Symposium Acoustics Ultra Stealth edition platform for my Audio Note UK Ongaku

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purevinyl

purevinyl Forum Resident

have a friend bringing over some Svelte Plus platforms to try next week . will try them on a few things, including my speakers and go from there...

2. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

For speakers, it is important to place the entire bottom surface of the speaker on the platform (no feet in between) because the platform is designed to transfer as much vibrational energy from the cabinet to the platform where that energy is dissipated as heat (rubbing action of the spongy core material). I got a particularly large shelf for this purpose because my speakers are two feet wide by almost two feet deep. I suppose it works the same way with electronics, although it is probably a bad idea to remove feet and have the platform block ventilation holes.

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

No surface is 100% flat, so this is NOT recommended IMO

4. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

This is what a representative from Symposium recommended, and I, and several friends, have done this with good result (as for tightening up the bass response and making the sound clearer).

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Reopened by request.

6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

So what did you think?

7. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Guys, In late August I placed an order with Symposium Acoustics for an amp stand. I spoke with Peter directly. He said he thought he would have it to me by mid to late September. I just called the number on Symposium's website and is says the number is no longer in service. Anyone know what's going on at Symposium?

8. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Im sorry to hear that. Lets hope that it’s something simple like moving location and they are still setting everything up. I would hate to see Symposium no longer be with us. They have been around a long time and seem to have a lot of happy customers. Hopefully you will get your amp stand.

9. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

its good but that probably weights a ton.

10. Tony Plachy

All is well, I sent Peter an email, he called me, we think the problem was with the phones. He is running behind schedule on orders due to the impact of the pandemic on his suppliers.

ellingtonic and timind like this.
  11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I was going to suggest email...Peter was responsive via email for my transactions. Sadly, delays are due to downsizing the workforce. I had delays on my ASC tube traps because they had to lay off workers.

Are you getting the Ultra platform for the amp and are you getting some rollerblocks too? My amp is on a suspended oak floor. The Ultra platform with roller blocks made a significant difference under the amp.

12. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I’m so glad to hear this. We need all of the quality people of high end HiFi to stick around if at all possible. Even if we’re to choose someone else for a stand (which I haven’t), it’s great to have the foundation of high end HiFi survive!

13. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I agree that damping solutions for HiFi components is a good thing. But I don’t agree that needs to be expensive.

Sonic Design SD feet in combination with something stiff light weight material from IKEA can do wonders for sound quality, Imo.
    SD feets can be bought in different versions to meet the weight of your speakers or electronics.

But you have to try different solutions for what works well in your set-up.

14. Tony Plachy

Jim, My situation is a little different than yours, but as always your advice will be appreciated. I am getting an amp stand based on the Ultra platform. I have this big beast of a solid state power amp that I switched to so that it would drive my S7's the way they need to be driven. The thing weighs 220 lbs. I want to get it off the floor ( I am on a suspended oak floor as well ). I have almost kicked the thing 3 or 4 times and I worry about damaging the case work and my foot since I usually just wear flimsy sandals indoors.

I spoke with Peter about having a solid connection to the Ultra platform top side, but at 220 lbs. you cannot easily flip the amp over to exam its feet. I plan to try to elevate and block one side of the amp up enough to see what the actual feet look like. The thought of putting 220 lbs. on roller blocks scares me.

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

You can put it on roller blocks but you will need four. You will definitely need some help getting it on the stand. This is one reason I am using a JL5 it weighs 80 pounds as opposed to 180 lbs for one of the JL1 monoblocks. I’m getting too old for the heavyweights. By having my amp on the Ultra platform I can slide it on the floor to move it if I need to.

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Don't put rollerblocks under that monster. There is such a thing as too much damping..

robertawillisjr likes this.
  17. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I started with RollerBlock Jr’s under my Tannoy DMT 15’s, then added custom Svelte Plus platforms. Very happy with the results, have since added Svelvte platforms under my two other pairs of speakers.

[​IMG]

Tullman likes this.
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

They worked very well under my amp. I don’t know how reducing vibrations from a suspended wooden floor can be over damping. It’s different in Tony’s case because he’s getting a stand and not just the ultra platform. Peter of Symposium recommended the rollerblocks for the amp but not for the power supplies that sit on ultra platforms that are also on a stand. Peter also recommend rollerblocks under the CD player and preamp and no platform.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  19. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Glad to hear that company is OK, after some future rearranging I'll place an order for platforms under my pre and CD, and a small point pods under my TT motor.
    Still marvel how did it improve my TT sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.