FX's "Legion"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by vince, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm still holding off watching until the season is done so that I can binge, but skimming through the comments is giving me pause...

2. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

For the record, I'm still hooked on the show & loving it for what it is. Hoping that continues for me.

Personally, I find watching each episode twice helps both in my enjoyment, as well as my comprehension (such that it is or can be). The first time is usually like riding a rollercoaster for the first time, with the rush of adrenaline that accompanies, while the second viewing I am able to see the details in the surrounding scenery that was somehow blurred the first time around. Not sure if binging the entire season would help. *shrug*

Concrete sequentialists definitely should not apply.

Lonson, notesofachord and vince like this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

Uh...excuse me, Faruk!
    We all KNOW Frankie Goes To Hollywood sang, "When two tribes got to war, a point is all that you can score"!

notesofachord likes this.
  4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Individual episodes hold up on their own better this season than they did in season one.

I'm hoping by the end of the season that you still have a sense of all of the mosaic pieces forming a larger picture that makes some kind of sense. In the meantime, almost every S2 episode has a central mystery/story that has a beginning middle and end which works on its own terms, too.

From that standpoint, if you don't like a particular episode, the next one will likely be quite different. Looking at your time as an investment, past performance will not always be a predictor of future success or failure. :)

notesofachord, jpelg and vince like this.
  5. The last episode (last week) with alternate realities did little to advance the story and was tedious IMHO. Yes, it was different but, beyond using bad age make up (and it was really bad), it was a waste of an hour.

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This "alternative reality" gambit seems to be realy popular in the Marvel Television universe.

That studio's so busy right now though, I wonder if the showrunners have the time to pop in and see what other showrunners are doing...perhaps they're unaware how often some of these tropes come out to play en messe....

7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I thought the "alternate realities of David" episode was fascinating and very entertaining. This week's episode, which stuck to advancing the story, didn't do as much for me. Although, giant bugs wrecking havoc is always fun.

Old Mac and marmalade166 like this.
  8. For me, it was like watching a ship sail in a circle. It may be hypnotic but it's going nowhere.

9. notesofachord

Was the transporting green toxic car scene an homage to Repo Man? It seemed like it.

[​IMG]

There was an obvious Clockwork Orange homage in the "alternative futures of David" so it wouldn't surprise me if this was another nugget thrown in there for film buffs.

woody and That80sBaldAsianBadGuy like this.
  10. notesofachord

Down the rabbit hooooooolllleeeee......

Kyhl likes this.
  11. That80sBaldAsianBadGuy

That80sBaldAsianBadGuy Forum Resident

So is David going to go full psychopath next season? Would that also mean we get montages of evil David battling good David in his mind?

notesofachord likes this.
  12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I saved up ten episodes on the DVR before tackling this season and I'm watching now, into the third episode and I'm not going to read the thread til I get much further in.

This show is exquisite. It has it all. It's so beautifully filmed/created in a computer/whatever. It's so well-written, and acted. It's funny and it's not. It's innovation. Loving it.

Kyhl and notesofachord like this.
  13. Lonson

". . . because love is what we have to save if we are gong to save the world." Syd Barrett, Chapter 16.

Kyhl and notesofachord like this.
  14. vince

I have to stop myself wondering, "If these guys are such 'super-mutants', why can't they tell when they're getting duped...",
    and just let the show happen in front of me.

15. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Love the show but I had to pause it and turn up the brightness on my TV during the minotaur sequences. That was super dark on my screen.

woody and vince like this.
  16. vince

Well....
    at least, there'll still be Aubrey, next season.... if there IS a next season.

17. Lonson

Finished the season this morning. What a delight!

18. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

A great final episode, here's hoping for season 3

Lonson likes this.
  19. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

A season three was confirmed a few weeks ago. I'm not power watching through season 2, which is maybe the best way to watch the show versus week to week. I for one love the show -- its weirdness and visual style. My suggestion to a few who have asked about it -- if you're looking for a story that's doled out for you, likely not the right show. If you can take the time to sit back, enjoy the presentation, and let the story unfold and have faith it will come together, it's an interesting experience and unique to the modern TV landscape.

Kyhl, jpelg, marmalade166 and 2 others like this.
  20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I wanted to like this. My son was berating the show Gotham which I like. He said watch this instead, giving me season 1 of Legion. I did and it can’t hold a candle to Gotham – which has wit, intelligence, strong characters, complex plot-lines, audacity and sheer entertainment value. All sadly missing from Legion.

Once you get over the first episodes's love of experimental cinema techniques, Legion is all style and irony. With cardboard characters, flimsy plotting, real pacing issues, inept casting, amateur acting abilities, cliché ridden ideas about plot and character, bad-writing. The main star is incapable of portraying the complexity the character seems to require. His ‘hey I’m an self-knowing omni-potent slightly unhinged being about to do something amazing’ act is risible. Can’t believe the creator of Fargo turned out this flimsy excuse for a super hero show. Take a thin 90 minute plot and stretch it out as long as you can for a visual love-fest gang-bang and you get Legion.

21. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I stopped watching this season with episode 3. It looks like I’ll have to finish it up and decide if I want to watch season 3.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I liked season 1 because I felt that there was more to it than the stylistic flourishes. You could follow the basic plot while being immersed in a kind of dreamland. So, for season 2, I decided I would wait until the season was over and then do a binge watch.

Funny thing happened along the way. I still kept tabs on audience reception/reviews for each ep, reading defensively to avoid plot spoilers, etc. But the more I read, the less enthusiastic I became and by the end, I had no desire to watch S2! It just felt like what mr.datsun said above (though disagree with his critique as applied to S1).

23. Lonson

Well, I don't agree, that's not how it seemed to me, and I loved Season 2. Can't wait for 3!

JimW likes this.
  24. vince

I can certainly see people finding it 'weird-and-arty for weird-and-arty's sake'-style a little 'much'...
    but, for me, anytime someone can 'get away' with doing something a little out-there, I cut 'em some slack...
    Yes, it seems to stretch-out the story a little too much, but, what can you do..
    the guys' got a vision.

JimW likes this.
  25. Lonson

I'm re-watching this on disc (DVD only darn it) and really enjoying it even more. The story flows so much better when you can watch an episode or two a day.

The cinematography on this is excellent, a real aid to the atmosphere and storytelling. This remains one of my favorite shows of the decade and I can't wait for Season 3.

marmalade166 and notesofachord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.