Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 3, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

It looks like at some point, somebody tried to start one of these but it didn't even really get to the first album.
    So here we go.

Nick Cave
    AO

[​IMG]
    Nick Cave in October 2012
    Background information
    Birth name
    Nicholas Edward Cave
    Born 22 September 1957 (age 60)
    Warracknabeal, Victoria, Australia
    Genres Post-punk, gothic rock,[1][2]alternative rock, experimental rock, garage rock
    Occupation(s) Singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, writer, actor, composer
    Instruments Vocals, piano, organ, harmonica, guitar, percussion, saxophone, drums
    Years active 1973–present
    Labels Bad Seed, Mute, 4AD
    Associated acts Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Birthday Party, Shilpa Ray, PJ Harvey, Grinderman, The Boys Next Door, The Immaculate Consumptive, Shane MacGowan, Kylie Minogue, Blixa Bargeld
    Website nickcave.com
    Nicholas Edward Cave AO (born 22 September 1957) is an Australian musician, singer-songwriter, author, screenwriter, composer and occasional film actor, best known as the frontman of the rock band Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Cave's music is generally characterised by emotional intensity, a wide variety of influences, and lyrical obsessions with death, religion, love and violence.[3]

Born and raised in rural Victoria, Cave studied art before turning to music in the 1970s. As frontman of the Boys Next Door (later renamed the Birthday Party), he became a central figure in Melbourne's burgeoning post-punk scene. The band relocated to London in 1980, but, disillusioned by life there, evolved towards a darker, more challenging sound, and acquired a reputation as "the most violent live band in the world".[4] The Birthday Party is regarded as a major influence on gothic rock, and Cave, with his shock of black hair and pale, emaciated look, was described in the media as a poster boy for the genre.

After the break-up of the Birthday Party in 1983, Cave formed Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Much of the band's early material was set in a mythic American Deep South, drawing on spirituals and Delta blues, while Cave's preoccupation with Old Testament notions of good versus evil culminated in what has been called his signature song, "The Mercy Seat" (1988). The 1996 album Murder Ballads features "Where the Wild Roses Grow", a duet with Kylie Minogue, Cave's most commercially successful single to date. The band has released 16 studio albums, the most recent being 2016's Skeleton Tree. Cave formed the garage rock group Grinderman in 2006, which has since released two albums.

Cave co-wrote, scored and starred in the 1988 Australian prison film Ghosts... of the Civil Dead (1988), directed by John Hillcoat. He also wrote the screenplay for Hillcoat's bushranger film The Proposition (2005), and composed the soundtrack with frequent collaborator Warren Ellis. The pair's film score credits include The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007), The Road (2009), Lawless (2012), and Hell or High Water (2016). Cave is the subject of several films, including the semi-fictional "day in the life" 20,000 Days on Earth (2014), and the documentary One More Time with Feeling (2016). Cave has also released two novels: And the Ass Saw the Angel (1989) and The Death of Bunny Munro (2009).

Cave's songs have been covered by a wide range of artists, including Johnny Cash, Metallica and Arctic Monkeys. He was inducted into the ARIA Hall of Fame in 2007

==============================================

COMPLETE THREAD INDEX HERE
    - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread
    - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

==============================================

Added two links above per OP request.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2018
  2. mark winstanley

The Birthday Party
    [​IMG]
    Photograph circa 1982, from left: Harvey, Cave, Calvert, Pew, Howard (cover image of John Peel Sessions CD, 2001)
    Background information
    Also known as
    The Boys Next Door
    Origin Melbourne, Australia
    Genres Post-punk, gothic rock, punk jazz, art punk, noise rock[1]
    Years active 1976–1983
    Labels Missing Link, 4AD, Shock
    Associated acts Tuff Monks, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Crime and the City Solution, These Immortal Souls, Honeymoon in Red
    Website www.thebirthdayparty.com.au
    Past members Nick Cave
    Mick Harvey
    Tracy Pew
    Phill Calvert
    Rowland S. Howard
    The Birthday Party (originally known as The Boys Next Door) were an Australian post-punk band, active from 1978 to 1983. Despite limited commercial success, The Birthday Party's influence has been far-reaching, and they have been called "one of the darkest and most challenging post-punk groups to emerge in the early '80s."[2] The group's "bleak and noisy soundscapes," which drew irreverently on blues, free jazz, and rockabilly, provided the setting for vocalist Nick Cave's disturbing tales of violence and perversion.[3][4][5] Their music has been described by critic Simon Reynolds as gothic, and their single "Release the Bats" was particularly influential on the emerging gothic scene.[4]

In 1980, The Birthday Party moved from Melbourne to London, where they were championed by broadcaster John Peel. Disillusioned by their stay in London, the band's sound and live shows became increasingly violent. They broke up soon after relocating to West Berlin in 1983. The creative core of The Birthday Party – singer and songwriter Nick Cave, multi-instrumentalist and songwriter Mick Harvey, and singer, songwriter and guitarist Rowland S. Howard – later went on to acclaimed careers.

Droogmeister, vonwegen and punkmusick like this.
  3. mark winstanley

Before they became the Birthday Party, the band was known as the Boys Next Door and released a fairly popular album called Door Door. The main outstanding song from the album was a song called Shivers.

Shivers - 1979

4. mark winstanley

The Birthday Party gained a cult following and produced some great and certainly very interesting music before dissolving after the Mutiny album in 1983

Zoo Music Girl 1981

5. mark winstanley

Nick The Stripper - 1981

6. mark winstanley

King Ink - 1981

7. mark winstanley

8. mark winstanley

Release the bats - 1982

Micke Lindahl and Droogmeister like this.
  9. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Interesting note about "Shivers" - was written by Rowland S. Howard, the Birthday Party guitarist. Here's an interesting clip and his (solo) take on the song. He also talks briefly about when and how he wrote the song.

10. mark winstanley

Deep In The Woods 1983

11. dividebytube

side note - don't want to take away from the Nick Cave discussion. Rowland S. Howard had - compared to Nick - a small post-Birthday Party career. I absolutely love his group These Immortal Souls. Too bad that drugs carried such a talented guitarist and musician away at too early of an age. And also limited his output.

vonwegen and mark winstanley like this.
  12. mark winstanley

So there is a quick look through some of the stuff that was out there before the Bad Seeds came into being. The Birthday Party/Boys Next Door are certainly worth looking at is you like any of the songs posted up there. They were definitely an interesting band and Cave and Harvey carried some of the feel over into the early Bad Seeds Albums. I am a big fan of the Prayers On Fire album.

crazy eights likes this.
  13. mark winstanley

I am not fully conversant in Rowland S Howard, I came back to The Birthday Party via the Bad Seeds. I like the Birthday Party, but am more of a Bad Seeds fan. Having said that I certainly do need to investigate These Immortal Souls as they haven't been on my radar as yet.

Gavinyl likes this.
  14. dividebytube

Yeah I first bought the 1st Immortal Souls album back in the 80s - and one of the few albums from that era that I still love to pieces.

But I recently - after only owing two Nick Cave albums - went bonkers over the man and now have most of his discography. Will jump in here 'n' there.

Good idea for a thread!

mark winstanley likes this.
  15. mark winstanley

From Her to Eternity
    [​IMG]
    Studio album by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    Released
    18 June 1984
    Recorded September - October 1983 and March 1984
    Studio The Garden and Trident Studios, London, England
    Genre Post-punk, experimental rock
    Length 43:32
    Label Mute
    Producer Flood, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds[1]
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds chronology
    From Her to Eternity
    (1984) The Firstborn Is Dead
    (1985)
    From Her to Eternity is the debut studio album by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, released on 18 June 1984 on Mute. Produced by Flood and the band itself, the album's title is a pun on the James Jones novel, From Here to Eternity, and its subsequent 1953 film adaptation.

After the breakup of Nick Cave's former band The Birthday Party, Cave formed a new project with former band member Mick Harvey. Cave and Harvey were joined by a semi-fluid group of bandmates, initially including Einstürzende Neubauten member Blixa Bargeld on guitar, Hugo Race on guitar, and former Magazine member Barry Adamson on guitar, bass, and piano. After some studio work, the band's premiere public performance was held on New Year's Eve, 1983 in Melbourne, under the name "Nick Cave - Man Or Myth?", followed by a tour.[2] The band then briefly called themselves "Nick Cave and the Cavemen" before adopting the "Bad Seeds" moniker, in reference to the final Birthday Party release, The Bad Seed EP.

The majority of the album was recorded at Trident Studios in London in March 1984. "Saint Huck", "Wings off Flies" and "A Box for Black Paul" were recorded at The Garden studio (owned by John Foxx) between September and October 1983. The band is also seen playing a live performance of the title track in the 1987 Wim Wenders film Wings of Desire. This version, recorded at Hansa Studio, Berlin in February 1987, is included on CD reissues of the album.

Cave later said, "Well, I guess we weren't kicking people in the teeth anymore. I mean, it just became different. I wanted it to be more lyrically orientated and getting Blixa Bargeld from Einstürzende Neubauten in the group made an incredible difference. He's a completely kind of atmospheric guitarist and incredibly economical and it gave me room to breathe."

From Her to Eternity has been well received by critics. Trouser Press wrote that while "the album relies less on shock effects than any the Birthday Party ever made, the explosive parts are that much more effective."[12] Chris Long of BBC Music described it as "imperfect, visceral, exciting and, ultimately, classic."

This album is not one to step into lightly if all you know is the Ship Song or Red Right Hand. This album is much more avant guarde in its structures and styles. The base of most songs is a macabre blues that relies on feel and lyrics rather than hooks and popular melodies. If you enjoy the style of the bands less commercial stuff this is a good place to have a look. Otherwise I would suggest moving slowly backward through the catalog.

16. mark winstanley

Avalanche
    Interestingly the band decided to open its debut album with an atmospheric and dynamic version of Leonard Cohen's Avalanche. It is a tortured and effective reading of the track that would probably leave some of his later day fans quite stunned at how different the band were in the years immediately after the Birthday Party.

Lyrics
    I stepped into an avalanche
    It covered up my soul
    When I am not this hunchback that you see
    I sleep beneath the golden hill
    You who wish to conquer pain
    You must learn to serve me well

You strike my side by accident
    As you go down to your goal
    This cripple here that you clothe and feed
    Is neither starved nor cold
    He does not ask for your company
    Not at the centre, the centre of the world

I who am on a pedestal
    You did not raise me there
    Your laws do not compel me now
    To kneel grotesque and bare
    For I myself am the pedestal
    For this ugly hump at which you stare

You who wish to conquer pain
    You must learn what makes me kind
    The crumbs of love that you offer me
    Are the crumbs I've left behind
    Your pain is no credential here
    It's just a shadow of my wound

I have begun to ask for you
    I who have no greed
    I have begun to long for you
    I who have no need
    You say you've gone away from me
    But I can feel you when you breathe

Do not dress in those rags for me
    I know you are not poor
    And do not love me quite so fiercely now
    When you know that you are not sure
    It is your turn, my beloved one
    It is your flesh that I wear

17. mark winstanley

Cabin Fever
    Very percussion heavy and again dynamic with guttural vocals from Cave. Lyrically this is one of Cave's nightmares effectively translated into a song. Probably not a party tune though ...

Lyrics
    The Captain's fore-arm like bunched-up rope
    with A-N-I-T-A wrigglin' free on a skull'n'dagger
    and a portrait of Christ, nailed to an anchor
    etched into his upper...

O o o' Cabin Fever!
    O o o' Cabin Fever!
    Slams his ****en tin-dish down
    Our Captain, takes time to crush
    Some Bloo-Bottles glowin in his gruel
    with a lump in his throat, and lumpy mush
    Thumbing a scrapbook stuck up with clag
    and a morbid lump of Love in his flags.
    Done is the Missing, now all that remain
    Is to sail forever, upon the stain
    Cabin Fever! O o o' Cabin Fever!

The captain's free-hand is a cleaver
    which he fashions his beard, n' he rations his jerkey!
    and carves his peg outa the finest mahagony!
    Or was it Ebony?

O o o' Cabin Fever!
    O o o' Cabin Fever!

Tallies up his loneliness, notch by notch
    For the sea offers nuthin to hold or touch
    Notch by notch, winter by winter
    Notch x notch, winter x winter

Now his leg is whittled, right down to a splinter
    O o Cabin Fever! O o o Cabin Fever!
    O the rollin sea still rollin on!
    She's everywhere! now that she's gone! Gone! Gone!
    O Cabin Fever! O Cabin Fever!

Welcome to his table, Beloved-Unconscious
    Raisin her host of hair from her crooks
    and strugglin to summony one of her looks!
    His arm now like coiled s-s-s-snakes
    Whips all the bottles that he's drunken,
    like crystal - skittles about the cabin,
    of a ship they'd been sailing
    Five years sunken...

O o o' Cabin Fever!
    O o o' Cabin Fever!

18. mark winstanley

Well Of Misery
    This song has more percussion leading the march. This song takes the form of a deranged call and response gospel type song. The style is like a grandson of the Doors My Wild Love.

Lyrics
    Along crags and sunless cracks I go
    Up rib of rock, down spine of stone
    I dare not slumber where the night winds whistle
    Lest her creeping-soul clutch this heart of thistle

O the same God that abandon'd her
    Has in turn abandon'd me
    And softenin' the turf with my tears
    I dug a Well of Misery

And, in that Well of Misery
    Hangs a bucket fulla Sorrow
    It swings slow an' achin' like a bell
    Its toll is dead and hollow

Down that well lies the long-lost dress
    of my lil floatin girl
    That muffles a tear that you let fall
    All down that Well of Misery

Put ya shoulder to the handle, if ya dare
    and hoist that bucket, hither
    Lord, crank'n'hoist'n'hoist'n'crank
    Till ya muscles waste'n'wither

O the same God that abandon'd her
    Has in turn abandon'd me
    Deep in the Desert of Despair
    I wait at the Well of Misery

19. mark winstanley

From Her To Eternity
    An absolute classic that most folks familiar with Cave will know. Again I'm struck by the percussive nature of the song, the piano, guitar and of course the percussion instruments are all work as percussion instruments in this song. There is a nice and effective piano motif repeated through the song and an excellent bass line worth listening for. The dynamics that the band were able to produce were incredibly effective and even later on when the band smoothed the edges on their style and introduced more and more melody to their music, that dynamic edge was always an important part of the bands sound and feel.

Lyrics
    Ah wanna tell ya 'bout a girl
    You know, she lives in Room 29
    Why that's the one right up top a mine
    Ah start to cry, ah start to cry-y
    O ah hear her walkin'
    Walkin' barefoot cross the floorboards
    All through this lonesome night
    And ah hear her crying too
    Hot tears come splashin' down
    Leakin' through the cracks
    Down upon my face, ah catch 'em in my mouth!
    Walk 'n' Cry, Walk 'n' Cry-y!
    From her to eternity
    From her to eternity
    From her to eternity
    Ah read her diary on her sheets
    Scrutinizin' ev'ry li'l piece of dirt.
    Tore out a page 'n' stufft it inside my shirt.
    Fled outta the window
    And shinning it down the vine
    Outta her nightmare and back into mine.
    Mine! O mine!
    From her to eternity
    From her to eternity
    From her to eternity
    Cry! Cry! Cry!
    She's wearin' them bloo-stockens, ah bet!
    And standin' like this with my ear to the ceiling
    Listen, ah know it must sound absurd
    But ah can hear the most melancholy sound
    Ah ever heard!
    Walk 'n' Cry! Kneel 'n' Cry-y!
    From her to eternity
    From her to eternity.

Stormrider77 and Longers like this.
  20. mark winstanley

That's probably a lot to take in, but I just wanted to get us underway. Rather than spend a week exploring the Birthday Party and their recordings, just a taste of what the Bad Seeds developed from.
    I hope you will add your comments and observations, especially if you have knowledge of the band. I just have the music and a couple of dvd's.
    Please stay with the thread album and song wise so we can produce a coherent documentation of who this band is.
    Cheers

CaptainFeedback1 and Gavinyl like this.
  21. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

Need more Birthday Party.

22. mark winstanley

cheers mate.
    back in the eighties Nick Cave would probably have been too much for me to digest. I was still very much a rock and roll only kind of guy. I first heard the Ship Song and bought, and very much enjoyed the Good Son. I slowly explored his catalog, and having been a fan of Zappa, Beefheart and Tom Waits and other more "out there" artists found it much easier to digest, than I would have at twelve or thirteen.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  23. mark winstanley

I may do a Birthday Party thread at some point, but I just posted some Birthday Party stuff To show where The Bad Seeds (specifically Harvey and Cave) came from.

24. mark winstanley

Saint Huck
    It isn't hard to see how Harvey and Cave moved into soundtrack albums down the track. There was always a cinematic feel and sound in their work and this song is no exception. Blixa Bargeld was definitely an important cog in the wheel and as the band progressed his use of his guitar as a tool developed an awful lot.

Lyrics
    Born of the river,
    Born of its ever-changing,
    Never-changing murky water
    Oh riverboat just rollin' along
    Through the great great greasy city
    Huck standing like a Saint, upon its deck
    If ya wanna catch a Saint,
    then bait ya hook, let's take a walk...

'O come to me!, O come to me!' is what the dirty city
    say to Huck... HUCK

woah-woah, woah woah!
    woah-woah, woah woah!
    Saint Huck! Huck!

Straight in the arms of the city goes Huck,
    down the beckonin' streets of op-po-tunity
    whistling his favorite river-song...
    And a bad-blind n****r at the piano
    Buts a sinister blooo lilt into that sing-a-long
    Huck senses somthing's wrong!

Sirens wail in the city,
    and lil-Ulysses turn to putty
    and Ol Man River's got a bone to pick!
    and our boy's hardly got a bone to suck!
    He go, woah-woah, woah woah!
    woah-woah, woah woah!
    Saint Huck! Huck!

The mo-o-o-on, its huge cycloptic eye
    watches the city streets contract
    twist and cripple and crack.
    Saint Huck goes on a dog's-leg now
    Saint Huck goes on a dog's-leg now

You know the story!
    Ya wake up one morning and you find you're a thug
    blowing smoke rings in some dive
    Ya fingers hot and itchin, ya cracking ya knuckles
    Ya bull neck bristling...
    Still Huck he ventures on whistling,
    and Death reckons Huckleberry's time is up,
    O woah woah woah!
    Saint Huck!
    O woah woah woah!
    Saint Huck! Huck!

Yonder go Huck, minus pocket-watch an' wallet gone
    Skin shrink-wraps his skeleton
    No wonder he gets thinner,
    What with his cold'n'skinny dinners!
    Saint Huck-a-Saint Elvis, Saint Huck-a-Saint Elvis
    O you recall the song ya used to sing-a-long
    Shifting the river-trade on that ol' steamer
    Life is but a dream!

But ya traded in the Mighty ol' man River
    for the Dirty ol' Man Latrine!
    The brothel shift
    The hustle'n'the bustle and the green-backs rustle
    And all the sexy-cash
    And the randy-cars
    And the two dollar ****s
    O o o ya outa luck, ya outa luck
    Woah-woah-woah-woah
    Saint Huck! Huck!

This is the track of deception
    leads to the heart of despair
    Huck whistles like he just don't care
    but in the pocket of the jacket is a chamber
    Lead pellets sleeps in there
    Wake Up!

Now Huck whistles and he kneels
    and he lays down there
    See ya huck, good luck
    A smoke ring hovers above his head
    And the rats and the dogs and the men all come
    and put a bullet through his eye
    and the drip and the drip and the drip of the Mississippi cryin'
    And Saint Huck hears his own Mississippi just rollin' by him
    Woah-woah-woah-woah
    Woah-woah-woah-woah
    Saint Huck! Saint Huck! Saint Huck!
    Woah-woah-woah-woah
    Woah-woah-woah-woah
    Saint Huck! Saint Huck! Saint Huck!
    Woah-woah-woah-woah

25. mark winstanley

Wings Of Flies
    Another heavy on the percussion variation on a blues theme.

Lyrics
    She loves me, she loves me not
    We-e-ll, ah've spent seven days and seven nights
    tryin to get sunk in this brine
    Don't turn on ya water-works
    'cause ah got me a pair of water-wings, right?!

Insects suicide against the window,
    and my heart goes out to those lil flies
    There's a buzzin in my ear
    but it's more of her black-mail, ham shakespeare + lies
    Wings off Flies, She loves me, she loves me not.
    O o o o oh she loves me not!!

Lord, Ah've discovered the recipe of Heaven
    ya git solitude and ya mix with sanctuary and silence,
    then bake it!
    Listen, I plead guilty to misanthropy
    so hang me! Ah'd appreciate it!!
    Witness her gate-crash my tiny hell
    with some obscene tête-à-tête,
    If ya wanna talk to me about Love'n'Pain
    consult my ulcer, it'd be happy to co-operate
    Wings off Flies, she loves me, loves me not
    Uh hey, Joe! Another outa do the job.

Time to drown our lil fire, ya can keep the ashes,
    Now bye bye, bye, bye, see ya in a pigs eye!
    Ah will be one, in need of no-one
    In this, my deepest dive...
    Fill'er up, Joe...

Hey! Ah am obliged! Ah am olbiged!
    Wings off Flies, She loves me, she loves me not
    Wings off Flies etc... ad infinitum

Welcome the solitary flyer ya
    see it land on the rim of my glass
    it's going around and around and around
    look I just don't have the heart to hurt a fly
    I grabbed it in my paw
    snatched it up
    and then I held it to my ear could hear it scream
    could hear it scream and scream and scream
    till it screamed not...
    Hey Joe, ya know anything about this scream?