Amazon just raised shipping rates

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Scottb, Jun 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

IMO Amazon Prime is a bargain, I order most things from them rather than running to stores. I find their video selection outstanding.
    I order most new vinyl from them and everything arrives perfect and if there is a problem they accept it back without question. They became the biggest because of their service.

Mazzy likes this.
  2. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

monopolies, folks

snowman872 and Dave like this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Amazon already has Amazon Logistics. And in my experience, it's the worst shipping company by an order of magnitude. I'd say that about 80% of the shipments that I receive through Amazon Logistics are late...

(And looking at places like Reddit, my experience is typical).

4. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Haha I was ready to applaud you after the first paragraph, then I LOLed. That’s like saying you no longer use Monsanto pesticides, but are now dabbling with DDT.

5. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

You can ship to store if you don't mind waiting. it usually will take a week or more. I don't deal with Target much so I'm not sure how their shipping is. During the holidays they will have free shipping on everything so I sometimes will buy something then. Amazon Prime also has streaming video service with a lot of good stuff. Not quite up to par with Netflix, but right under that.

6. Amazon has issues but Walmart is on my never ever ever never list. A personal choice.

7. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I don't pay shipping and I'm not on prime. Just save up enough items to get free shipping.

Scottb likes this.
  8. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

it is? yikes, those sellers never get a break.

9. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

Did you really just say it feels great to free yourself from the Amazon "monster" and then proceed to say you buy stuff at Walmart? lol...whatever man.

Anyway, is this a surprise? Why wouldn't you sign up for Prime if you shop at Amazon? I have a hard time believing that anyone who buys things online doesn't buy enough stuff in a year to PLENTY make up the annual fee costs that you would pay in shipping elsewhere. Not to mention how fast Amazon gets it to you, and oh by the way all the other stuff you get with Prime. And yes the other multiple people who've said you get free shipping if you spend $25+.

10. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I hate the perks. I'm in Prime strickly for what it was in the beginning, the free two-day shipping. And they're ruined that with their add-on item feature.

Scottb likes this.
  11. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I order most of my stuff from importcds, or specialty retailers like Wayside Music.

12. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Ha, saw one of those guys across the street today. Plain white van with the USDOT number literally written in sharpie on the fender. I wonder if this could become an issue. :laugh:

Mazzy likes this.
  13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Cool, I didn’t know they have stuff like food and camera lenses. I’ll check them out.

14. $4.99 would only mean Amazon is getting more, not the vendors, and it would probably hurt used sales

15. the pope ondine

not necessarily, when amazon raised shipping from 2.99 to 3.99 3rd party sellers got 3.99 for their shipping expenses

16. My understanding was Amazon increased their percentage/fee at the time of that increase.

the pope ondine likes this.
  17. helter

helter Forum Resident

:laugh:

18. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I was annoyed that I ordered a Nintendo Switch with free shipping and they sent it from Sacramento CA, apparently by Pony Express. Shipped on May 31 arrives in Florida June 7.

19. the pope ondine

haha! wouldn't surprise me

zphage likes this.
  20. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I have ordered from them before but this time they didn’t have what I was looking for.

Myke likes this.
  21. Ruined it by offering more features ? Hmmmmm

22. Pizza

Hmmmmmmm. Well, I was being polite. I don’t consider the add-on items a feature but more of a gotcha. I used to be able to jump on good prices for $5 CDs and DVDs when they popped up with Prime but now I need a minimum $25 order like the old days before paying $100 for prime but I still got to pay for prime.

23. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

How do you keep your orders under $25? “I’ll have The Best of the Bee Gees Volume II CD,” - “Anything else?” - “no, that’s the whole shopping list.”

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Because sometimes we only want what we want. One BD, two CDs, and that might be it. My wish lists are all cleared again. When you're done, you're done.
    Can only watch or listen to one thing at a time anyway. Then you have to go outdoors.

Pizza likes this.
  25. Pizza

I’m not sure I understand your question. Up until this past year or so, you got 2 day free shipping on any size order with Prime. So for example, if a CD I want drops from $10 to $5 I would nab it. Now if something drops to $5 I need to add another $2o of stuff to get the free 2 day shipping and there may not be anything else I want at the moment. If I wait for a few more things I may want, the initial item could have gone up in price or is sold out. That’s why I got Prime.

Amazon has been tweaking the rules of what Prime is for awhile now. For some folks it’s a better deal now. For others like myself, it’s losing its appeal. Amazon is ratcheting up the pressure to be a Prime member by raising shipping costs, raising minimum orders for free shipping to $50, having items that only Prime members can order etc instead of the free shipping on any item.

With CDs and videos slowly vanishing it won’t matter much to me soon anyway. But I understand that many still love it as it is.

trumpet sounds likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.