometimes bright, profile to a more musical profile.

8. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

I know a user seem to praise highly the 40.1 over the watt puppy 8, you might be right.
    Harbeth 40.1 Versus Wilson Audio Watt Puppy 8 • LS3/5a le forum

ok, back to the overpriced, designed to be placed on the desktop and therefore heard in combination with the very early reflection coming off the desk, just cannot sound good. they should have included a wilson designed desktop to go with with the tunetot :)

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Better brand. I don‘t think so! But I agree Magico and YG make fantastic speakers in the higher price range. I‘ve heard their top models, incl. Magico‘s horn speakers. I’ve heard better speakers!

LeeS likes this.
  10. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

"...so youve compared every 3k speakers in the same room as the Wilson to be able to claim such a bold statement?"

I think the answer is obvious....NO.

11. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

I heard these on Thursday night at Lyric. They sounded great for their size. Much like the current generation of larger Wilson speakers, but of course with bass that only goes down to 65hz or so (-2db) -- which is pretty good for a small desktop speaker. They also do a great job of imaging and disappearing.

Yes, they're expensive but the build quality is excellent. An interesting alternative for audiophiles with space or spouse constraints on the size of the speakers that they can use.

Steve0 and LeeS like this.
  12. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. It is somewhat amusing to me that almost nobody balked at the price of the Sabrinas, yet the one-third cheaper TuneTots are getting tons of grief.

JNTEX and LeeS like this.
  14. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Ummm.. the Sabrina is a full-range speaker, not a desktop trophy??

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Um yeh.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Metralla

Agreed.

17. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Why? I don't assume that studio monitor gear is what I want to listen to at home. A lot of studio oriented gear sounds too analytical and hard and has sound qualities that make the gear very useful for studio work and editing work. That's not the style of sound I want to listen to at home for music listening enjoyment. That's why many audiophiles end up buying expensive audiophile gear instead of studio gear. Even for desktop use.

If the Wilson TuneTots do the audiophile sound thing with the sound style and presentation that Wilson fans want then there will be a market for the speakers and wealthy people will buy them instead of less expensive studio monitors.

18. Well, why don’t you think that the Sabrina is a floorstanding trophy, or that the TuneTot, given the frequency trade offs vis a vis the Sabrina, is fairly priced? I just don’t get it.

19. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

There seems to be a lot of pages of anger for this speaker. It's fun to read while listing to Lark's Tongue...all the ups and downs.

I would give these speakers a curious listen. Don't really have a need for them. I do see where there could be a market, not really as a desktop model though.

I own a pair of gently used alexias. I have heard most of the range (not the WAMM) and was considering a new pair of Sashas when the alexias came available.

And no, I am not an old rich guy with a ferrari. I drive a 90s american truck (original owner).

20. Metralla

Nice. Then the Tony TuneToys are not for you.

JNTEX likes this.
  21. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

The point is it's more of a desktop status symbol than a reasonable audiophile investment. IMHO.
    Maybe, just maybe, if it was Wilson's version of the KEF LS50Ws, that would be one thing. Anyway, I just think it's a silly item. Considering you probably need the $2k bases to reach their "potential," it's a $12k desktop speaker requiring source and amplification. $12k can buy one a really nice living room system. My new system is barely over $5k, and far less than 1% of humanity gets to enjoy their music on such a nice little system. I guess that's why it seem silly to me. Okay, I'm shutting up now.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  22. Ham Sandwich

Perhaps JNTEX could wait several years for a gently used pair of TuneTots, if the price is right. The used market can make some of these audio toys more accessible.

23. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

I’m usually a defender of this high priced stuff, but this one I just don’t get. If they were powered I’d get it. If they were adaptable to free standing stand use I’d also get it. So make them powered monitors or make them the best HiFi mini monitors ever but as is, just no. But hey I guess we’ll see if they sell!

Metralla likes this.
  24. Ham Sandwich

I suspect that a big factor in the negativity towards the TuneTot is that it is regarded as a personal audio desktop speaker. Personal audio includes computer/desktop audio, headphone audio, and portable audio. All of those sectors involve some form of sonic compromise compared to full range speakers in an audiophile approved room and setup. Some people just cannot accept that anyone would spend thousands of dollars on a personal audio setup that is just fundamentally and inherently compromised from the beginning. Their view is that any money spent beyond a bare minimum on personal audio is a waste.

I don't view personal audio like that. I listen primarily to headphones. I'm well aware that headphone listening is a compromise compared to speakers. Good speakers in a good room have impact and soundstage size and depth that just cannot be achieved on headphones. But headphones have some advantages in that I can get some sonic qualities that would be very expensive and difficult to achieve in a speaker setup. And the big advantage is that headphones won't annoy the neighbors or anyone else nearby even if I want to listen to Shostakovitch at 95 dB peaks at 2 am. That's worth it to me. Big time.

I have a similar view for anyone who chooses to do high quality desktop audio. If you're stuck in an office or small room for most of the day and are able to crank the tunes in that environment then have at it and maximize that experience to the best of your ability within your budget. If your budget allows TuneTot speakers and a suitable amp and a suitable DAC and the TuneTots have the sound style you're after and you can afford to splurge on a setup like that then do it. Yeah, it would be expensive for a desktop or literal bookshelf setup. But worth it if it maximizes sonic qualities you strive for and can afford it.

I consider $10,000 for mini monitor 2-way desktop speakers to be similar to $6,000 headphones. On one hand, $6,000 for a headphone is crazy. On the other hand, they sound good (I've heard them) and people are buying them. Some people in the forum here own them. Being a headphone fan and liking the sound of good headphone gear I've had to wrap my head and thinking around headphones that now cost $3,000 or $4,000 or $5,000, and now $6,000. I suspect soon there will be a headphone that costs even more. It's crazy. But if you like headphone listening and are after the ultimate in certain styles of headphone sound those expensive headphones are actually worth it. Yikes! Those expensive headphones have certain sound qualities that less expensive headphones cannot do and do not have. A HiFiMan Susvara is $3,000 per driver. A tricked out TuneTot is also about $3,000 per driver. In that sense the TuneTot and HiFiMan Susvara are similar in price.

LeeS and Billy Budapest like this.
  25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I don't get the status symbol statement. I think most people will be using these speakers in the privacy of their homes. Most people that come to my house don't even know I have a stereo. The people that do know, don't care and have no idea what a Wilson speaker is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.