TV shows that hung around a year too long

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DaleClark, Jun 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

"The 'A' Team". I did not like the final season after they were caught and went to work for Robert Vaughn.

2. Scooterpiety

More like 2 or 3, IMO.

Jazzmonkie, fr in sc and ohnothimagen like this.
  3. Gethan Wall

Gethan Wall Agent Provocateur

My apologies, yes it's Danish and not Swedish. I have only watched the first two of the Danish version and only season 1 Of The US version.

4. Scooterpiety

That's my all-time favorite Rockford episode as well. I love Simon Oakland as Vern St. Cloud. The "Sticks and Stones" episode from a few years earlier is a favorite too!

troggy likes this.
  5. Scooterpiety

"Perry Mason". I love the show, but everyone looked tired or bored during the last season or two.

Bern likes this.
  6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Try 8

Jazzmonkie, troggy, fr in sc and 2 others like this.
  7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Night Court

Complier likes this.
  8. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

The last season of the Office wasn't even the worst season. The one before, with Spader and Andy Bernard as boss, was worse. I gave up on that season. Season 9 had a few new characters, that helped.

Agreed on Bob Newhart Show. Newhart didn't really want to do another season. Four Bob-less episodes, and the whole show wore out all of a sudden.

How about the final season of Hogan's Heroes without Kinchole? Did Baker ever do anything?

MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  9. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Bonanza-I loved that series but after Dan Blocker died it was all but over.

fr in sc and Hot Ptah like this.
  10. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I'll take your word on it. That love triangle between Word/Troi/Riker was painful to watch.

11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

He took messages really well

FWIW, the last season has one of my favorite HH episodes: "Klink For The Defense", which actually has some Kafkaesque moments in the courtroom scene.

12. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Agreed.
    The characters went from being funny & idiosyncratic to annoying caricatures.
    The finale was downright hideous.
    Made you glad it was over.

This coming from a longtime Jerry Seinfeld stand up fan.
    Watched every episode from day one.
    It was the Anti-Friends series.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

That was like moments spread over 2-3 episodes.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  14. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

The scenes at the Goodhue awards were hilarious, thanks to largely to Oakland. The man just had a funny persona. I've always thought the first episode of the season:"Paradise Cove" was a standout too. Both were written by Stephen J Cannell, who wrote many of the best episodes. Overall it was a good enough season, which I am glad took place.

troggy likes this.
  15. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Actually he spent most of his career as a heavy, or at best an intimidating authority figure. "NGFD" gave him a very rare opportunity to play comedy.

16. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

He could effectively transition between types. He was funny in every Rockford episode he was in and also in the Kolchak: The Night Stalker series, largely just from his mannerisms.

17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Lost, that last season was dire!

18. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I haven't watched any Kolchak stuff in decades. As I recall he was a blustering boss, with the character written as not quite as overbearing as he usually played. He has some lighter moments in his other Rockfords, though he's still essentially the usual Oakland. What strikes me as different re "NGFD" is he was given outright comic moments: the Goodhue scenes, "Wasn't this guy a bandleader?"

I haven't checked his filmography so I'm not sure how much comedy SO did, I do recall he was in a very early Get Smart, although his own role was not really comic but the standard heavy for Adams to play off of.

19. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I wouldn't go that far, but there was a drop-off in quality. Still a bunch of great episodes in the last two seasons, but some hokey ones as well. And I did not like how Kramer became a bit too cartoon-ish at times ("The Blood" episode is a clear example).

OldSoul and MonkeyLizard like this.
  20. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Brady Bunch.

21. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

What about shows which got BETTER in their final season? The most obvious example is The Man From U.N.C.L.E. The first season was great, the second mostly very good and the third season was unwatchable as NBC wanted to try to copy Batman. The show went from spy drama with occasional lite touches to downright silly and ridiculous. The last season, the show reverted back to seriousness with very well done stories. However, it was too little too late as the audience had given up on the show.

Scooterpiety likes this.
  22. Scooterpiety

I agree that season 3 was pretty campy, but I still liked the show. I thought that some final season episodes may have been a bit too serious - almost as if they were trying too hard to be different from the previous season.

23. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I'm surprised The Boondocks hasn't been mentioned yet. The show was supposed to end after the 3rd season, and much of the episodes give that impression. The 4th season was made a whopping 4 years after the 3rd one wrapped up and creator Aaron Mcgruder wasn't involved. Needless to say, the show's magic just wasn't there and many viewers were seriously let-down, me included.

24. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

When this season is over - Fear the Walking Dead

25. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

NYPD Blue
    Modern Family

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.