How would you rate "Tonight" (1984) by David Bowie?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Hunky Dory - was a big favorite of mine and with my best friend. And then Scary Monsters. I also have a nice Japanese pressing of Ziggy that was a rental record but is still - somehow - NM condition.

2. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

I picked so-so not bad.

I got this when it came out and thought it was awful, traded it back in to a used record store (Generation Records-Cambridge Ma.) a mere two weeks after I bought it new at Discount Records in Harvard Square.
    In the last month I picked up a couple of 12`` singles of songs from that album that blew me away. This compelled me to play the LP for the first time since the year it came out. I LOVED IT ! I now think this is much better than it`s predecessor (Let`s Dance). It is cool how time can make previous notions disappear, for better or worse !

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I love it, play it several times a year. But even I can't get through God Only Knows.
    Loving The Alien is, IMO, a song that rates with Bowie's best in any era.
    I love the late night, smoky ambience of Don't Look down.

fallbreaks and davers like this.
  4. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Yes.
    Black tie & white noise is The first album After tonight I really listen sometimes

5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Some of my enjoyment of this album derives from being 21 and happy. It was better then, right?:) However, I have to take into consideration that Tonight was only my second Bowie album. After Let’s Dance, of course. While I realised that Tonight wasn’t as good as LD, it didn’t discourage me from checking out his back catalogue further. Imagine my delight upon discovering things like Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane and Diamond Dogs a few months later! In a way, Tonight is responsible for that...How can I be bitter?:D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    stef1205, SJP, Solace and 1 other person like this.
  6. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

This pretty much sums up my experience as well. I think a lot of how people react to tonight and NLMD depends on what age you were were when you heard them. For me these two and LD were the first Bowie I bought when they came out and I found plenty to enjoy in all of them even though I knew that objectively they weren't as good as what came before. Of the 3 I'd probably give Tonight the edge just because It has more high points than NLMD and isn't as overexposed as LD. Also the cover art is great which really matters with any Bowie album.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I liked "BTWN" back in the day but I have to admit it doesn't do a lot for me now.

I went through all Bowie's 1993 to 2003 albums recently - I really enjoyed the rest but "BTWN" is awfully spotty. Some tracks I like a lot but a bunch I wanted to skip!

8. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Side one is excellent and Loving The Alien one of his best songs imo.

LoveYourLife likes this.
  9. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

"Loving the Alien", which is excellent, just about manages to keep the album's head above water. I'm not too keen on "Blue Jean" personally but it's not terrible, and I strangely don't mind "Tonight" with Tina Turner although it was clearly intended as a radio-friendly pop song plus Turner was pretty much on fire that year with her singles from Private Dancer so the record label may have thought they had a sure fire hit on their hands. The Beach Boys cover was a mistake and the limp production on some of the tracks generally let's the whole thing down I feel.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  10. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Me too. I don't know what everyone thinks is so bad about it.

LoveYourLife and davers like this.
  11. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I like Tonight a lot but I recognize the flaws when compared with Bowie's golden years.

12. LoveYourLife

I kind of like it too. I think others miss the torment of the Iggy version or dislike the faux-reggae ting of this remake. Or both...

Shaddam IV likes this.
  13. epp56

epp56 Forum Resident

Some decent songs lost by bad production

14. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

and the presence of Tina Turner.

strummer101 likes this.
  15. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

There is a special place in hell for the people who don't appreciate the genius of God Only Knows cover. One of Bowie's absolute peaks as a performer.

mikaal likes this.
  16. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

and it's going to be very crowded.

17. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I would like Satan to provide extra torchure for this crowd. Bowie's God Only Knows is one of the best things in life...ever.

18. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Don’t know, why this record receives so much hate.

I bought it coincidentally around 12 years ago (on CD, later the LP) and really enjoyed it. Can easily listen to the whole thing.

I find it more accessible then some of the 70s stuff - however then nineties and later is the period I like the best.

Didn’t listen to tonight for quite some time, but will do, after crossing this thread.

My top 3 bowie records are: Ziggy Stardust, Outside & Blackstar.
    Tonight is not even in my top 5, but I like the positive feel and it kinda “swings”.
    It has a good flow and starts quite strong with loving the alien, Don’t look down and God only knows. There not a single track I particularly don’t like.

In conclusion: not his strongest one, but - for me a very enjoyable and standing the time pretty well!

19. LoveYourLife

See you there folks! Now there's a future thread we need on here too, what music will they be playing in hell...

20. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I wouldn't recommend it to anybody

21. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

This is not America is a good 80s crooner-style song, but it wasn't included

22. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

I remember working in college radio when it came out- he seemed like he was on top of the world after "Let's Dance" and this one landed with such a thud I'm not sure his career ever completely recovered commercially

23. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Let's dance was a weak effort too. Three hit singles and sub-par filler

24. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

25. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Not that surprising really as it was recorded a year after Tonight...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.