Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

It's impossible for me to leave a nice clean RCA Plum Dog at a thrift store, so here's tonight's spin...haven't listened to the Saint-Saens yet, but the Chopin is well executed. Someone wrote "12-24-56" on the back cover, looks like it was a Christmas present...very neat.
    [​IMG]

Marzz, Uncle Meat, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Hm, I've never heard a Solti performance that I would call subtle. In comparison some sound more subtle than others, but that's it. Different tastes and all that :)

ToddBD likes this.
  3. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Agreed...I have a DVD of Solti conducting the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra, Mendelssohn Symphony No. 4 and Shostakovich Symphony No. 10. He could generate great power and energy, but was also quite sensitive.

yasujiro likes this.
  4. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

You're right, "subtle" is not the first word that comes to mind when I think of Solti...nor the second or third, probably :D

5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I’ve heard the exemplary performance of Mendelssohn’s MSND Scherzo in a Chicago Symphony regular concert in NYC. It was so subtle and sounded out of this world.

An example.

ToddBD likes this.
  6. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

I've heard that CSO performances in NY in that era were significant events...resulting in a sort of "Why can't the NY Philharmonic play like that?"...

bruce2 and yasujiro like this.
  7. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Solti’s baton technique on the gigantic and ultra complex finale of Akt2 is also incredible.

bruce2 likes this.
  8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I cannot say I have any go-to Mahler recordings since I really do not like Mahler works that much. I collected his recordings simply because he was an important composer in the early 1900's ...

9. drh

drh Talking Machine

My favorite account of the Saint-Saens!

ToddBD likes this.
  10. The B-tles

The B-tles Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    bruce2 likes this.
  11. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I always loved this, perfection

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

crispi likes this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying D.664 and D.894 from the above set.

JuniorMaineGuide and Marzz like this.
  14. George P

For me, the sonics were a letdown, but I also found Annie's playing to be disappointing. I wanted more excitement from her. And the slow movement was too fast.

hvbias likes this.
  15. Pericles

Pericles Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendation. Along with Klemperer #2, I've also just ordered Barbirolli #5. Hopefully these should keep me busy for a while (hint: they won't...).

16. George P

Your welcome! Barbirolli's 6th is my favorite recording of any Mahler symphony.

[​IMG]

ToddBD and crispi like this.
  17. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

Mahler 1-Kubelik, 2-Solti LSO, 3-Mehta Los Angeles, 4-Maazel VPO, 5-Karajan, 6-Barbirolli, 7-Bernstein Sony, 8-Solti, 9-Barenboim.

Pericles and George P like this.
  18. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying D.958 and D.959 from the above set.

Marzz likes this.
  19. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I can't see either without opening in a new tab, but that's typical for discog.com images. I don't know why.

20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

My list is Mahler 1-Nezet-Seguin, 2-Walter 1958, 3-Mehta LA, 4-Reiner CSO, 5 Solti CSO Live 1990, 6-Karajan, 7-Levine, 8-Ozawa, 9-Karajan.

yasujiro likes this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I think you misread my post, I can see the image - twice :)

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I can't post a full list of favourite conductors of Mahler Symphonies as it depends on the mood I'm in, but Nézet-Séguin, Mehta and Ozawa wouldn't be on it. Szell's 4th and Karajan's 9th (the live one from 1992) are the best of those symphonies in my opinion, regardless of mood :) Conductors I like in Mahler are Haitink, Klemperer (2 and 9), Abbado, Giulini (1 and 9), Boulez, Chailly, Szell (6), Karajan and Kubelík (1). I probably forgot one or two.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    SteelyTom likes this.
  23. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying D.960 from the above set.

Marzz and Eigenvector like this.
  24. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Bernstein??

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Bernstein is not a favourite of mine. I acknowledge his efforts to revive interest in Mahler, but that doesn't mean I have to like his work, it's not mandatory - it seems to be like that in the US :).

SteelyTom and crispi like this.