OMG! I Have So Many Tubes.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by etzeppy, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Through an odd turn of events, I just took possession of 18 boxes of random NOS tubes. These are from a shop that started in South Texas in the late 40's. The tubes have been in storage since the early 80's. The tubes were stocked for consumer electronics (TV's, radios, etc.), two-way radios (HAM, CB's, public safety), and even some broadcast transmitters. Here is a quick picture of the boxes that didn't fit in my vehicle.

[​IMG]

Here are contents of just a few boxes:

[​IMG]

I took these sight unseen hoping to find a few jewels for guitar amplifiers. I was expecting 4 boxes but it turned into way more. Needless to say, I am completely overwhelmed here. I have no idea how many tubes I have. It has to be thousands, maybe 10 thousand or more. I suspect that a vast majority of these are of little use for anything other than vintage two-way radios. HAMs must have used a lot of tubes....

I am starting to group by box size, while searching through a short list of desirable numbers for guitar applications. That seems like as good of a plan as any. What else should I be looking for? There might be some decent audio tubes mixed in, that are of interest to forum members. Post some suggestions and I will add them to my short list. Any other advice on my new hobby?

There were also two boxes of large Mallory capacitors (in addition to the other 18). I have not researched what those are for and if they have any value.

[​IMG]

Wish me luck. I need it!

tmtomh, RDriftwood, stetsonic and 6 others like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

90 % will be trashworthy, but you might find some gems in there. Search carefully.

3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

OH MY! good score!

4. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Im looking for some 7591 power tubes if you find any :)

SandAndGlass and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. etzeppy

I'll add it to the list. What size package is it?

6. I'm looking for a pair of General Electric 7025, please, if you find some, would you sell me a pair? But don't be too hard on my wallet, I'm just a Spanish crippled, I meant disable person with a too low pension that I'm ashamed to admit here (lower than you might even think, more than low, ridiculous).

timind and etzeppy like this.
  7. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

cool thanks...looking for a quad for my old 1961 Pilot amp. They are power tubes so would be larger, I can get the exact size if you need?

8. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Many NOS tubes are leftover from TV circuitry and don't have the demand like those audio tubes that everyone covets. I am sure there are some who may just be looking for that oddball tube for some radio or something that is being restored, but you will have to do your homework towards finding a home for some of those.

etzeppy likes this.
  9. etzeppy

I know you're right. I have found a handful of 12AX7's so far, but not a whole lot else. I am hoping to score a few 6V6's but that is starting look doubtful.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  10. etzeppy

I looked it up. Just curious as to which pile it might be in when I'm sorting by general size. These boxes are not organized at all.

11. etzeppy

Here is my current search list. Please add anything worth looking for:

12AD7
    12AT7
    12AU7
    12AV7
    12AX7
    12AY7
    12B4
    12BH7
    12BH7
    5AR4
    B339
    B759
    CV4004
    CV492
    CV8156
    CV8222
    E180CC
    E182CC
    E2164
    ECC40
    ECC803
    ECC81
    ECC82
    ECC83
    ECC84
    ECC85
    ECC86
    GZ34
    GZ37
    M8137
    U54
    U77
    6L6
    6V6
    6BQ5
    6CA7
    6L6
    6V6
    CV1947
    CV509
    CV511
    EL34
    EL37
    EL84
    KT66
    KT77
    VT-107A

TarnishedEars likes this.
  12. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

I'd be interested in 7591s for an Fisher unit and 6BK11s as backups for an Ampeg guitar amp. Thanks.

13. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I bought about 5000 NOS tubes for $35. Seller refused more money, stated just get the tubes out of his garage. Quite a few NOS audio tubes were in the lot.
    I also found a lot of about 1000 NOS audio tubes from a stereo shop. Most were European tubes. Sold a pair of original Golden Lion 12AT7s at $250 for starters.

tmtomh and BeauZooka like this.
  14. John

John Senior Member

Well that's a horrible problem to have! Best of luck to you, and happy sorting.

15. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

Wholly moly! Gotta tube tester?

ls35a likes this.
  16. etzeppy

Wish I did. I have a friend that used to be in the TV repair business; he tells me he still has one that I can borrow for while.

17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Here's a list of interesting ones I'd like to know if you run across.

6SN7
    6SL7
    300B

Dennis0675 and etzeppy like this.
  18. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

Looks like a MAJOR project sorting through those boxes! I hope you find some hidden gems that compensate you for your effort. Good luck!

19. harby

harby Forum Resident

The capacitors are iffy if you'd want to use them, being that old (but they'd probably last longer than today's). Useful cans for tube amp power filtering will be rated 400V-500V, and have single or multiple values from 10uF-40uF.

What you likely have lots of is radio tuner tubes, like detectors, and i-f and a-f hexode stages in the heterodyne tuner. Little use in audio amplification. Might be good to dump on a few old timers that fix collectible AM radios.

Alphabetize them, that way you can see how many of each type you have, and can find them later when reboxed.

I'm only short a few 12AX7s, I found one that the getter turned white from a magical crack in the glass, but those are relatively common.

There's just a small list of tubes that are really used in modern guitar amps, 12A#7; EL34, KT88, 6L6, or 6V6 amps, or 5U4 or 5Y3 rectifiers. There are a few rare ones for classic amps, like original 7025, or the 6C10 "compactron" tubes used in Fender Super Champs, that are desirable and needed by many. Others like 300B go for a premium because Conrad-Johnsons eat them up.

etzeppy likes this.
  20. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Ah, 6V6... The Marshall Studio 15 tube.:drool: Good luck. :agree:

21. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

Yes we ham radio geeks use a lot of tubes in our radios and amps. My Kenwood radio (tube driver and finals)puts out 100 watts on its own. I use it to drive my amp (also tube) it puts out legal limit of 1500 watts PEP. Like in the audiophile world tubes are better and can take a bit more abuse.

22. etzeppy

Do let me know if there are specific tubes you're interested in. I will no doubt have many that useless for audio applications.

bluesaddict likes this.
  23. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Great list! It's nearly comprehensive tube numbers for audio use.

A few that I would definitely add to this list though:
    300B
    2A3
    6FQ7
    6CG7
    6SN7
    6SL7

etzeppy likes this.
  24. timind

timind phorum rezident

Don't forget to check a good substitution listing. You never know.

25. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Holy GE, Batman!! Thats alotta tubes!!

Etzeppy:

You need to buy a restored Tube Tester, and learn how to use it to really know what you have!

Also, heres an idea for you.....log onto the Antique Radio Forum and post the same message you posted here. Those guys restore lots of antique Radios and Televisions and probably will need some of the tubes you have. A good way to lay off some of your giant lot.

tmtomh, SandAndGlass and etzeppy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.