"Free" cd with concert ticket purchase

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wdiv, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

So, if we're gonna see artists live, we certainly shouldn't buy their latest album then. But then again we already knew that, because a deluxe version would be just around the corner. The industry is so very successful to discourage album sales.

JasonA likes this.
  2. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I received the new Jack White CD when buying the show tickets. Actually I received 2 for 2 tickets.
    My cousins got taken by a fake ticket web site (reseller). I think their tickets will be OK but they didn't get any CD's. I gave them my extra.

I'll have to ask my BIL if he received Cds (download) for the Metallica tickets.

3. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

john prine, too. my coworker is going to see byrne with his wife and gave me his extra cd. i'm going to see prine with my wife and gave him my extra cd!

4. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I think with every concert ticket, we should get a free CD... of that night's performance! I won't hold my breath.

In every case I've dealt with, the concert tickets with the free CD were announced before the album was onsale.

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I think I'm getting a "free" Jack Whie cd with my $20 Live Nation ticket summer promotion.

With only a few used music stores left, my locals have 20 sealed cd copies of the new Katy Perry and Shania Twain albums nobody wants.

JasonA likes this.
  6. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

LOL. Metallica's latest returned to #1 for a week after they put the last leg of their US tour on sale. I've had four copies of it now. Jack White did the same thing a couple months ago. You either got a CD for every ticket purchase or, in my case, a CD and a partial credit for a vinyl LP of his new one.

7. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

I've gotten them for:

Metallica - Hardwired to Self Destruct
    David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock
    LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
    U2 - Songs of Experience

8. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Got it for
    Neil Young - Americana (3 copies)
    U2 - Songs of Experience

Getting it (not yet) for the new Courtney Barnett album.

I didn't get the free CD option with David Byrne.

9. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Last fall, Kenny Chesney mailed out a 2 CD album to everyone who bought a ticket for his 2018 tour. It is a live album of performances from his 2016 tour. In the country music fan world, it was written about as a nice gift from their beloved artist.

10. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Don't see why anyone would complain about this practice. First personal experience with this was Mark Knopfler offering a copy of Get Lucky. Then, as already mentioned, Coldplay with live from Viva la Vida tour. Even if there's something going on with management, and you obviously pay for it in ticket costs, it's still a nice gesture.

11. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I'm amazed that this con is allowed to continue....

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

It does help with their charting.

13. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I like it. I got the new LCD Soundsystem and the new Jack White after purchasing those tickets.

14. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

That's my point - it's cheating essentially....

I may want to see [insert legendary band] but I don't want to contribute to their chart placing outside of my choice with a mediocre album I had no intention of buying...

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  15. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I got 2 U2 Songs of Experience CDs after buying 2 tix for the upcoming show in Chicago. I happened to call to get my seats upgraded, and then got yet another 2 CDs. So now I have 4 copies of SoE. Yikes!

16. eifion

eifion Forum Resident

The Durutti Column gave away a CD called "Chronicle" to everyone who attended their concert at Bridgewater Hall, Manchester on 30 April 2011. The album was substantially changed before it went on general release, so it was a nice rarity for those of us who where lucky enough to be there.

JasonA and hhjack like this.
  17. SoundAdvice

it floods the used market with copies of so-so later albums that have little demand. u2 2017/Jack White 2018/Shania 2017/Katy Perry 2017/John Mayer 2017/Halsey 2017.

Someone with a box suite at the arena brought it 20 sealed copies of each album to my local. They aren't moving.

18. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Just to add to the list, Tom Petty did this for Mojo. Also, Mudcrutch did this for Mudcrutch 2.

And you're right - the market is flooded with them. I got four U2 CDs for their current tour but I bought the Deluxe CD anyhow - so I have 4 of the standard CD's just sealed and taking up space. I haven't bothered to sell them because selling anything under $10 is a waste of my time since I'm not a full time seller. I supposed I could always trade them in and get 50¢ each from my Record Store.

19. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Trading them in is the best option for these discs or donate them to thrift stores.

Tedw9 and bmh5879 like this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I have 12 copies! :help:

21. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

This underlines, more than anything else these days, that albums have become 'loss leaders' for tours.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

And Madonna did it for "MDNA"!

23. SoundAdvice

It's only mid/late career arena artists who don't want to be told their album only stalled after selling 200,000 copies. It's more about ego buffering.

24. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Newsboys gave away their Live album with last year's concert tickets.

25. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

"This next song, is something off our latest release. Did everyone get the FLAC neural implant at the door?!" :targettiphat:

JasonA and bmh5879 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.