Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Those sets covered the same time period as Brandeis and some of the same songs. That's much more of a connection than a narrow BOTT 1974 set paired with a 1962 concert.

2. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

1. Climbed up on the bell tower to gaze around at the terrain.
    2. I couldn’t find you anywhere, you were gone like a northern train.

[​IMG]

3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Thanks!

Gotta say, an undocumented recording of one (or more!) of the stray Red Notebook songs is among my personal Dylan “holy grails” (second only to “I’m Cold” songs— which I realize almost certainly weren’t recorded). Don’t think its likely to emerge, but until there is Bootleg Series devoted to Blood on the Tracks, I won’t completely give up hope (there is that tantalizing unidentified song fragment in the studio log after all).

At the very least, I’m hoping for extensive Red Notebook reproductions in the photo book. The Cutting Edge and Trouble No More books included some fun manuscripts, but not enough for my liking.

4. wanderer1

wanderer1 Forum Resident

The only Bootleg Series so far that covers only one year of studio material is #11, The Basement Tapes, coming entirely from 1967. Every other bootleg series of studio material covers multiple years and albums. Record companies like to sell us the same stuff multiple times, and leave us wanting more. For example, the Shot of Love outtakes.

5. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Not a bad configuration. The problem I still see with marrying BOTT with RTR is that they are both sort of huge "gravitational forces" in the Dylan canon, and putting them together, they may detract focus from each other (if I am making sense). That said, I also see the risk of BOTT alone being too "samey". Either way, I will be happy with whatever we get.

6. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

not only that but they warrant two lost moneymaking opportunities as they both can be easily commodified separately in expensive packaging.

asdf35 likes this.
  7. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

8. Percy Song

You're right, of course! Which leads me to hope that there won't be a so-called giveaway of "Dylan at the Gaslight", and that it gets its own regular release. Mind you, BS Vol. 14 could turn out to be "The Coffeehouse Tapes" in which case "Dylan at the Gaslight" fits like a glove... ;)

shadow blaster and Sean Murdock like this.
  9. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I am hoping that the Gaslight release as well as the Japan copyright compilation are indications that they will do a 1961 - 65 Live Recordings boxset as a follow up to the 1966 set.

shadow blaster likes this.
  10. Percy Song

Off the top of my head - four.

slane likes this.
  11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Assuming there is a 6 CD or so box, there has to be some enticement to purchase it through bd.com at full price vs. a discount from virtually every other seller. So even if there is no connection at all between the two releases (other than the artist), I could still see this happening. What's the alternative marketing strategy? "Buy from bobdylan.com, We charge more!"

12. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Sorry I should search this thread but has it actually been officially confirmed that a BOTT bootleg series is being prepared or is this still just speculation ?

13. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

First rule of Bootleg Series Thread: Don't ask nothing about nothing.

No official announcement as yet, no.

14. scottc

scottc Forum Resident

Percy Song likes this.
  15. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

The last exclusive (San Diego) was the first worthwhile one in awhile and it’s not a given they do it for every release. The fact rumors suggest Gaslight will be vinyl (ISIS) and it has no relation to BOTT I still don’t see it.

16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

What was that?

17. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

That’s true enough but San Diego could be the beginning of a trend, especially if it worked out well for them financially.

18. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

For a lot of people the execution of this proved to be a nightmare. Not the product you understand, but the distribution. If it is the start of a new trend then a rethink of how it operates is required. The fiasco is well documented so I won't open up old wounds but please just let those who want the complete set have it without pain. The last release left a bad taste in many people's mouths and it really should have been a major joy.

Mr. H likes this.
  19. rogermcnally

rogermcnally Forum Resident

I'm not sure how well the San Diego ploy worked given that it is still available.

Bob Dylan Official Music Store | Bob Dylan UK

Maybe The Gaslight could be Vol One of a Coffee House series to run independent of the main bootleg series?

timnor likes this.
  20. Percy Song

Yes, indeed, bring it on! There is a little used "Performance Series" banner ("The Other Side of the Mirror" DVD; the "Brandeis" CD). It would be a perfect vehicle for (possibly mid-price) individual lower-fi live releases. Tempus figit for some of us old fogies who still like to handle physical product.

21. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

I just hope that there is a release. Just one. No having to pay a premium on postage to Bob's site to get an interesting extra. Just one release.

markmck79 likes this.
  22. Percy Song

[​IMG]

RayS and slane like this.
  23. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Charge more? I'm in!

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

FROM A WEB REPORT ON DYLAN'S ARCHIVES

Chaiken has only begun to dip into the hundreds of hours of raw Dylan recording sessions, but he's already come across a completely different version of 1997's Time Out of Mind, produced by the late Jim Dickinson, who had long denied it existed. Chaiken also has heard the complete John Wesley Harding sessions. "It's such a mysterious record. I heard a couple of alternate takes of 'All Along The Watchtower' that were, to me as a fan, just incredible. The collection is going to continue to grow," says Chaiken. "As Bob continues to tour, there's going to be more stuff that's added."

25. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

:drool:

tstrapac likes this.