J. J. Abrams HBO Westworld series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. 149 destroyed turntables!

Ouch. :shake:

2. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

149 boiled goldfish. Yum.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the story sometimes gets very convoluted, very convoluted

audiomixer likes this.
  4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

When you've got India World AND Samurai World...
    things are bound to get a little convoluted.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  5. It's supposed to be that way, yes?

I thought I had a pretty good bead on the timelines until Episode 4. I still think I have a fair grip on it, but with Bernard's memory fluxing it blurs the image.

My anchor is 11+ days in the future/present where all of the AI are in the lake. Everything else revolves around that, I believe, because that's where we're going. Something big happened to get us there.

The only thing I really question at the moment is how Ford is speaking through the various hosts from time to time. I know it's a part of the new narrative, but what's the trigger for his personal messages to come through? Being that Ford is not actually alive, it would be presumptuous for Ford to think in advance that this player would be in this spot, in this situation, also to have survived, for his next clue to be broadcast. Or, is it like a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book?

Also, isn't it curious that Ford would have had to know about the ventures to create a "robot" who is more human than host? What's more, doesn't this kick against what Ford saw as Arnold's downfall, that Arnold wanted evolved robotic consciousness?

benjaminhuf likes this.
  6. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I just watched episode 4 and goddamn this series is good!

Plus YAY, Elsie's back! Although I always had a sneaking suspicion she would be, there was something about her character that led me to think she wouldn't be discarded in such a way. Also, I had a feeling that what's her name is William's daughter so that reveal wasn't really a reveal for me

7. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

Yes, Ep4 was solid. I got immersed in it. Good to hear the Stones and Roxy Music! Afterwards I felt so good about Ep4 I played Bunsen Burner by Cuts. Youtube it if you've never heard it before.

8. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Was great usage of Do The Strand. An unexpected delight!

audiomixer, stereoptic and rontoon like this.
  9. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

So... we know who the girl is from British occupied India Raj world is. Makes sense. The only way she'd be able to understand the lingo of the Ghost World nation is to have been there a long time.

Daddy Delos mind and body can't seem to coordinate. It doesn't help that he's slowly watching William age. We'll keep trying though. Indefinitely. Or at least 149 times.

Struggling with the Bernard timeline. Because I don't know how many different timelines I'm watching. Sometimes more than one at the same time.

Those white droid thingies are creepy.

"If you want to find what you're looking for, you're not going to find it if you're looking forward".

What is this about? Finding your purpose? Discovering your reality? The fact I ask that means this is great television. Or maybe bad TV. Not sure yet.

marmalade166 likes this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Au contraire, given the show's track record, I'm confident that it isn't bad TV.

marmalade166 likes this.
  11. Chris from Chicago

Yeah. I think I know that. Maybe. I just don't know what I know... or what I don't know when I watch this.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  12. It leaves me in a state of slight unrest, which is what The Leftovers did for me. This isn't a bad thing. In fact, I think it's a mark of some very good TV. It's a mix of watching and trying to figure out what I'm watching. Never has there been a time, though, where I've regretted tuning in.

To me, it amplifies what I've known about human nature, but didn't want to look at it too deeply lest I become aware of my own robotic nature. See there? Now I have.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

That whole bit reminded me of "LOST", with Locke on the bicycle-machine, while a record-player's on!

14. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Desmond :)

15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ive been getting a Lost vibe for a while. especially with the speculating after every episode

stereoptic likes this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Except that Lost didn't have a clue what it was about and created cascading bait-and-switch mysteries in lieu of a clear narrative. Westworld has a clear narrative, even if you cannot guess how all the pieces fit together - but fit together they will come the end of the season (just as the first season did).

17. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

As long as it doesn't end like Lost did....ooof

18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

If Delos can 'manufacture' humans, I would think that turntables would be the next thing to duplicate! :)

19. Chris from Chicago

I suspect you're right. I have faith in HBO to get things right. They usually do.

Having said that...I didn't rewatch season 1. Can someone give me a quick lesson what the maze was? I don't really recall and it doesn't seem to factor in this season at all... yet.

20. Bender Rodriguez

Cutting records from that white goop is the UltraDisc One-Step of tomorrow.

SJP and stereoptic like this.
  21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The Maze was a metaphor for the inner path to consciuosness for the hosts.

SJP, Deesky, stereoptic and 3 others like this.
  22. That would make sense, as it would mirror Linn, both run by mad Scotsmen. ;)

stereoptic likes this.
  23. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Next week, Shogun World :goodie:

rontoon likes this.
  24. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Ep. 1 was intriguing. 2 & 3 seemed like an extended set-up which left me wanting for more. Well more was what I got this evening when catching up with Ep. 4. I was never out but now I'm all in once again.

But will white goop give us flawless playback?

GentleSenator likes this.
  25. Bender Rodriguez

Perfect sound forever.

SJP likes this.