SPIRIT - It Shall Be : The Ode & Epic Recordings 1968-1972

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by moops, Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

Cherry Red mentions the 1968 stereo mix of The Family That Plays specifically, but that's it, so I would imagine it's the remix. Discogs has nothing for an entry of this box so far...

2. Mixfo

Mixfo Forum Resident

Regarding the distortion on 'Ice', I compared the versions on the 1996 disc, Time Circle and the new box set. The distortion on the guitar break from the box set is identical to the 1996 version. The waveforms are almost identical at this point, and certainly they sound the same.

I found something interesting on the Time Circle version: they used only the left channel and copied it to the right channel, in other words the track is left channel mono at this point. If you compare this with just the left channel of the other versions they are identical. There is much less distortion in the guitar break in this channel, so it sounds a bit better. However, the volume is also considerably lower and they didn't even bother to increase the amplitude to match the rest of the disc.

I have no other versions to compare against these, but it appears that the distortion is on the original recording and is likely here to stay. If the SACD is ever released it would be interesting to verify this.

shadlet likes this.
  3. Mixfo

Mixfo Forum Resident

Actually, scrap the statement about the Time Circle version of 'Ice'. It seems the drive on my PC only copied over the left channel to my hard drive for some reason.

The comments regarding the other two discs remain the same, however.

4. Mixfo

Mixfo Forum Resident

Final update: The version of 'Ice' on Time Circle has the same distortion as the other two discs I tried. Sorry for any confusion. Regardless, I do recommend the box set - the overall sound quality is very good.

5. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

I have all my 60s vinyl & 12 Dreams orig vinyl

Also have a couple Anesini 90s discs & the EU 5 CD box OAC

I know my LPs can't be improved but is there a vast improvement over the original 5 CD box set

By vast I mean greatly improved SQ

The EU 5 CD box sounds pretty decent to me

Anyone care to comment?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  6. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Just got this and I'm listening to it now. FWIW, I believe they used the remixes for the albums - at least, the version of "Elijah" is the remix, where the drum solo starts out dead-center instead of the awkward jump to the center as heard on the original mix.

aoxomoxoa and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  7. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

Agreed. This is the bottom line for me. I was completely unfamiliar with the Model Shop recordings and, since Clear one of my favorites, this is a really nice sounding set to have.
    I'm really hoping a miracle occurs with Audio Fidelity. At least complete the trilogy.

8. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

FYI, it's also got that little organ/guitar intro to "Mr. Skin" that's heard on the Sony remasters, but it's on the MFSL (I'm not sure if it was on the original album or not).

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It wasn't.

Atmospheric likes this.
  10. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

There ya go. So I'm pretty sure the versions of the albums on this set were basically just ported over from the 1996 remixes/remasters. So really there's nothing super rare on this set, except the mono mix of the first album and Model Shop, which I believe is out of print on CD.

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If they truly did use the original mix of Family That Plays Together, that is also rare (on CD).

12. I believe the 5 disc OAC box contain the 90’s Anesini remasters complete w/bonus tracks.

samthesham likes this.
  13. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Thanks.

With that info I will pass

The OAC box is very good and all the digital Spirit I need.

14. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I’ll be ripping mine as is but will create playlists for each album.

I ended up ordering this once it was 100% confirmed that Audio Fidelity was finished and we would be getting no more Spirit titles from them.

My advice to anybody considering getting this set is to jump on it now if you can. Given the current nature of industry, this could disappear tomorrow.

15. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Upon further review....

Love it. The MONO 1968 is great! Essential. And the stereo mix is great too.

The Family That Plays Together original stereo mix is fantastic. My original vinyl is a bit noisy so this is a great one to have. As I listen to the CD (original stereo mix 1968) it takes me right back to 1968. It has all the same speaker separation and sounds. This one is a keeper!!

Clear is as good as it gets and since we likely will never see Steve's remaster (Audio Fidelity is now defunct?), this one sounds really amazing when compared to the original vinyl also).

Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus is a really amazing remaster and sounds terrific.

The various extras (Model Shop) and Time Circle...haven't gotten to them as yet, but have most of those extras on other Sprit releases including the alternate Elijah which I love. I am sure they will be satisfying also.

All's great with this fine box from Esoteric & Cherry Red Records. The remastering is tastefully done..no brick-walling. True to the originals.

[​IMG]

Chazzbo13, crispi, Galley and 3 others like this.
  16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I hope a vinyl version is in the pipeline.

17. lemonade kid

YES! I need "Family..." on vinyl to replace my worn out original!

18. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I'd just like to mention to my fellow Spirit fans that the June issue of Record Collector (the White Album cover) has a good article about Spirit .
    They aren't a band that I see many articles about these days, so...
    I thought I'd pass it along.

19. jpw67

jpw67 Forum Resident

Question: I just bought this Spirit box set from Amazon and am really enjoying it. As I'm not really familiar with this material I wanted to ask whether the mono of the first album is a dedicated mix or a fold down of the stereo. Anyone know?

20. lemonade kid

From everything I've read, here and elsewhere, the mono 1968 self titled LP is a fold down. BUT...a big but, it is one of the best sounding mono records I have (and I have a ton of dedicated mono mixes on vinyl).
    Mine is an original mono vinyl promo LP, and it sounds so great that I always thought it was a dedicated mix.

This box is well worth it. Was so inspired I searched out and found this to replace my original worn LP that I bought in 1969: a nice NM original stereo vinyl "The Family That Plays Together". Love all first four LPs to death!

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There are a few differences between the mono and stereo so I think the mono is dedicated.

22. lemonade kid

That's what I always thought...but so many here seem to think otherwise--without listens maybe?...maybe just because it is from 1968 when so few were dedicated mono mixes.
    Hearing is believing I guess.

23. jpw67

jpw67 Forum Resident

Thanks guys. I’m a big collector of original mono mixes of 60’s stuff so just wondered about this.

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Technically it was late 1967 I think, and I believe Ode was part of CBS where all mono mixes were dedicated.

The most noticeable difference I found is that there is a high pitched lead guitar in the background of the bridge of "Uncle Jack" that is in the stereo mix, but absent in the mono mix. Also, the mono mix has no silence between "Mechanical World" and "Taurus" while the stereo mix does, and a few songs have different fades.

jpw67, zongo, Rne and 1 other person like this.
  25. lemonade kid

CBS definitely had some great mono mixes (and EPIC/Ode, such as Donovan's "Sunshine Superman"!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.