Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Bill?

2. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

It exists but may not be acknowledged by MPL. Keep in mind that neither EMI nor Apple ever seemed to acknowledge that the single for "Help!" had a different vocal take — even though it was included for that very reason on the Capitol edition of Rarities!

The two songs dropped from Australia to America in favour of the new material were "Junior's Farm," which was exclusive to that tour, and the medley of "Little Woman Love/C Moon" which had been played since 1972.

Some were rehearsals from 1989 & 1993, some were studio demos and outtakes. I don't know about films, but I do know that there are enough b-sides that could form the core of another disc, and Get Back used performances that didn't match the originals as much. It would definitely rival Wings Over America for size — though I think we'd all prefer a few releases between then (London Town and Back To The Egg, Broadstreet and Press To Play).

Personally, I'm more looking forward to a deluxe Paul Is Live: aside from the duplicate tracks on Tripping and Unplugged, there are performances of "Another Day," "Off The Ground" and "Fixing a Hole" every night, plus "Blackbird" and "Mother Nature's Son" were performed on Earth Day — and when you add in Up Close, there's performances of "I Owe It All To You," "Big Boys Bickering" and "Get Out Of My Way" too — plus "I Wanna Be Your Man" and a country acoustic version of "Can't Buy Me Love."

I doubt it will. I have a strong feeling the live material is taking a back seat right now — and rightfully so, for the original albums. Otherwise, we would have seen a Wings Over Europe and Wings' Last Flight release — especially when the latter escaped onto bootleg with great popularity!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  3. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Don't forget "Mull of Kintyre" was played in the great land of Can-a-duh!

theMess likes this.
  4. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Sheperd/Shears/Pepper

5. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

POP also reaaaaally missed the studio version of Blackpool, one of the biggest left-out in that collection

6. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Heck, reading this thread I am realising I have only heard a fraction of Paul's solo output! Get it Out There!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
    theMess and omikron like this.
  7. Brian from Canada

Is it a studio version? It could also be the Backyard version, since a clip of "Peggy Sue" shows up in The Paul McCartney Special. I don't think it's ever been confirmed.

8. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

And there must be so many recordings we never ever even read about

theMess and Oyster Boy like this.
  9. Brian from Canada

I won't forget — I was there! (Toronto 1993… where I was so mad to find out you got 2 free tickets for purchasing Off The Ground at HMV down the street that day because sales were so low.)

I just didn't include it in my list of missing tracks because there is a live version from Glasgow on the CD-single for "All My Trials" that should be on Tripping the Live Fantastic's deluxe edition.

10. Don’t do that! The Paul McCartney Collection mastering sounds like crap—NoNoise and weird EQ. The “black face” CD mastering in the box set sounds really good.

11. Brian from Canada

Supposedly, a box of tapes from the Ram sessions were found around the time the unreleased Wings Anthology was compiled.
    I think it was Dhani Harrison who noted that Paul said they shouldn't just release it all at once but keep it going as long as they could — if so, Paul's grandchildren may see the last of vault out there. :sigh:

theMess likes this.
  12. Brian from Canada

It's subjective. I have the original, the 1993 remaster, and the super deluxe Archive, and I prefer the 1993 edition, followed very closely by the 1985 version, before I turn to the Archive. The Archive — to me — just sends too many instruments to the back.

13. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

Recorded in 1981.
    It was planned to be the b-side to the cancelled The Man single (which was eventually released in South America I think, but with Through Our Love as the B-Side)
    from "The Macca Recording Sessions" website:
    "It's described as being similar in feel to I'll Give You A Ring with an old-fashioned brass arrangement overdubbed by George Martin. An instrumental mix of The Man that was planned to be released on a 12" has been spotted a rare acetate recently."

theMess, Tord and Mr. Explorer like this.
  14. I’ve got you beat in terms of masterings :p and the Paul McCartney Collection remaster is by far the very worst sounding—really, every single Paul McCartney Collection remaster is the worst sounding mastering of each respective album.

Anyway, here’s what I have on CD—and the Black face Jpn for US disc and Columbia disc (both with the same mastering) are the best sounding, with the Black Triangle in close second:

1). Japan Black Triangle
    2). Columbia Jpn-for-US
    3). Black face Jpn-for-US Capitol
    4). Silver face US Capitol
    5). EU Paul McCartney Collection disc
    6). Archive Collection super deluxe disc

jricc and Mr. Explorer like this.
  15. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Intriguingly, YouTube has a studio performance of "Blackpool" from the Chaos era.

16. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Hey, I was there, too! Should'a waved.... :wave:

We got nice seats just a couple rows back from the stage.

theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Wow, you were definitely in a very small minority. For most of us, hearing iconic songs like “Hey Jude” and the Abbey Road medley that had never before been performed live was just amazing. I still remember the feeling - Was I really seeing Paul McCartney on stage holding a Hofner bass and playing Sgt. Pepper? It seemed almost surreal at the time.

18. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

[​IMG]

19. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Well, I'd say most of these are good suggestions. Although the Backyard footage would probably make more sense on Band On The Run, since it's all One Hand Clapping outtakes. Don't know that the live material would make sense on Speed Of Sound (but surely would have made a nice bonus on WOA). And all those "mixes" you mention for Venus And Mars are just edits (except My Carnival of course)

Studio version, just like I'll Give You A Ring where Paul was revisiting an older song for a good b-side.

theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  20. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

I couldn’t agree more. I thought I read that a preliminary listing of the contents contained Blackpool.

21. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

The 93 is the only CD version I have heard outside the box. Was just suggesting there was a cheaper way to get the original mix, although I must admit that I don't hear any difference between the two. Will give it another go.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  22. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

I'm glad you got to experience that. But it really drives home the point I was making about the current live shows being about "Beatle Paul" and not the solo Paul McCartney. Imagine if on the Wings Over America Tour Paul never played anything from Band On The Run or Venus And Mars. WTF right? That's how I felt seeing Paul during the Tripping The Lights Tour. All the albums I grew up listing to and feel in love with were ignored. I don't expect everyone to feel the way I do or have the same interest in Paul's music I do. Just sharing my viewpoint.

23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I see what you mean, but it's an unfair comparison. Band on the Run and Venus and Mars were #1 albums with #1 singles off them. He was a current artist still. There is no comparison to him not doing much off New in 2018. And in 1989, he did, what, 6 songs off Flowers? That's half the album. Not bad.

In the general public's eye, Beatles > solo McCartney. I mean, if you think about it... BEATLES. Is there a bigger band in music history? And one of the main songwriters performing the songs live?? It really can't be beat. I love solo McCartney A LOT, but there's no bigger band in the land than the Beatles. I would kill to see him perform at a smaller venue and only obscure solo songs, but I don't blame him one bit for making his shows heavily Beatles-centric.

theMess, Jayseph, MsMaclen and 4 others like this.
  24. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

And in 1989 he quit being a current artist to me by doing all the Beatles songs over his solo output. His 80's albums sold really well and were high on the charts too. Still plenty of hit singles in that era. No More Lonely Nights would have been about five years old in 1989. That's what I wanted to hear live in 1989. Not Fool On The Hill.

25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Unfortunately, he quit being a current artist to practically everyone around 1989, and not because of lack of '80s solo material in concert. We're superfans on this thread, so we want all the other hits, too, but over 90% of concert attendees don't give a crap.

theMess, Paul H and warewolf95 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.