Is it OK to NOT like classical music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Ballet and ballroom dancing. Not the shake your hips kind.

2. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Shows how much you know about this. There are raucous whirlwinds of rythm to be heard, from the baroque era, for instance. And treasures of sophistication and grace grace abound throughout the ages.
    And there's quite a lot more to rythm than shaking your hips. It's a little depressing to have to say this on a music forum, but there you go.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Dylan's not for everyone either.

4. StarThrower62

Baroque music bores me to tears for the most part. But I do like some of the keyboard and organ works.

5. StarThrower62

Not really a good analogy. Classical encompasses a huge amount of music spanning hundreds of years. It's not one thing.

Zep Fan, Rick Robson and 56GoldTop like this.
  6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Ok, I'll bite.

I love classical music, but I'll say there's something for anyone there. I think it's also a lack of exposure.

Carl Swanson likes this.
  7. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Actually, it kinda is . . . it specifically refers to the period between the Baroque and Romantic eras, about 1750-1830.

Other than that, the term is sorta misused.

8. Carl Swanson

I connected with serious, symphonic, orchestral (whatever you wanna call it) music on an emotional level, without any education or theory involved. I didn't even know how to read music.

Very simply, it fills a need for me that no other form does.

Mowgli, Rick Robson and 56GoldTop like this.
  9. StarThrower62

For most it's a general term encompassing all orchestral and chamber music.

10. Carl Swanson

IMO, it's misused as a general term.

11. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Perfectly okay not to like it... ...although I do.

My dad played "classical" and opera along with everything else. As a young chap, it was just more notes in succession and/or notes stacked on top of other notes; had no reason not to like it nor had I yet been exposed to negative peer pressure. And, so, it was perfectly natural to me to have as much affection for the music of Dvorak as it was for the music of Davis (Miles), Dylan, Dokken and the Dells.

Rick Robson likes this.
  12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

OP is dead to me now.

And you're out of the will.

13. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

What? Don’t like classical music? ???? ....?.
    Off with yer head I say

14. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

No. No it is not.

15. StarThrower62

Okay, you win, But it's used for convenience sake. What are they going call classical radio stations? Late Romantic 91.5

16. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Like calling all sodas "Cokes"?

17. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

I'm not reading the whole thread, so if I'm repeating what someone else said, so be it. But 'classical' as a category is made of many genres and eras and can be interpreted by it's performers in myriad ways.

Just as popular music is made of folk and jazz and blues and rock and rhythm & blues and hip-hop and pop and EDM and techno etc. Each of those genres can be divided into sub-genres like celtic and swing and bebop and fusion and rock'n'roll and prog and metal etc.

Classical has baroque and romantic and impressionism and gallant etc. It can be written for a single instrument like organ, piano or guitar. Or string quartets, chamber orchestras, or symphony orchestras. There are operas. There are works like Rhapsody In Blue that have an orchestra playing jazz influenced compositions. Also many rock bands have done a 'symphonic' album.

There is 'difficult listening' atonal experimental and 'easy listening' 'pop classical'. And as popular has a specific genre called pop, classical has a specific genre called classical.

To answer the threads question of course it's ok to not like classical as opposed to popular, but the question also shows a lack of understanding that classical as a category is many kinds of music not one.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  18. Carl Swanson

The way things are going, they won't have to worry about it much longer.

19. Carl Swanson

Yeah.

20. StarThrower62

We have a good station here in Syracuse, and there's classical radio in Rochester. But in my opinion the programming is too narrow and conservative. I like 20th century music.

21. Carl Swanson

So do I.

StarThrower62 likes this.
  22. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

different types for classical music for different tastes.

personally, symphonies and opera are not my favorite -- but I can understand why they are considered the great works.

23. Be Bop Deluxe

Be Bop Deluxe Forum Resident

I did... I made the rule that says you have to like it...but I came up with a lot of rules that day and that was just one of them... If I recall correctly I made that rule right after "don't wear brown shoes with a blue suit" but before "never let your girlfriend cut your hair"... I threw that classical music rule down just for laughs... I didn't think anyone was even paying attention... But a rule is a rule and so if I made a rule which says that you have to like classical music - guess what? - You have to like classical music...

Glad to be of service... any more questions anyone?

stax o' wax likes this.
  24. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

It's completely up to the individual and their own tastes, and it's also perfectly okay to dislike any music whatsoever, what I just can't figure is the people who like (or claim to like) absolutely every music form on Earth. I personally love much of the Art Music, but I don't care to many of the atonal, experimental and serialistic music of the 20th and 21th centuries that I already heard more than once. Anyway I would never assume myself as a conservative listener just because of that.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  25. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

Yes, it is 'okay' to miss out on the greatest form of artistic expression. If you have the soul and intellect for it though, little else will provide you greatest pleasure.

Be Bop Deluxe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.