Dead & Company: The Grateful Dead Is Resurrected (Again), This Time With John Mayer *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Aug 5, 2015.

1. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Haven’t been able to get nugs.tv to load in my browser since it started but got to it through this YouTube link (which I’m sending to my TV). Long, slow Shakedown to start

2. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

One tune in and Mayer is making some EPIC faces. :p

Thought this Shakedown was maybe tooooo slow during the vocals, but it’s been nice for the jam.

adamos likes this.
  3. Claxton

Alabama followed by It’s All Over Now. First time played for these two?

4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Yup. IAON sounds like a good fit. Bama sounds like a 45 played at 33.

Dahabenzapple and ianuaditis like this.
  5. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Enjoying the show. Separately, I’m not a fan of how Bob sings Scarlet Begonias (or at least how he sang it tonight). He sort of shouts some of the lyrics in a gruff way that doesn’t seem to fit the song.

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  6. RayS

The sample size is admittedly very small, but the best vocalist in the band may be hiding behind the bass.

gdpeck, jeffsab, snigglefritz and 6 others like this.
  7. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

It's not even close.

Nice Althea right now, by the way.

SBegonias17, Claxton and RayS like this.
  8. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Althea is definitely a highlight so far, it’s right in Mayer’s wheelhouse.

9. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

This 'Estimated' is pretty good, but there were a few times where it slowed to such a crawl it sounded like a tape getting eaten by the cassette player.

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  10. Claxton

This “Eyes” is right at the tempo where I prefer it to live. Wish Oteil was singing it. Maybe he gets a “China Doll” after Space.

RayS likes this.
  11. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Real nice jam in 'Eyes'. The sound quality is quite good in this webcast - nicely mixed and balanced, with just a little crowd noise. I flipped the switch over to "Dolby Pro Logic" and it has opened it up a bit to sound even better.

RayS likes this.
  12. Claxton

No doubt about that Eyes. Chimenti and Oteil killin’ It.

RayS likes this.
  13. RayS

Second set so far really nice IMO. Eyes really took off sweetly.

adamos likes this.
  14. RayS

For my two cents, Bob has absolutely sucked the life out of “Touch”. Otherwise, 2nd set (especially Althea and Eyes) made me excited to see this band again.

15. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Watching the repeat - thought It's All Over Now was pretty good --- Jeff was esp. great and Weir's vocals were pretty great. The tempos are the tempos - I am fine with them. Do wish Mayer would change his tone a bit - esp. when he solo's -- there is never any bite --- his playin is fine, though.

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Wow, without reading this I just posted a very similar comment in the main thread.

Mayer is too reserved IMO, even on tunes where Garcia burned it down he keeps that clean tone.

SBegonias17, adamos and hyde park like this.
  17. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

A simple toggle adjustment on his guitar might help with Mayer -- I don't know. He is a great player and i am sure they rehearse to get their sound down --- with Weir's somewhat harsh sound, maybe Mayer and the rest of the band seems to think his tone should not have a hint of bite --- I think it should, though.

18. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Attending the Camden shows this weekend. I thought Friday night was pretty good and an improvement over Mansfield. Tempo issues reared their familiar head, but on some songs more than others. The Jack Straw reprise to close the first set was nice. Debut of Jack-A-Roe. Good second set overall. To me they sometimes get lost when they open up songs like Cassidy or particularly Dark Star, but they’re trying (and this DS was better than others I’ve seen them do). And it’s always nice to get a St. Stephen. Flaws and all, for me Dead & Co is a fun live experience.

I’ll have to relisten because I may have been influenced by the clouds of smoke enveloping me from all directions, but I thought JM did a nice job on Black Muddy River which was placed right before Drums. It felt like a moment, at least in the moment.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  19. RayS

I watched the first two songs on the nugs feed, and yeah, "Jack Straw" may have set a new record for slow tempo. Looking at the setlist I thought "Black Muddy River" in that slot was a cool choice, nice. Enjoy the show tonight! I think the last time I was in Camden was for The Other Ones in 2000 with Ziggy Marley opening. Who sang "Jack-A-Roe"?

jmcinnis and adamos like this.
  20. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Thanks! Bob sang it, bringing his own phrasing to it as he is wont to do. I wouldn’t call it a classic rendition but was still cool to get. :)

RayS likes this.
  21. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I thought last night's show was very good. I watched/listened to some via alternative channels. Second set started with NFA and a 20-minute Dark Star which was nice.

Currently listening to this on CD:

[​IMG]

22. Claxton

Working around the house today, I decided to pull up the Dallas show from December, 2017. Top to bottom, I think it may be the best D&C show I’ve heard period. Killer “Casey Jones” to end it, and the “Brown Eyed Women” has a much more normal tempo.

adamos, Erik B. and ianuaditis like this.
  23. RayS

So apparently tonight's show was aborted 3 songs into the second set. I don't think rain would be enough to call it ...lightning I guess?

24. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Weird stoppage. Was gonna stream tonight until I found out you cant cast nugs.net streams from your phone. They need to get with the times.

25. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

if the thunder dont get you