Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm not American, but if the dealer carries the deck as a stock item I'm not sure why he wants paying up front, perhaps a 10% deposit if you want him to hold one for you, but full payment sounds strange to me, even if paying with a credit card I'd be very wary of paying up front, what happens if your travel plans change for example.

2. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Is it a refundable deposit, or a true prepay? In my limited experience I've not ever been asked to prepay, but I wouldn't be bothered by a fully refundable deposit. That's also a slick sales trick. It'll be so much easier to pull the trigger if you don't have to hand over cash day of.
    But I'd get some details on that process. I know some dealers are having issues keeping these in stock, so it might be creating some new practices. Just make sure you're protected with your options.

punkmusick likes this.
  3. I can't comment on the prepay issue, but just be aware that the box of the 1200G is big as well as heavy (40 -45 lbs.). Mentioning it so you'll be prepared to take it on your flight home.

PhilBiker, displayname and punkmusick like this.
  4. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Do you know the measurements?

5. Sorry I don't as my box is in storage. Maybe someone else has it handy?

punkmusick likes this.
  6. punkmusick

I'll ask the dealer, thanks

7. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

How many of you owners of the new G or GR series units are using higher-end moving coil cartridges on these turntables? And how is the medium-mass arm on these tables able to deal with these lower compliance cartridges?

8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

What is the exact figure that you would classify a cart as lower compliance?

9. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Theres a number of moving coils out there that are a perfect match for a 12g eff mass tonearm. Sumiko and AT for starters.

10. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I use Ortofon MC carts from 12 to 16 with no issues whatsoever. My test record as well as calculations give good results. Ortofon Cadenza carts run about 10 grams.

11. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

If you are asking him to hold on to a G that he might otherwise sell, I can see why he wants payment up front. I guess the question is, do you get 100% refund if you decide not to go ahead and purchase based on your audition? Very unlikely though. That's a decent price.

displayname, Aftermath and punkmusick like this.
  12. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I personally would not "prepay" for any turntable so that it would be "available" for audition. The dealer's cost of doing business is to make such an item available for potential buyers to listen to in the event they decide to buy one. If this dealer carries Technics tables there is essentially zero risk that he will somehow be stuck with the turntable. I'm not sure what city you'll be visiting, but I would absolutely find a dealer that will simply make the table available to you at no cost, or I would do without. Your decision, your money, but I would not trust such a situation, not at all.

Also, have you looked into import duties when you carry this gigantic box into customs in Brazil? Are you sure that you won't be levied with a large fee/duty to bring it home? Beyond the physical hassle of carrying it back, I would check into all possible SNAFUs before buying something expensive and taking it to another country.

All just food for thought.

displayname and punkmusick like this.
  13. punkmusick

I believe it's more a situation where they might have a few units and if I want one that very day, I need to pay for it now, otherwise it may be sold when I get there. I suppose I can do some kind of deposit with credit card, I'll see.

About import duties, I know, they will be expensive. However, it's how it works. If some store import one for me it would be even more expensive.

14. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

If Technics has no sales outlet in Brazil (how is that possible?) then it makes sense. Depending on the item and the aggressiveness of customs on your end, that could become a very expensive record player when you're done paying duties. I hope the purchase goes well for you though. I have no intention to rain on your parade! You'll have a little story to tell people as they admire it in the future.

punkmusick likes this.
  15. punkmusick

Technics only authorized dealer in Latin America is located in Chile. Brazilians are frequent costumers there.

H8SLKC and displayname like this.
  16. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Enjoy your stay here either way.

H8SLKC and punkmusick like this.
  17. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

Technics SL-1210GR tonearm lift problem

18. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I’ll bite: what’s the problem? Looks like the person in the video is jerking the lever to make the tone arm bounce.

19. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Same here - I have never, nor would I ever jitter my tonearm like that with the cue lever.

Halloween_Jack and displayname like this.
  20. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Yeah, where's the problem?

displayname likes this.
  21. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

I think the cue lever mechanism is not working properly, like it jumps a bit. I don't know

Something like this

22. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

This is the second video I've seen like this. The first one I saw seemed less abusive. This video seems like they are really flicking the cue around to prove their point. But in a normal situation that cue looks like it would still place the stylus down appropriately. In the other one I saw it did seem potentially a little jerky. Interestingly though, both were on the 1210GR. I think in the US only guitar center has the 1210GR. Maybe that point is relevant, but maybe not.

23. punkmusick

I think this guy is an amateur DJ trying to do some scratch with the cue.

24. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

That looks like a real issue to me. I tried it on my G and nothing I did could make it jump. Smooth as silk up or down regardless of how I moved the lever. Those in the videos almost seemed like the lift used a different mechanism.

punkmusick likes this.
  25. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Yes it does. When I had the GR here, the cue lever was nowhere as smooth as on the GAE. It did not seem to have the same damping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.