What is the best Led Zeppelin 4 vinyl pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Schoen, Mar 15, 2011.

1. SM1985

SM1985 Forum Resident

Yes please do that.Define the pros and cons of each copy

john lennonist and SirMarc like this.
  2. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Just bought this copy today at a record fair,the clerk told me it was a second pressing;from 1976,haven't played it yet,also gabbed the RL cut of HOTH,second pressing too.
    22$ each.

3. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I just got this album today.... Its a CRC copy and sounds gorgeous!! (One of the thinnest records I have seen I might add)

4. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Like many here I've struggled to find a clean copy of IV. I love the US Porky but each one I come across has been played a LOT. I just found an immaculate Canadian copy that looks like a 1977 reissue (KSD 19129), hoping my problems were solved, and while side 2 rocks, side 1 is just a bit dull. I'll keep it but the hunt continues!

5. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I have multiple copies and nothing sounds as bad as a copy i have labeled 7208 with R112014A
    under it.

latheofheaven likes this.
  6. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

I have a CRC copy too. SD19129 Presswell 1977 reissue with original style inner sleeve. Side Two has @T GP in the deadwax.

It is in clean condition with little surface noise, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Wondering about the recent remaster vinyl.

7. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

You can't go wrong with Classic Records 180 or 200 gram pressing of IV.
    I have several US and UK pressings and overall I think the Classic 200 gram is the best pressing I have heard.
    I know they are getting pricey but they are worth it!

john lennonist and Sailor like this.
  8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

That would be an RCA club pressing.

john lennonist likes this.
  9. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Wow they put out a re-issue as well?

The CRC I have is the orignal SD 7208 (My 8 track is the same CRC 7208 master)

10. l0ren

l0ren Member

I recently picked up a Japanese pressing (P-10125A '76 re-issue) and it sounds pretty awful in some parts, mediocre at best. My best guess is that previous owner(s) unknowingly damaged it through any number of factors (misaligned carts, tracking force, etc...) though the disc looks great! Without any basis for comparison I may spring for one of these Monarch pressings mentioned throughout the discussion. I also have a Physical Graffiti Japanese in the mail, should be arriving soon.

11. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Just listening to a top quality rip i have of an original 7.5 ips reel to reel tape and it's even better than the UK plum vinyl! EQ wise its very similar to the plum just more full and in your face sounding. Best i've ever heard this album for sure!

12. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I thought I would share some info I learned recently. A few weeks ago I attended a family reunion, and my uncle brought his LZ IV vinyl album. It was a Christmas present my mother bought for him in 1971, and he wanted to show everyone he still had it. Both my mom and uncle are 100% sure it was 1971, because he was still living at home, and moved out of state in February of 1972. I was immediately intrigued because his album has to be a first pressing, since LZ IV was released in November of 1971. My good uncle let me take his pressing home so that I could give it a few spins and share the deadwax info. This is a terrific sounding pressing, probably the best I've heard for LZ IV.
    Here is the info:
    Atlantic U.S. SD 7208 pressed at Presswell with Broadway address
    side 1: Porky ST-A-712285 AT/GP
    side 2: Pecko Duck ST-A-712286 AT/GP
    I will be on the lookout for one of these to add to my collection.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    ripping corpse and steviebee like this.
  13. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Yes. I think the best sounding copy I have has this deadwax:
    side 1: ST-A-712285-E AT/GP PR-ck PORKY
    side 2: ST-A-712286-E AT/GP PR-ck PECKO DUCK
    SD 7208. Broadway address, no 2 letter code but has speciality records stamps. It has a lot of noise but man it thumps and has presence and depth.

I also really like the copy below that I recently found because mine is so clean it's almost mint. The record retains a lot of the good aspects of the earlier pressings. Maybe it benefits from fresh stampers or plates:
    SD 19129 PR:
    Side 1: ST-A-712285-E AT/GP PRP PORKY
    Side 2: ST-A-712286-C PRP PECKO DUCK

14. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I have several 1977 reissues, my best sounding has your same numbers with side 1 ending in J. AT/GP. Side two has Pecko Duck AT/GP ending with D pressed at Monarch.

15. SM1985

SM1985 Forum Resident

16. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I bought a Classic Records 200g version of this today. I have an original porky/ pecko but mine sounds very thin.

This version really rocks out. Damn!

17. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

RCA Music Service...

john lennonist likes this.
  18. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

What about a transitional UK Porky, James?

19. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Probably the least expensive way to get the best sounding version. But it has to be the 'original' a3 / b3 or b4 matrices, not the later ones which have lower numbers a2 / b2.

20. marcfeld69

Me like! The one I have is A3/B4. I actually just bought an RI Peckoduck/Piros (which I had had previously and sold) just so that I can now compare the two. I got the transitional off Discogs, so it's been a while since I listened.

Btw, any views on the 80s Piros 'new audio' in the dw?

Pancat likes this.
  21. marcfeld69

My hero! :goodie:

ODShowtime, latheofheaven and Giorgio like this.
  22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I like the Classic 200 gram. It actually has bass, as compared to the various original US copies I have. The 2014 is solid too, but I need to go back and do some comparisons.

latheofheaven likes this.
  23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

More bass and more softening of the middle - where musical magic lies. Led Zeppelin records should rock and the Classic - while not bad by any stretch - is too polite IMO (which the case with most of the Classic LZs).

marcfeld69 and latheofheaven like this.
  24. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Man I've come a long way since that old Specialty Porky cut I mentioned in August. That's my office copy now. I have two that I love and can't decide which is better:

This one is great, Presswell, Broadway labels:
    Side 1: ST-A-712285-F Porky AT/GP PR
    Side 2: ST-A-712286-F Pecko Duck AT/GP PR

I think I like this the best, also Presswell, early Broadway labels:
    Side 1: ST A 712285D AT/GP PECKO PR
    Side 2: ST A 712286D AT/GP PECKO DUCK PR

Dr. Funk and latheofheaven like this.
  25. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Out of my six US copies, the following sounds best to my ears........
    Porky ST- A- 7122 85- C at/gp PR (side 1)
    Pecko Duck ST- A- 7122 86- D at/gp PR (side 2)
    1841 Broadway (Presswell)
    I agree with a previous poster (Raunchnroll?) who suggested the sound on these Broadway pressings are hit or miss because of stamper use. A ton of these albums were sold, and it's likely these plates were pushed to the limit and beyond. The sound on pressing I referenced above has some fresh sounding in your face sonics, and respectable bass. What's interesting, I have several other Broadway label, Porky, Pecko Duck pressings that don't sound near as nice.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    wwright and latheofheaven like this.