High End Munich 2018

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Satrus, May 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have posted some 'articles' and photographs covering some of the equipment on display at this year's High End Show in Munich, Germany. For anybody who is interested, the details can be accessed on my Facebook page @vinyllpcare or directly via my website www.vinyllpcare.com by clicking on the Facebook 'f' icon. The details are not on the website, on Facebook only. I will be adding some further details over the coming days.

I very nearly had to cancel my annual trip to Munich due to a bad bout of sciatica caused by lifting overly heavy boxes of legal files, following my recent retirement from that profession. I must say that the TV lawyer shows never let you see the enormous files (in terms of size) that lawyers have to deal with in the course of their work. Nothing glamorous about that, is there?

Actually, I managed to get some of my articles uploaded even before the great and wonderful Michael Fremer who I spotted in Germany on Friday last. Maybe my hotel had higher upload speeds or Michael was involved in his very detailed articles which give so much joy to all of us. Long may he prosper! Wow, it is hard work for us elderly guys, I will say no more. My sciatica which gave me awful pain in my right leg really 'spoiled' my trip to the show this year. A 'sane' person probably would have cancelled but as audiophile types, can I ask you if any one of us is sane??? If you like any of the bits I have posted, I would be delighted if you would 'Like' them, if they meet with your approval. Hope this is of interest. :D

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

And that is sad. You have a web site - so put the images and the commentary up there. I despise reading Facebook where the images are tiny and I am surrounded by stupid "Like" buttons. Get them on your web site.

anorak2, jfine and Kaelu like this.
  3. td19

td19 Forum Resident

Well I looked at the FB page ... very interesting. Thank you for taking the trouble to put up the images and write-ups.

Satrus likes this.
  4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Sorry, I boycott Facebook.

But I’ve been in Munich. Crowdy place and I have visited only a few booths and demos.

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

6. Metralla

Thank you. I am almost a Facebook boycott person but I wanted to see what Satrus had posted. Tiny little pictures.

7. Metralla

I have seen a few photos of the amp on the pedestal but they were close up, so you could not gauge the size. Now that I see that photo - wow, one big mutha!

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

That D’Agostino amp looks huge. I'm assuming it will require dedicated 20 amp lines just to power it up.

9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

@Satrus - I did take a look at your FB page. You did a lot of leg work at Munich. (Sorry, the law is a harsh mistress). Trade shows are a good way to see people you know or communicate with, but seldom see in person. There are so many people once you've been hanging around 40 years or so.
    That Nina Simone album is a classic. Your website looks fab.
    I've threatened to make the trip to that show many times but also know that I have so little patience for crowded trade shows-- I'd schlepp all the way there, walk through in a few hours (touristo tour of the Louvre style) and split. Glad you went despite the pain-- which, though awful, is still probably a fair price for giving up lawyering. Thanks for posting this. (And hope you heal--I pretty much eliminated my back issues through weight loss and exercise, but that may not be your situation).
    best,
    Oh, yeah, I'll go back and "like" them for you. FB-- no comment.

Satrus likes this.
  10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

VAC's Kevin Hayes is there.

11. Metralla

I don't think you would. It's such a big space; sure, some rooms do seem crowded but the central atrium is open and the light floods in from all directions. And it seems like you can always get into a more intimate setting.

The coffee is great, lunch is wonderful and you can go outside or into the front split level foyer and there is live music playing. And when you feel like you have done your dash with the big spenders upstairs, you can go downstairs to the Halles and hang out those that have come on a smaller budget to present their quirky stuff to the world.

Trust me - in the words of Eric Burdon: "it will be worth it".

Bill Hart likes this.
  12. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

I've always enjoyed my trips to Munich - a fantastic city!

In fact two of the stories in my book (referenced below), The Sea of Tits and Bavarian Beer Tour, are set in Munich and environs.

I'd love to get back there some day.

Jeff

13. Satrus

True. I am taking a course on website management (for want of a better expression) shortly. The information should be going to the website first and foremost and then to the Facebook page. It would be so much better to have all this stuff on the website. I was so busy with work, up to the end of last year and into the new year, that I hadn't time to do important stuff like that. Hopefully, I will get to do that now as it is what I intend to do in the future.

14. Satrus

Hi Bill, the best day to go is on the Trade Day. Luckily I am now in a position to do that. If you know somebody in the trade, they will sometimes offer to include you amongst their guests. A U.K. dealer with whom I deal, offered this to me last week but I get to go anyway on the Trade day. It is so much freer, less congested and you actually get time to speak to people. Once the public arrives on the the 2nd, 3rd and 4th days, it's time to get out of there! It was very crowded on Friday (the first of the public days) and difficult to get around .. particularly with my current health 'issues'. All of the demo rooms were pretty much packed on Friday. They were far more accessible and comfortable on Thursday (the Trade day). In my 'state', I was unable to stand up for very long and had to get a seat. It is great to meet up with contacts and people you've met before as well as new people. My doctor gave me the 'all clear' to travel but in my heart I probably knew that I should have cancelled. Trouble is, I probably aggravated what I already had by walking around. My visits to the city's record stores was severely limited. I just made it to two, which are close to my hotel. What's bugging me now is that I am unable to get out on my bike although strangely I can cycle but when I try to walk I get a lot of pain. Thank you for the 'likes' on FB, by the way. :D

Bill Hart likes this.
  15. Satrus

'Tiny little pictures'? What are you viewing them on? They are fine on my Desktop Hires Monitor when I click on a particular image. I could understand maybe if you are viewing them on an iPhone or iPad or similar. It amuses me when I see people, everywhere, surfing the internet on their iPhones! You can't see very much and there is loads of stuff cut off, missing or located elsewhere. iPads are okay though, but iPhones ... sheeesh. :sigh:

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

17. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

18. macster

macster Forum Resident

Take care and don't fret. It's not that easy to post items (e.g images) to your website. There is a "process involved", along with the editing of the images, page layout etc. etc and blah, blah. If it was that easy, everyone could do it. Take your time, keep posting to Facebook until you are ready to post the content to your website. I don't do Facebook but a lot of people do. So IMHO, just do whatever is convenient for you.

M~

Satrus likes this.
  19. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Pioneer's new PD-70AE CD/SACD player (on the right)....

[​IMG]

20. Metralla

I am at home - typical big screen like we all use.

Like you, I hate the using my phone.

Perhaps it is because I don't have a Facebook account that my view is limited. When I click on a photo it fills about 1/4 of the screen. On left is a grey box. On the right of the picture is a white box with stupid admonition "Like this page yesterday" and to the right is another grey box. What should be a nice full screen photo of the Invictus is just a small happy snap.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  21. Metralla

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  22. SoundRebels

SoundRebels Forum Resident

23. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Anyone know what make the stand they are using is?

24. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

It sounds like you need an epidural shot for the pain.

25. Metralla

Thanks, SoundRebel. Excellent pictures, nice presentation, easy to flip through, no distractions

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.