Article - Most Underrated Classic Rock Bands

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rancher, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed Thread Starter

The 20 Most Underrated Classic Rock Bands Of All Time

OK, I know the "underrated" thing has been done a bunch, but this thread specifically relates to this recent Goliath article and the bands it lists. I came across this on Fark.com where it had a good discussion

Some are appropriate on the list, but you just can't put the Rolling Stones on there!

Greenalishi and seed_drill like this.
  2. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

UFO and Thin Lizzy should be top 10, if not top 5. Otherwise pretty decent list, except #20. :)

Rufus rag likes this.
  3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

The Stones underrated? Ridiculous.

4. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Exactly... and Deep Purple too?

5. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Why is Warren Zevon on the list? They might as well have included Sheena Easton. Ridiculous!

Humbuster and Rufus rag like this.
  6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I like how they go on about the classic line up of Deep Purple...Blackmore, Gillan, Paice, and then show a picture of DP MK IV. :laugh:

Shak Cohen, dkmonroe, Zeki and 3 others like this.
  7. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

The vast majority of these bands aren't underrated (and Roxy Music is not "generally forgotten about"--can you imagine how fast a tour of the remaining original lineup would sell out?). They might be unknown to young people today, and if so, why not title it "Cool Bands You Haven't Heard" or something? Write something useful rather than pretend to be an authority you are not.

jay.dee, trumpet sounds and DHamilton like this.
  8. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

UFO and Big Star and, oddly, Roxy Music are the only three that don't have at least one song in rotation on the classic rock station I listen to.

Edit: That said, the article does touch on how so many of these groups have been reduced to one or two tracks.

uzn007 likes this.
  9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I'm going to declare if OK from here on in to write about Grand Funk without mentioning the Simpsons, and BOC without mentioning Saturday Night Live.

10. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

Never heard of number 4.

11. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

"However, once the first wave of the British Invasion died down and The Beatles emerged as the biggest band in the world"

HUH! Those Beatles were the biggest band in the world before the invasion even started. In fact they were the invasion. They were the first to hit the beach.

12. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I certainly never heard of them in the 70's. Not even until a few years ago. I still have never heard a song by them.

13. Usually Big Star is next for Beatlefans who've exhausted the Monkees.

Shaddam IV, Ignatius and KeninDC like this.
  14. Wow, that is a lame list.

jay.dee and Mickey2 like this.
  15. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I'm surprised they aren't number 1. It's kind of a hipster rite of passage to proclaim Big Star most underrated band ever.

You may well have heard them, though, either the original or the Bangles remake of "September Gurls."

Rickchick, seed_drill and Mickey2 like this.
  16. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

I think underrated band list articles are overrated.

17. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Exactly. Good thing Nick Drake wasn't a band.

18. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I think it’s a pretty solid list. It doesn’t go for unknown artists, but I do think it’s fair to call most of the ones included underrated. Most people know their names, and music devotees like us hold them in high regard, but to the general public, most of them are known for one or two songs each, even though the majority of them have a wealth of great songs and albums. Although I agree with what the writer had to say about The Rolling Stones, it’s still pretty ridiculous to call them underrated. Misunderstood maybe, but definitely not underrated.

Johnny Vinyl and Zoot Marimba like this.
  19. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

#3 Blue Oyster Cult.
    One of the USA's greatest rock acts.

SuntoryTime, Oliver and four sticks like this.
  20. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

I'd agree with Grand Funk Railroad, Moody Blues, Little Feat, and maybe Deep Purple as being on a most underrated list. Some of that mentality was set into motion by pompous music critics of the era. Changing personnel, infighting, substance abuse, etc. could have contributed in certain cases. The Rolling Stones being on a "most underrated classic rock" list is laughable. There can be only one #1 with the general public and we all know who that is.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  21. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

When I first saw the Stones at #20 I thought I wasn't going to like this list because, much as I like the Stones, they would make my list of 20 most overrated bands.
    But as I went down the list I saw many I agreed with, most notably The Raspberries, Moody Blues, T Rex, Squeeze, The Animals, Big Star, and the correct #1 choice of The Kinks.

22. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed Thread Starter

yep, that's kinda why I posted it :D

23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

bizarre list ... so what, if you aren't given as much cred as the beatles you're under-rated? i rate most of those bands, and the ones i don't, well it's because they're not for me

24. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Other than the Stones being on there, even with me agreeing with a large part of what was said, those aren’t bad picks. Yes, music nerds hold most of them in high regard, but the public at large reduces them to one or two songs of any.

trumpet sounds and Meyer like this.
  25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, but you definitely heard Alex Chilton's first band, The Box Tops. Plus the theme song of That 70's Show was a remake of Big Star's In The Street.

jwjeffrey and Duke Fame like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.