Warner Brothers dead wax question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by psulioninks, May 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident Thread Starter

A friend gave me a copy of Black Sabbath's Heaven And Hell with the following information in the dead wax:

Side A: BSK-1-3372-WW2 #2 Winchester logo
    Side B: BSK-2-3372 JW3 #1

Based on my prior knowledge, I understand that the JW and WW are pressing plants used by Capitol:

JW = Jacksonville, IL
    WW = Winchester, VA

I've got many records with a side A mastered by one person/facility and side B another - no big deal, I understand that. But if these are pressing plant codes...shouldn't they be the same? Or do these codes signify they were mastered/cut, not pressed there?

Why is this confusing me???

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Perhaps those codes indicate where the plate was intended to go, but not necessarily where it ended up. I’ve seen several records with mixed codes like that. I never really thought about it.

McLover likes this.
  3. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Wherever it was pressed, one Winchester and one Jacksonville sourced stamper were used. Thats all.

4. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident Thread Starter

So, this album was pressed by a Capitol facility, one just can't determine which one as there are stampers from two different locations?

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Someone like @W.B. might be able to tell which plant from other clues.

6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Yes as I understand it, plants procured paper labels that, while essentially the same label, have different fonts, text size, line arrangement, color tone etc. So a pressing facility might use metal stampers sourced from lacquers cut at sister plants, and the label might resolve where it was. Minutia for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.