'The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra,' to be released on June 8!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yorick, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Mike Love is actively seeking fans like you who wholeheartedly buy into to his long ago worn out schtik . I'd say over half the people in the audience most likely did not really know who Mike or Bruce are and have a miniscule knowledge of the band, but that's really ok. Just sad that most of them think this incarnation is the genuine Beach Boys which, of course, they're not nor ever will they ever be.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  2. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

We know what you think of Mike Love. I used to be like you... before I saw him and the others live. Then I changed my point of view. I just suggest you to try :)

sandmountainslim1, 905 and starduster like this.
  3. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Buy into what exactly? That Mike and his team put on a damn good show? Either they can do it or not. And they can. No amount of shtick is going to get people out of their seats and join Mike in the festivities. Whether you like it or not Mike and his group brings it.

4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

No offense but this is so silly it's hilarious . :D

So, the people that go see the Beach Boys and love the show are somehow being manipulated against their will by that evil Svengali Mike Love? :laugh:

I think there is a pretty good chance that some people don't share your hatred of Mike Love and can actually enjoy the show, without your approval or criticism.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  5. oldsurferdude

That's ok, man. He needs all the "devoted" fans he can get nowadays as he has a piss poor legacy to carry around. His group may bring it for you and that's fine, but it does not nor will it ever be of any interest for me, especially a clown who makes a video of himself rubbing oil all over his body.:yikes::yikes::wtf::wtf:

6. oldsurferdude

Chill dude:chill:. It's still ok to post an opinion, isn't it?? The luHvster doesn't need you to come running to his rescue everytime someone posts something you don't approve of, huh? I've got it, Glenn. Go fire up your turntable, turn on the amp and listen to some Beatle songs and you'll be just fine.

7. Glenn Christense

I should chill ? That's cute. :D

My point is.. if you hate Mike Love that's your right.
    But to have to jump in and put him down if others dare to enjoy his work is just rude after awhile.

Believe me, we all get it. You hate Mike Love, but how about letting the others enjoy his work without constantly having to express YOUR opinion about him and his version of the Beach Boys if someone dares to mention they liked his show or whatever ?

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Please... can we have just one Beach Boys thread not dissolve into this? I'm enjoying discussing the album.

9. Glenn Christense

Yes, but I was trying to defend you (and others) for liking the concert . :D

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  10. It seems to me that Mike Love is of extreme interest to you. Hatred of Mike Love is apparently in control of your very soul. You need to free yourself of this demon so you can have a real life.

11. Daniel Plainview

I can't hear him any way, he's on the ignore list. I know what he's saying without even reading it at this point.

12. Glenn Christense

Oh, OK. :D

I'm out on that discussion.
    Back to discussing the album.

13. Timflyte

Timflyte Forum Resident

I've been listening to it with headphones on YouTube. I'm hoping to get it. I think some of the tracks are amazing . They won't replace the originals at all , but I do think I will enjoy this. To me it's much better than the country music stars a few years ago
    At least here it's their voices. Disney girls , intro to GV , and Kokomo's Bruce's harmony stand out nice to me.

14. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

Thank you for showing me this feature of the forum ! Back to the album now.

15. HarborRat

HarborRat Forum Resident

I like this album, a lot.
    And I think it redeems "Kokomo"! Taking it out of its 80's production context and putting it in a more ...naturalistic (would that be the right word? ) setting is a real improvement. Ya gotta admit, it does have a catchy chorus!

16. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Except for the sax solo.

17. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I feel that way about 98% of all surf songs.

rswitzer likes this.
  18. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I've only had time to listen to the album once, but I thought it was pretty good. Of course it won't replace the originals, but they aren't telling us to replace the originals. Some of the tracks are very interesting and tasteful.. some, like "God Only Knows" are kind of weird, with what sounds to be a totally new backing track instead of using the 1966 recording.

It's an oddity in my collection but as a Beach Boys fan I couldn't pass it up. I'm sure I'll spin it from time to time like I do everything else. I'd say it gets more thumbs up than thumbs down. It would have been nice to include a few deep cuts like "We're Together Again," "Time to Get Alone," or "Little Bird." "Forever" would be obvious to me if "Disney Girls" made the cut.. But I didn't find it this the atrocious cash grab that many people ran with as soon as it was announced. Of course I'd rather have more rarities sets, but that doesn't mean this has to lose a star.

A product of love met with some grand hostility.

19. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Just had another listen to this one, Bruce sounds great in the harmony doesn't he?
    I really like Bruce and what he brings to the table, and yes, I've never really noticed it before in Kokomo.
    I expected a travesty with 'Kokomo', but it's pretty darn good with the orchestra!
    I'll stand corrected with my expectations on this one.

adriatikfan likes this.
  20. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

You have kids?

21. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Not to get into audiophile stuff (I don’t know the jargon),

Listening to it hi res with DAC and good headphones blew me away.

At big grad party, everyone enjoyed it in its entirety.

Yet to hear just how beautiful the orchestration is, with fine detail, and to my ears, perfect understatement is something you’ll have to experience.

Even very inexpensive DACs can help.

22. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Let's say and agree for a moment that Mike does put on a "damn good show". Fine.

Why not call it the Mike Love Band? Why not advertise it as "Formerly of the Beach Boys, Mike Love"?

This is NOT the Beach Boys. I don't care how you package that tour. This will never be the Beach Boys. And I get that the notoriety of "Beach Boys" far exceeds "Mike Love", but he's just cashing in on a legacy that isn't completely his. I don't agree on any level with his use of the name "Beach Boys" and for that I will not go see his show. I also don't really agree with his politics OR the way he has handled himself with the others over the years, but that's not for this discussion.

And let's really get down to brass tacks about who the Beach Boys really were and are to many of us today: Brian Wilson's band.

23. Daniel Plainview

1. They voted to give Mike permission to use the name. He pays a percentage for the right.

2. They are all happy to keep the brand name alive.

3. Mike Love is the voice most people associate with "The Beach Boys" and their biggest hits.

4. Brian doesn't want to be called "The Beach Boys".

5. Having seen both shows several times over the years I can attest that Mike's show more closely resembles a Beach Boys show. Brian is not equipped to be the front man Mike Love is. That is, and has always been, a big part of The Beach Boys live show.

6. Both bands are very talented but in recent years Mike's show has surpassed Brian's, in my opinion. He's really stepped things up.

7. This horse has been beaten to death for the 20 years Carl has been gone. What does it matter? Should there not be a touring Beach Boys group out there in the world somewhere? Everybody know that Mike's show only features him and Bruce. If they don't know that they probably dont care in the first place and just want a good time, which Mike delivers every time.

In summary I'm really looking forward to getting this new album on vinyl.

24. Elson Quick

Elson Quick Well-Known Member

This kind of exercise never diminishes the original versions. There's no intention of disrespect or desecration involved - the original versions (in all their iterations) remain out there, untouched. Like the much-reviled "colorised" movies, they merely offer a different and new way of experiencing the original, not a replacement. If some new Beach Boys product on the shelves stirs up some interest in their work, that can only be a good thing. As to if it's done well, I have mixed feelings. Lush strings lend themselves more to ballads, and there's something incongruous about hearing them over a hopped-up surf beat, a little like hearing Lawrence Welk bleeding into a Beach Boys session from the next studio. A few tracks seems to work better than expected [YOUR CHOICE HERE], and a few sound like unsettling mash-ups. There's nothing remotely classical or upmarket about the charts (which maybe you'd hope for from the alcoholic hacks in the RPO), or even particularly creative. It could have been better, had the producers been braver with their choice of material and avoided the Greatest Hits, but that's not what this is for; it's commercial product, not an artistic statement. And in a few short months it will be at the back of the Beach Boys stack, and something of a forgotten curio. So keep a sealed copy, because it's exactly this kind of oddity that collectors will be slobbering over in a decade or so. If we live that long.

25. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

It’s weird for me to say that I think I like these more than the originals.

I don’t possess the vocabulary of music critics so I’m going to cool the accolades. It’s repetitive for readers.

I hope others get the enjoyment out of it that I do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.