Discogs asking for social security number

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Bill Mac, Jun 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've never sold items on Discogs and decided to setup an account. In the process they ask for a social security number and birth date. There's no way I'm giving them my social security number :rolleyes:! Is there a way around not listing the social security number?

Archguy likes this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No such request was made of me, before putting my collection in their database.

EDIT : "Requirements vary based on whether or not the Seller is an individual or company. All Sellers are required to upload a social security number as part of the signup process."

Discogs Payments Policy

Things change.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Just enter a random number. :angel:

Shrdlu, showtaper, Dave and 1 other person like this.
  4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Would that work though? Isn't there an algorithm of some sort that can check if the numbers are valid?

I think Discogs has to collect that information as part of their legal requirements (Discogs Forum - Discogs payments see Staff post near the bottom)

I also think this relates to their Discogs payment program specifically which they are running for US sellers domestic transations. This program removes Paypal out of the loop. I think you can opt out of that program but I don't know for sure.

5. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Sounds like it's for tax reporting purposes, similar to Paypal's issuing a 1099 to high volume sellers.

6. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

I never gave PayPal my SSN and I've been with them for many years as seller and buyer.

The fewer times you give out your SSN, the better. It cannot be changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.