Criterion August 2018 Blu-Ray Titles - new extended "Tree Of Life"!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agentalbert, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

Dammit. I was all set to ignore "Tree Of Life" as the existing blu-ray already looks fantastic, but then I see it has 50 minutes of additional footage. I'll have to see it. :sigh: I'm not sure it needs any more footage. It's glorious as it is, but its one of my favorites, so how can I resist more Malick when he hit it out of the park on this one?

Criterion Details August 2018 Blu-ray Titles | High-Def Digest

The Ballad Of Gregorio Cortez (1982)
    Smithereens (1982)
    Heaven Can Wait (1943)
    Memories Of Underdevelopment (1968)
    Tree Of Life (2011)

IronWaffle and mikeyt like this.
  2. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I'm kinda excited about Tree of Life myself, though I hope that along with additional footage they also cut some of the galaxy formation (pipe dream, I know).

3. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez
    Forced to run from the Texas Rangers after a heated misunderstanding leads to the death of a lawman, Mexican American farmer Gregorio Cortez sets off in desperate flight, evading a massive manhunt on horseback for days. Producer-star Edward James Olmos, seeking to shed new light on a historical incident that had been enshrined in a corrido (folk song), enlisted director Robert M. Young, a longtime practitioner of socially engaged realism, to helm this trailblazing independent film, a landmark of Chicano cinema. Shifting its perspective between the pursuers and the pursued, The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez is a thrilling chase film and a nuanced procedural that peels away the layers of prejudice and myth surrounding Cortez, uncovering the true story of an ordinary man persecuted by the law and transfigured by legend.

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
    * New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    * New interview with actor and producer Edward James Olmos
    * New interview with Chon A. Noriega, author of Shot in America: Television, the State, and the Rise of Chicano Cinema
    * Cast-and-crew panel from 2016 including Olmos; director Robert M. Young; producer Moctesuma Esparza; cinematographer Reynaldo Villalobos; and actors Bruce McGill, Tom Bower, Rosana DeSoto, and Pepe Serna
    * PLUS: An essay by film scholar Charles Ramírez Berg
    1982 * 106 minutes * Color * Monaural * In English and Spanish * 1.85:1 aspect ratio

BLU-RAY EDITION
    SRP $39.95
    STREET 8/14/18

DVD EDITION
    SRP $29.95

STREET 8/14/18

Smithereens
    Susan Seidelman established her distinctive vision of 1980s New York with this debut feature, the lo-fi original for her vibrant portraits of women reinventing themselves. After escaping New Jersey, the quintessentially punk Wren (Susan Berman)-a sparkplug in fishnets who lives dangerously downtown-moves to the city with the mission of becoming famous. When not pasting up flyers for herself or hanging at the Peppermint Lounge, she’s getting involved with Paul (Brad Rijn), the nicest guy to ever live in a van next to the highway, and Eric (Richard Hell), an aloof rocker. Shot on 16 mm film that captures the grit and glam of the setting, with an alternately moody and frenetic soundtrack by the Feelies and others,
    Smithereens-the first independent American film to compete for the Palme d’Or-is an unfaded snapshot of a bygone era.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
    * New 2K digital restoration, approved by director Susan Seidelman, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    * Audio commentary from 2004 featuring Seidelman
    * New interviews with Seidelman and actor Susan Berman
    * And You Act Like One Too (1976) and Yours Truly, Andrea G. Stern (1979), two early shorts by Seidelman, with new introductions by the director
    * PLUS: An essay by critic Rebecca Bengal

1982 * 93 minutes * Color * Monaural * 1.66:1 aspect ratio

BLU-RAY EDITION
    SRP $39.95
    STREET 8/21/18

DVD EDITION
    SRP $29.95
    STREET 8/21/18

Heaven Can Wait
    Deceased turn-of-the-century playboy Henry Van Cleve (Don Ameche) presents himself to the outer offices of Hades, where he asks a bemused Satan for permission to enter through the gates of hell. Though the devil doubts that Henry’s sins qualify him for eternal damnation, Henry proceeds to recount a lifetime of wooing and pursuing women, his long, happy marriage to Martha (Gene Tierney) notwithstanding. Ernst Lubitsch’s Heaven Can Wait, nominated for Academy Awards for best picture and director, is an enduring classic that showcases his trademark blend of wit, urbanity, and grace.

BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
    * New 4K digital restoration by Twentieth Century Fox and the Academy Film Archive in collaboration with The Film Foundation, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
    * Conversation from 2005 between film critics Molly Haskell and Andrew Sarris
    * Creativity with Bill Moyers: A Portrait of Samson Raphaelson (1982), a thirty-minute program exploring the screenwriter’s life and career
    * Audio seminar with Raphaelson and film critic Richard Corliss recorded at the Museum of Modern Art in 1977
    * Home recordings of director Ernst Lubitsch playing the piano
    * Trailer
    * PLUS: An essay by film scholar William Paul
    1943 * 112 minutes * Color * Monaural * 1.37:1 aspect ratio

BLU-RAY EDITION
    SRP $39.95
    STREET 8/21/18

Memories of Underdevelopment
    This film by Tomás Gutiérrez Alea is the most widely renowned work in the history of Cuban cinema. After his wife and family flee in the wake of the Bay of Pigs invasion, the bourgeois intellectual Sergio (Sergio Corrieri) passes his days wandering Havana in idle reflection, his amorous entanglements and political ambivalence gradually giving way to a mounting sense of alienation. With this adaptation of an innovative novel by Edmundo Desnoes, Gutiérrez Alea developed a cinematic style as radical as the times he was chronicling, creating a collage of vivid impressions through the use of experimental editing techniques, archival material, and spontaneously shot street scenes. Intimate and densely layered,
    Memories of Underdevelopment provides a biting indictment of its protagonist’s disengagement and an extraordinary glimpse of life in postrevolutionary Cuba.

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
    * New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    * New interviews with film critics B. Ruby Rich and José Antonio Évora
    * New interview with novelist and screenwriter Edmundo Desnoes
    * Titón: From Havana to “Guantanamera,” a 2008 feature-length documentary on director Tomás Gutiérrez Alea’s life and career
    * Segment from a 1989 audio interview with Gutiérrez Alea
    * Segments from 2017 interviews with actor Daisy Granados and editor Nelson Rodríguez from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ Visual History Collection archives
    * Trailer
    * New English subtitle translation
    * PLUS: An essay by author Joshua Jelly-Schapiro

1968 * 98 minutes * Black & white * Monaural * In Spanish with English subtitles * 1.66:1 aspect ratio

BLU-RAY EDITION
    SRP $39.95
    STREET 8/28/18

2-DVD EDITION
    SRP $29.95
    STREET 8/28/18

The Tree of Life
    Four decades into an already legendary career, Terrence Malick realized his most rapturous vision to date, tracing a story of childhood, wonder, and grief to the outer limits of time and space. Reaching back to the dawn of creation, Malick sets a story of boyhood memories on a universal scale, charting the coming of age of an awestruck child (newcomer Hunter McCracken) in Texas in the 1950s, as he learns to navigate the extremes of nature and grace represented by his bitter, often tyrannical father (Brad Pitt) and his ethereal, nurturing mother (Jessica Chastain, in her breakout role). Shot with nimble attention to life’s most fleeting moments by Emmanuel Lubezki, the Palme d’Or-winning The Tree of Life marks the intimately personal, cosmically ambitious culmination of Malick’s singular approach to filmmaking.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
    * New 4K digital restoration, supervised and approved by director Terrence Malick and cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    * New extended version of the film featuring an additional fifty minutes of footage
    * Exploring “The Tree of Life,” a 2011 documentary featuring collaborators and admirers of Malick’s, including filmmakers David Fincher and Christopher Nolan
    * New interviews with actor Jessica Chastain and visual-effects supervisor Dan Glass
    * Interview from 2011 with composer Alexandre Desplat about the film, and a new interview with music critic Alex Ross about Malick’s approach to music
    * Video essay from 2011 by critic Matt Zoller Seitz
    * Trailer
    * More!
    * PLUS: An essay by critic Kent Jones and a 2011 piece on the film by critic Roger Ebert
    * Conversation from 2011 between Lubezki and American Society of Cinematographers president Stephen Lighthill

2011 * 139 minutes * Color * 5.1 surround * 1.85:1 aspect ratio

2-BLU-RAY EDITION
    SRP $49.95
    STREET 8/28/18

3-DVD EDITION
    SRP $39.95
    STREET 8/28/18

IronWaffle likes this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

5. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

I’m kinda excited for The Ballad of Greogorio Cortez.

6. masswriter

7. masswriter

The "extended" footage doesn't really extend anything, as much as it is certain sequences cut from the film shortly before it was locked for release. The natural history sequence will be identical to the released version. There will be more of Desplat's music utilized as well.

Plinko likes this.
  8. masswriter

I once wrote somewhere, I forget at the moment, that I thought the theatrical version of The Tree of Life was somehow incomplete, and that I would probably prefer an extended version of it if and whenever it came to be. That moment is now. The Tree of Life, without giving away any spoilers, because I think all of you should yield these surprises on your own, is more complete in its multiple character trajectories. Mr. O'Brien doesn't just come across as an angry frustrated father and husband, but he is given some depth as to the source of his anger and frustration. Mrs. O'Brien is somehow more humanized and less a simplified portrait of ethereal "grace." Older Jack (Sean Penn) is also given a bit more screen time, which mainly serves to show the full depths of his lost soul demeanor (his conflicts are reminiscent of Rick in Knight of Cups). The most screen time, however, is given to young Jack. His journey is sad and hopeful all at once and we are relieved by story's end that he is left in a good place. There are some great new sequences that Mr. Malick has reinserted into the film. The flow of the film is seamless with what we saw before without taking away from it. The director has also made more copious use of Alexandre Desplat's music which serves as a musical motif in some moments. I implore all of you to avoid anything that spills out these new moments in detail. You will be much better rewarded by watching and listening with fresh eyes and ears. It's almost like a whole new film. I recommend this brand-new Tree of The Tree of Life without reservations.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Sounds fantastic. Yes, I can easily see more scenes of character story slipping in without disturbing the flow of the film. Everything you mention would be a terrific addition.

Cut the "dawn of life" scenes? Sacrilege!

10. masswriter

The creation sequences are intact as they were, nothing has been changed on that end. It's truly an immersive experiential cinematic experience. If you have a home theatre set up with a nice big flatscreen, you're in for a treat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.