Good Deals on amazon.com (part3)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by lv70smusic, Mar 14, 2014.

1. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I picked up the MOV reissue of Agharta recently. Nicely made, quiet, good-if-not-quite-great sounding record. Never heard an original, the preferred Japan press is $$.

Not quite sure I'm ready to buy Doo Bop without having heard it first..

latheofheaven likes this.
  2. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

They also use original analog tapes and metal parts, it just depends on the master. I believe you are right, though, that they, like some other companies (Optimal...?) do not list the cutting engineers. The ones that I have acquired, unlike many others, always look perfect, no obvious visible pressing flaws, and so far are always flat and very quiet.

3. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Ok! I might have to get that Drunk Sweetheart 3Lp then.

4. latheofheaven

I would suggest you find the album / songs online (YouTube / Amazon samples) to make sure that you like the material. It is VERY funky and dynamic with a little Rap here and there over it, but to me not in an overly intrusive way (more like straight spoken word almost - again only about 15% or so of the album has that) And, if you like the material, I can absolutely vouch for the sound quality IF you like really punchy and dynamic rhythmic sound. The only albums that I have acquired in the last while that had that much of a stunning dynamic quality to it, were Daniel Ash's 'Stripped', Gary Numan's 'Splinter', the LOVELY Chelsea Wolfe's 'Hiss Spun', and Richard Hawley's 'Standing at the Sky's Edge'

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Never heard of them using analog sources, ever. Did they update their website to mention that, now?

Think of it this way. If they did, they'd have a hype sticker on every LP. ;)

black sheriff and latheofheaven like this.
  6. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I assume all MOV titles are digitally sourced because of their never mention mastering but my ears tell me maybe that's wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if their version of The Moody Blues' To Our Children's Children's Children is analog sourced. It sure sounds it. So does MOV's version of Chris Whitley's Living With The Law. 12" singles from that record's release definitely tells me Living With The Law was recorded, mixed and mastered in the analog realm.

I wouldn't let the lack of a hype sticker be the determining factor. If they put even one on a sleeve, then in brings all the other titles into play.

It's like entering a relationship where she says don't ask questions about my past. Everything is then off limits, even the good bits.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

8. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

This is where I am as well. I think well done digitally sourced vinyl still offers advantages over CD.

latheofheaven and Myke like this.
  9. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Hi res is hi res if it's a clean quiet pressing I'm down !

10. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Album Leaf - In a Safe Place LP (Sub Pop) ~~ $11.99

11. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

I definitely recall from earlier forum discussions that MOV only had the capability to cut lacquers from digital sources. As long as it is a high quality transfer I'm ok with that.
    I am not as sure, but believe I read that MOV was working on adding analog source capabilities. With the quality of their pressings that would be wonderful news!

latheofheaven and Davidmk5 like this.
  12. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

This super band album of Diddley, Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf is tremendous. The CD sounds incredible, very good recording and warm sound. It’s a must get for five bucks. Trust me on this one. They sing back and forth with each other, - like “Hey Wolf, what you know about the Cajun cooking.” Electric guitar is dirty as hell, and there’s great female backing vocals all over it.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    black sheriff and latheofheaven like this.
  13. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It was Otis Redding's and Oscar Robertson's as well.

15. aoxomoxoa

16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

lightbulb and Marko K like this.
  17. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

I have a couple of the MOV Depeche Mode reissues and I like them, good sound and very nice pressings. Songs of Faith and Devotion and Speak & Spell, good stuff.

I also had an Otis Redding that they did but sold it as it was fake stereo. Again, a nice pressing though.

Got my copy of Bayou Country yesterday, probably my favorite CCR album. Could tell it was dish warped unfortunately, it had that pringle-y look to it in the shrink. Also, the record had busted through the paper inner and was covered in paper dust. I wasn't hopeful.

But man, this record sounded really good and surprisingly clean, a bit of background swoosh from being dished. I can see why the Hoffman/Gray cut is lauded, really fun listen! This one is probably going to back for an exchange though.

18. aoxomoxoa

Sorry guys, to me the big O is always Otis. Won’t happen again. But seriously, was it that confusing?
    And for God’s sake it’s Otis Redding. Of course it’s click worthy !

latheofheaven and eelkiller like this.
  19. Myke

But nobody knows that until they click. :laugh:

lightbulb likes this.
  20. aoxomoxoa

Well even if I was talking about Roy, y’all should have clicked. :laugh:

sennj and latheofheaven like this.
  21. Myke

Thinking it was Roy, was why I did, then I was disappointed. That's life. :shrug:

22. eelkiller

Don't blame you a bit, I responded to a post saying Big O was Orbison's nickname. Nicknames are not copyrighted so I pointed out that you were right on with your post.

latheofheaven and aoxomoxoa like this.
  23. aoxomoxoa

I would love a Roy Orbison at the Whisky LP! I wonder if he ever recorded there?

rswitzer and latheofheaven like this.
  24. eelkiller

There must be a click-worthy link somewhere that will answer the "?"

25. latheofheaven

Yes they did. They mention it along with original metal parts AND / OR high res transfers. You stated that they did NOT use analog sources, they do...

aoxomoxoa likes this.