POLL:The Beatles ‎– Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - which LP do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Jun 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I that case, the 1967 stereo panning (which I love) was deliberate and Giles Martin had no business "correcting" it or anything else.

2. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

No, he did have a good reason. The original mono version was the Beatles preferred mix. That's the one they spent their time doing. That's the truest to the Beatles' vision for the album. So Giles was trying to get that feel within the new stereo remix. Tough job, but I think he succeeded.

bherbert likes this.
  3. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I liked the remix. The Beatles sounded like a rock band on it. There were a couple places where I thought the drums were too loud and spoiled the sonic picture.

4. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Original stereo, but they are each good in their way.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

If they were not interested in stereo (pushing boundaries) why then do you think they’d in any way be interested in 5.1?

:D

Puzzled of Dunmurry.

6. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Old wounds reopened in this thread! The new remix is a big fail. The original mono mix is easily the best but the original stereo has some great psychedelic panning.

7. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

YIKES! Do not agree. :shake:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  8. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

If this thread is about the LPs and not the mixes, why are the 2014 and 1967 mono LPs lumped together? And what about the 2009 stereo LP?

That said, I prefer the 2014 mono LP from the box set.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  9. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

1967 Mono
    No poll option?
    Tsk tsk.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  11. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Can I vote for all three? :D

I've long confessed (well, since last June) that if forced to pick only one, I now prefer the 2017 remix, followed by the original mono/2014 mono, then the original stereo. But it's not like the greatness of this landmark isn't gleamingly apparent in all of the mixes. Just how bad would any of these four versions have to be to actually "ruin" the album or make it somehow unlistenable?

I'll happily take a copy of each! Then maybe edit pieces of all four together a la Brian Wilson's SMiLE. :uhhuh:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  12. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

You make a good point. It is puzzling in a way. It also brings up a potentially very long conversation that I don't think I can fully crack right now. Short answer goes along the lines of mono still being the order of the day in '67 and so from an audience reaching point of view, mono was still where the biggest audience was. Therefore they went where they could most successfully reach the largest audience. Of course, that logic changed shortly thereafter, but at that point in time, that's where the cards fell.

culabula likes this.
  13. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Stereo, preferably on my recently acquired 1976 -2/-2 pressing (I was actually after a -2/-3 HTM pressing but the seller sent the wrong one. Sounds fabulous though!). Can’t get along at all with the new remix and have never understood the fuss about the Mono (I’ve both the CD and vinyl of the Mono FWIW). There’s so much going on with Sgt Pepper - restricting the musical image is the last thing you want to do!

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Ahhh pepper 1967 mono was designed with the phonograph players in mind. Those old console tv stereo systems our folks had.

It's kind of like reviving a dinosaur, not the fab music but the sound technology of 1966--1967 in 2017. Criticisms against Giles work are warranted to some extent but I would imagine remixing Pepper 1967 to sound like a 2017 release had to be an arduous task. Of course the finished product gets the positive and negative opinions.

15. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

This is what I was getting at. You said it better. lol :agree:

16. Psychedelic Good Trip

I'm sure there are many on Hoffman that could say it much better, but hey thanks!!

:edthumbs:

17. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Yes, the more the merrier :agree:

18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

the 5.1 mix is now my go to

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

There was much more time and care put into the '67 stereo mix than people were originally led to believe. That said, I don't believe that the mono version is necessarily the "truest" vision. The most outstanding proof is in the splice-correction made going from GM GM into the reprise. There is also the extra care involved in the in/out of the audience during the reprise. Lucy sounds completely different, texturally..not better or worse...just different. This mix was by no means a toss-off.

20. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Really, you don't think the mono was truest to what the Beatles originally had in mind? That doesn't seem to jive with all the written history on the subject.

DK Pete likes this.
  21. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

A few things were executed better in the stereo, yes, but that doesn't mean it can be "true" to the Beatles vision as the mono is. The Beatles worked on the mono mix, they desingned that incredible tapestry of sound layers. The stereo misses many of their choices, even something so important as the tape speed in SLH.

Gila likes this.
  22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It may have been as they were doing it. My point is, there is enough evidence based on the differences and quality of the stereo version to prove that simply because it (the mono) was their original intent, that it was necessarily the best. I haven't looked them up recently but there are also latter day interviews with Geoff Emerick in which he stresses the care and time involved int creating the stereo mix. Just as an aside, listen to the awkwardness of the chicken turning into a guitar on the mono mix; would you actually prefer that to the stereo version if you were the artist?

23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm so used to the original stereo mix that I prefer the '67 mono mix these days. Glad I have one copy of the 2014 vinyl reissue.

24. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Oh dear, this is just going to be a fight about which is the mix the Beatles really wanted .... The Beatles wanted people to buy their album. Artistically if they didn't want a stereo mix, they wouldn't have done one. If they had, had seventies 48 track studios at the time, they wouldn't have even done a mono mix ......

25. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Yes, I always assumed a lot of care went into that original stereo mix (not some quick hatchet job by any means), but since the Beatles weren't present for it, you have to figure the mono was truly their baby. That said, I'm sure there are things about that stereo mix that they preferred after the fact. I've never actually read anything like that, but it makes sense that would be the case.

DK Pete likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.