Beatles Box Set LPS

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Jeff Fennik, Aug 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Fennik

Jeff Fennik Member Thread Starter

In the late 70's I worked for Capitol Records for a short period. In that time I purchased from them the 1978 Beatles Box Set. Of course, as some of you know, all were numbered and 3,000 were made. Well I have number 10 and the plastic is still on the box. Never opened. I have never seen one for sale in all these years like the one I have. Just wanted any opinions on what a collector might pay for this great box set. Thanks. Jeff

Simon A likes this.
  2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

A Capitol LP Box set in '78????

Was it UK or US albums?

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Have a look on these sites in case a sealed copy was listed. US or UK albums would make a difference

popsike.com
    collectorsfrenzy.com

A sealed US copy sold on ebay in July for $1000 listed as a Buy It Now. Yours is #10 so I expect it might attract a higher amount.

4. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

This one? https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-The-Beatles-Collection/release/5896711

It has the UK albums, but with a Rarities LP like the one in the UK box, except the two German tracks were replaced with the English versions.

There is also this 1984 box, with the US albums, which I think would be even rarer than the US blue box:
    Beatles 16 LP Record Album Capitol Promo Collection Platinum Box Rock 1984 »
    Beatles 16 LP Record Album Capitol Promo Collection Platinum Box Rock 1984 MINT »

Simon A likes this.
  5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I have one of these. This box has been covered here many times.

Calling it a "Capitol box" is a misnomer. It was simply the US version of the BC-13. Unlike the UK boxes, the US box was numbered. It contained stock UK albums except Rarities - which is a unique pressing only found in the US box, i.e. different from the standard US & UK Rarities releases. Purple Capitol label - mastered by Wally Traugott - with just a flimsy paper outer sleeve (basically like an inner sleeve) that looks like the UK Rarities, but with a slightly different track selection as someone mentioned above.

As for what this one is worth, it's hard to say. Other than the low number & the otherwise unavailable version of Rarities, it's basically the same as a U.K. box (which is nothing more than a collection of mid-late 70's stock inventory in a box). So the value depends upon how important those 2 things are to a potential buyer. If I had to guess, given the apparent condition, it could sell for $500-$1000...maybe more if the right collector is looking to buy at the time you're selling.

6. Jeff Fennik

US
    Is your box still sealed?

7. Jeff Fennik

This is from the US.

8. Jeff Fennik

This is from the US.

9. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Don't worry about the minutia with this one. You've got a great piece, and I seriously don't think you will have to worry one bit about finding the right timing for it.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No. And it’s neither Capitol nor US albums. There was no commercially available US box of US LPs in 1978.

11. Jeff Fennik

Thank you you all for your responses. This is still sealed answering someones question. I will sell this only to a Beatles Collector. I've had this all these years and will keep it for the right purchaser. Pretty sure someone will want this eventually. Asking $1800.00 on ebay but maybe will take off and find a REAL collector soon. Thanks again all.

12. Jeff Fennik

Yes its from Capitol, US. They made 3,000. I worked for them when I purchased it. 1978. Not sure where you got your info.

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No it isn’t Capitol. Period. You may have worked for them when you purchased it, but you are simply incorrect. Look at the side of the box...do you see any indication of Capitol? Or do you see “BC-13” and the EMI emblem?

Capitol just imported and assembled them. The only things unique about the US box are the numbered box and the US box only version Rarities pressed in the US and on the purple Capitol label. The other LPs are UK EMI/Parlophone or UK Apple label pressings of the UK albums - just like the UK box.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

About 5 years ago, I bought one of these, sealed, for less than $300 on eBay. Higher number than yours, though. That was a bargain, for sure, but they are not that hugely collected because they are so similar to the (common) BC-13 box from Europe.

And, yes, it was distributed by Capitol in the US, with a list price of around $130. But the contents--outside of the Rarities LP, which is unique to the box and the US--were just stock UK pressings.

15. bayen

bayen Forum Resident

I also purchased a sealed #'d box in the early days of eBay...seller didn't advertise well and I purchased for less than $200. A definite plus is that you can almost guarantee that some of the LP's have first press matrices. At the time of purchase I did some research and found that 4/5 sides of these early 78 pressings used original stampers.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The Blue Boxes just used existing inventory; the early ones most likely had few, if any, new '78 pressings (if there is even such a thing).

17. bayen

bayen Forum Resident

Yes, agreed. I was referring to the box set as a '78 pressing...should have said '78 release. It's been years since I researched but I do remember this set was compiled for some time and purchasing a #'d U.S. set could guarantee that you were buying an early box...rather than an early 80's set or even later...think they were compiled until '87. I had another set that must have been compiled using LP's with later pressings and much different matrices....sure I have this info somewhere. Anyway, I was surprised when I opened the 1978 U.S. Box set and found at least 4 LP's with first press matrices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.