What vintage receiver do you have/want?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Nov 23, 2014.

1. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

They sounded great when they were new. I sold a lot of them back in the 80s. Did you look inside before you dumped them? Sometimes its just a couple of bad caps and you're back in business.

2. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

That's a great looking Mac receiver. Makes my 1700 look very plain. Still love her though.

3. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Just picked up one of these today. TOTL SANYO JCX-2900K....Shocked at how much Clarity, Detail and Instrument separation this has. Up until now I had given LUXMAN (Ro70/1120 models) the King of the Hill status concerning those points....I think we have a new King. These things sell for DIRT CHEAP compared to Pioneer/Marantz/Sansui....even less than comparable Technics models. Last few 2900K that have sold on EBAY went in 350-375 range. I also picked up a KENWOOD SUPER ELEVEN yesterday (which normally sells for $1000) and this Sanyo just smokes it...and that particular Kenwood is no slouch either. Just goes to show you their are plenty of bargains out there that sound great that wont hurt your wallet too much. Might not be as Purty as some (although some Ice Blue LED's might improve it)....but Its a KEEPER!!

[​IMG]

Bruno Primas, zberk, BigGame and 2 others like this.
  4. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

That's a beauty. It's fun to find those sleepers and hidden gems.

Bruno Primas and Bobsblkwax like this.
  5. zberk

zberk Member

Recently grabbed a Rotel RX-403 for $85 and it is terrific. Lotta punch and warmth, and I don’t see these too often. Really enjoying it.

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Anyone here still searching for the quad decoder for a Sansui QRX-9001 quad receiver? It appears that a working part is almost impossible to find needed for repair ...

7. Billion$Baby

There is a place in Washington State that specializes in the 9001 Quad...have a whole website dedicated to restoring these (and selling them). Im sure they could help.

8. coopmv

A good friend of mine has a Sansui QRX-9001 in the shop for a few years now and the tech claims he cannot source the quad decoder to do the repair so my friend can again listen to the quad sound. For now, he can only listen to stereo on that quad receiver. It is doubtful this decoder is even available in the aftermarket since quad has been out of favor for almost 40 years ...

9. Billion$Baby

Vintage Stereo Restorations | Sansui Repair ~ QRX-9001 Repair ~ Specializing in QRX-9001, 9090, 9090db and the Sansui QRX line

10. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I'd take an Pioneer SX-1980!

Uglyversal and SirMarc like this.
  11. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

When I saw the thread I was going to say that I wasn't expecting to have someone beating me!

That Pioneer is a wonderful looking beast. I also take a Marantz 2285. I have plenty of other vintage stuff I like so I'll just look at photos of those.

12. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I started on the vintage receiver trip almost twenty years ago with a Yamaha CR620 (35 wpc) given to me by my older brother.It was eventually sold in my fanatical search to obtain TOTL units.Today all my 70s monster receivers are gone along with fifteen others and I developed an itch to get that Yamaha once again.Reason? The 620 is certainly no powerhouse and my initial thoughts were it was thin and weak.Then one night doing some late night listening using the variable loudness I came to appreciate Yamaha Natural Sound.It came across as clean and neutral.Thanks to eBay ten years later I picked up a nice example.Sorry can't post pics here.

13. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

[​IMG] This one. I would like to make an observation of this and these old receivers.. when the lights go down it’s important to note how the designers wanted to make these receivers blend in to the household evening environment. It’s just beautiful to see the soft golden glow of these things. Lost today

14. coopmv

Most of today's average priced components are generally ugly anyway ...

Manimal likes this.
  15. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

Well, if you should happen to find one, you might want to invest in a Hernia Belt, too. Those things are real back-breakers, but few things sound better.

Wngnt90 likes this.
  16. crazy eights

crazy eights Truckstop Lovechild

i may take a chance on a used luxman R115 this week on a whim

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Always wanted an MCS 3125 for some odd reason.

Never seen one or heard one in person.

EddieMann likes this.
  18. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I HAVE seen and heard one. The problem was I couldn't get a good read on the sound quality as the owner had it paired with a bunch of Fisher speakers I wouldn't buy in a garage sale.

19. coopmv

Apology for being poorly informed but I have not owned any receivers in over 30 years. What is MCS 3125? Is it a Mac receiver?

20. Billion$Baby

MCS is the JC Penney store line. Should remember that from 30 years ago!! LOL

21. coopmv

Back in the day, I only focused on name brand receivers like Sansui, Pioneer and Marantz and did not have much interests in any department store brands ...

22. Billion$Baby

Don't have to own something...or be interested in something...to know something else exists, right? Didn't Mom and Dad give you those JC Penney, Sears and Radio Shack Christmas Catalogs? LOL

23. coopmv

In the greater NY area, Sears and Penney have never been all that popular and I only went for the tools at the Shack stores ...

24. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

[​IMG]

My Sony STR-7055. Highly underrated, IMO.

MisterNines, jwhvt, arem and 3 others like this.
  25. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Listening to mine right now on a local FM station thru Large Advent bullnose speakers. Going to listen to a few LP's on JVC-QL-Y5F turntable in a few minutes. 70's all the way baby :cool:

also in various rooms and garage ...

Marantz 2252,2235b,1060
    HK-330c
    Sansui-7070...needs check up

I'd like to try all kinds of other vintage receivers but tops on my list right now is a Marantz 2230.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018