"Free" cd with concert ticket purchase

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wdiv, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Drop them of at a thrift store. The used CD store won't take that many copies.

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

In 2012, the 5 surviving Beach Boys did a new album/tour with a neat gimmick.

At the merch table they offered a package of 10 sealed copies for $100 and one of them was signed by all 5. They were counting all of them in the billboard chart for every week of the US tour.

melstapler likes this.
  3. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

My only complaint, in the cases of U2 and David Gilmour, is that getting the album with the ticket purchase discouraged me from buying the deluxe copy I'd have bought otherwise. Granted, nothing was stopping me from buying a deluxe copy anyway, but it's harder to justify paying for the handful of bonus tracks than it is if you want the whole deluxe set. In both cases, I'd have gladly paid a few bucks extra to receive the deluxe version rather than the basic version.

In U2's case, I did find those other tracks via....other means.

4. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I wish they would offer the show you just saw. Seems like a good way to go about this kind of thing. I can think of many shows i would have paid a lot for after seeing the show.

melstapler likes this.
  5. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Phish does this, i think. It's a cool idea. I would kill to have some shows I saw.

6. Johnny Feathers

Peter Gabriel and Depeche Mode both offered this a few years ago, which I did buy. Genesis on their last tour, too.

Greenalishi likes this.
  7. Greenalishi

I Love this idea. I wish Prince did this. He was always battling the boots. The Dead gave up and let 'em tape it. And it created the symbyotic cult that the Dead and their fans have to this day.

I'd give anything for a decent sounding show from Princes 3rd eye girl shows. I have a poor sounding boot for 2014? in England such a cool sound to that band. Very broken down rock n roll simplicity. No bs. Probably never gonna happen. Most people only wanna hear that 80s Purple Rain era. This to me was the evolution of his stuff at it's perfectness. He was listening to White Stripes simple stuff i think and it works to me.

JasonA likes this.
  8. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Also consider these arena shows - up to 20,000 fans - how many actually "collect" or still listen to physical media? Most of these probably end up in someone's junk drawer anyhow I think 90% of the fans aren't even interested in their new material and just want greatest hits. And if they do care to listen, they'll check it out on some streaming service instead. Just my observation at shows and I am sure a lot would agree.

9. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Holy Joe!

10. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

My local record store has a promotion deal with a local concert club where frequently you can buy the artist's new CD and get a free ticket to their concert. Back to the thread, Tom Petty did this for his last tour for Hypnotic Eye but it was a free MP3 download I got with the concert ticket, not a CD. I think that still counted for his sales though.

11. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Too bad Paul Rodgers' new Free CD wasn't "Free" to people buying tickets to his tour with Jeff Beck.

Roland Stone and Greenalishi like this.
  12. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I think Prince also did it for his 21 Nights around 2007 at London's 02, with his (very good) 3121 album. All ticket prices were £31.21, a massive bargain. Saw the show 3 nights - first, last and one in middle.

Greenalishi likes this.
  13. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I went to his Shepherds Bush gig which he announced on the day. My pal queues for me for six hours to get in. Prince did 3.5 hours. Was amazing.

Greenalishi likes this.
  14. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Mook and Greenalishi like this.
  15. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

I queued for seven hours for that gig, so nyer.

Seriously though - what a privilege to have been there.

A fairly muffled audience recording of the show exists, but you probably already knew that.

Apparently at one stage Prince recorded every show of his. Don't know if he did it for that tour. Some professional footage did appear on his official YouTube. So let's hope a proper recording is in that there vault. I would pay my last money to hear it again.

Greenalishi and raphph like this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Holy Bono! ;)

deadbirdie likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hmm... I went to 2 of those shows and don't recall a free CD. I know I got free CDs for the "Musicology" shows but I don't remember any from the 2007 O2 shows.

I might misremember, though - I'm much older now than I was then! :D

18. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

no cameras and militant security - all I had was my lousy iphone
    [​IMG]

19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I don't have a problem with this. These are mostly legacy acts, where most people going will have (or at least have heard) their hits from decades ago, but will have little interest in getting their latest album. And since the tours are in theory to promote the album, at least this way some people will hear it before the show. I realize many people posting here are the exception and do buy the albums, but that's a small percentage of the audience. Plus with as much as tickets cost nowadays, you should get something added.

I agree though that it dishonestly manipulates the charts.

Greenalishi likes this.
  20. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

21. Greenalishi

Wow, so cool. I wish many acts would follow this kind act of Genn Tilbrook. Awesome!

22. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

And of course Counting Crows and others sell downloads and cds of their current tour online...great way for fans to have a souvenir from their favorite bands...

Greenalishi likes this.
  23. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. The Stray Cats did this back in the mid-2000s, releasing the numerous concert dates from their European tour. It was an incredibly ambitious project, because each show was professionally recorded and mixed with proper sound quality. Not to mention, each disc was released as a silver pressed replicated CD, no crappy CD-R ripoffs.
    [​IMG]

24. Johnny Feathers

I think a download version of the albums have also been offered in some cases. But if either version is free, I guess I'd rather see the physical cover/booklet, rip the CD, and eventually get rid of the discs, though that's not the most environmentally-friendly way to go.

Greenalishi likes this.
  25. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

The whole concept is clever, because concertgoers (who may either be new fans or old fans who have have some or most of the artist's previous work) get to take home a copy of the new release as a souvenir. Paul Collins (from The Nerves/The Beat/The Breakaways) did this to promote one of his more recent solo albums and I believe it was 1 copy of the CD per ticket purchased. Another major advantage to this practice is that record labels and artists can deduct the cost of promotional giveaways in their advertising expenses since they're providing promotional gifts. Definitely a win-win strategy for the artists, labels and fans involved.

bmh5879 and Greenalishi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.