Dead & Company: The Grateful Dead Is Resurrected (Again), This Time With John Mayer *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Aug 5, 2015.

1. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

IWT again last night. The first set didn’t do a lot for me I have to admit, I thought Friday was better. It did have some fun moments though, like Bobby going falsetto in his later verse in The Weight (however the song itself had tempo issues). It was cool to get It Hurts Me Too, which JM played Chicago Blues style. However the Easy Answers set closer would not have been my choice. :)

I was digging the second set though while it lasted. We were 30 minutes into Playing > UJB and they had a nice groove going when venue staff came out to stop the show because a big thunderstorm storm was coming in.

They asked everyone in the lawn to head into the pavilion lobby until it passed. It took a while before the rain actually started and from what I could see many stayed out there. Eventually it did come in a big way though and then people scattered. Down in the pavilion everyone was just hanging out and waiting for the show to resume, but after a while we saw crew start taking down the electronics and then eventually someone came out and said the storm wasn’t stopping so the show was over. Then they asked everyone to start leaving which seemed a little funny since the dangerous storm that created all this fuss was still going.

Anyway, over two nights we still got 3 1/3 sets of music and a good time was had by all.

2. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

Heading to the Cinnci show tomorrow! Really excited!

adamos, budwhite, warewolf95 and 2 others like this.
  3. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Bummed i cant attend anything. We drive all throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey and ive been seeing billboarda from the highway haha.

Have a good time everyone :)

adamos, nfmboss666 and wavethatflag like this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Bummer about what happened but you can't fight mother nature.

adamos likes this.
  5. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

They are selling this abbreviated show for the same full price over at live dead dot co.

6. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

They should be throwing this one in free with any other purchase.

Panama Hotel and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  7. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

The small print on the ticket states "HOLDER BEARS ALL RISKS OF INCLEMENT WEATHER" (and there's probably a similar disclaimer for the webcast) but I thought they might send everyone a code for a free future webcast or something like that, just to be nice. Might be hard to coordinate though between band, LiveNation/TM, Nugs, etc.

8. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

Understand, I LOVE what D&C are doing. But this comment I saw on an Instagram post this morning is pretty dang spot on:

"Dead & Company: Half the speed, twice the price."

9. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Would an old Deadhead like me like these guys? I was just offered 4 VIP tickets for a show next week and am giving at least 2 to my niece. Should I go too? The seats are so close to the stage that I would have to bring a raincoat for Weir's spray. Other than Lesh, I haven't seen a "Dead" show since 1987!

10. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Oh, Jerry, go, go, go! The price is right, and great seats! If you go and think, "Meh," at least you tried. You must go. If you don't like it, you can come here and b--ch about it! :D

I'm going with my brother to the L.A. show. We're in the pit because I paid stupid money. I think he likes them better than I do, and I'm the Deadhead. This will be my fourth D&C show, so obviously they're good enough for me. But I've also attended more post-Jerry shows with ex-members than actual GD shows.

SBegonias17, budwhite and Jerry like this.
  11. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

I saw the show last night in Cinci. Great set list IMO. loved it. Bob's equipment gave him trouble through most of the second set which was a bit of a bummer but they got through it. Can't wait for the next one.

12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

For a few moments during "Truckin'" I was afraid that Bob was going to need some medical attention. Glad it all worked out! I really like the D&C interpretation of "Hard Rain", I'd feel lucky to catch one of those.

nfmboss666 and wavethatflag like this.
  13. wavethatflag

This is a contract of adhesion, because you had no opportunity to negotiate its terms, but most consumer contracts are adhesion contracts, and are usually enforceable. (This is not legal advice, I'm not your attorney.)
    I'm a broken record saying this, but this is where Bob usually takes the music.

14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

In the super-slowed-down version of "Me and My Uncle", the uncle dies of natural causes before the nephew can let him have it.

15. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Didn't realize they broke out "If I Had the World to Give" last year...

RayS likes this.
  16. wavethatflag

The nephew wanted to leave uncle's dead ass at the side of the road, but couldn't get it done before new legislative restrictions took his six shooter away.

ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  17. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

I would absolutely go! Tempos aside, you should get to hear some great playing. Mayer can hold his own, Oteil and Chimenti are rock solid (and, to me, the ones that really keep D&C moving), and the Rhythm Devils are doing some nice stuff.

Go take a look/listen to the Mansfield show from last week. I'd even suggest checking out the Dallas show from last December. It's a good 'un.

18. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Yes. Definitely go. Have fun and enjoy the environment. I'm excited for Alpine in a few weeks!

hyde park, SBegonias17, Jerry and 2 others like this.
  19. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Really wishing I was heading to Alpine this summer, but sadly I don't think I'll be able to swing it.

20. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I definitely think what they're doing is cool, and with Oteil and Chimenti they have a great band, but that is pretty much perfect. Twice the price if you're lucky.

I stopped into a head shop the other day and they happened to have a poster of the October 94 run at MSG (the only GD show I saw.) I paid 30 bucks all told for that, with fees and everything, nowadays the cheapest lawn ticket in Hartford is $50.00 and that's not a 'guaranteed resale' ticket, so whatever that means, it'll cost you another 17 bucks per 'seat.' I saw Furthur Festival a couple of times at SPAC, the lawn ticket couldn't have been more than $15-20.

For free, I would definitely go just to see Oteil, he's the real story with this band IMO. If I could get backstage I'd be trying to find out why no one seems to have dosed Josh yet.

wavethatflag, Claxton and budwhite like this.
  21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Maybe they already have! :shrug:

Also, Oteil is worth the price of admission on his own. And he tends to hang out with the drummers during Drums. He's definitely on the bus.

22. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Anyone else going to Raleigh this weekend?

I would definitely go if given free tickets, I paid considerably more than free for this weekend’s show. They’re playing well and doing some interesting things in terms of set lists and jams, seems like they’re really gelling as a unit.

wavethatflag likes this.
  23. snigglefritz

snigglefritz Forum Resident

SBegonias, I'll be at Raleigh tomorrow.

SBegonias17 and wavethatflag like this.
  24. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Are start times still around 715?

Headed to atlanta this afternoon! My 3rd D&C show. Caught Furthur twice, the Other Ones once and a spring 95 GOGD show.

Fun times.

wavethatflag likes this.
  25. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Cool! Have you ever been to Walnut Creek before? I haven't and am wondering if there's anything I need to know. I'm in section 6, just under the covered roof.

Enjoy! The official start is 7 and they usually take the stage around 715.