'The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra,' to be released on June 8!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yorick, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G00dVibrations

G00dVibrations Forum Resident

Hey we made it 9 pages before the Mike Love hating started. That must be a new record...

2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

this looks pretty:
    [​IMG]

3. Rick Bartlett

a curiosity question. should David Marks have been included in the cover?

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  4. G00dVibrations

G00dVibrations Forum Resident

Probably not because he is only playing on one of the songs.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I really want this but cant justify paying double the Amazon price for the black vinyl.

6. Daniel Plainview

Nah.

:p

7. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Exactly why there’s nothing wrong with him touring as The Beach Boys. It’s not as if he went off and had a long successful solo career and came back and decided to tour as The Beach Boys. When Gene Clark and Michael Clarke was going around touring as the Byrds, both had been out of the band for about 20 years, the band itself defunct since the early 70s and Gene had a 20 year solo career at that point. Mike Love is just continuing on as he always had. He shouldn’t be faulted for that.

8. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Without a Wilson, and they did make up three fifths of the group, it's difficult to think of anyone, except Brian, realistically being qualified as The Beach Boys. One of the problems that exists is that Mike sincerely thinks that he is The Beach Boys and we all know he is not. While I may hate Love because of who he is and what he's done to the legacy, I would have no problem with Brian taking the group name as he did the heavy lifting as far as the songs go. Had Carl or Dennis survived, it would have been more accepted but Love, who wrote very little and not very well, along with his cheerleaders, palm trees, R&R HOF speech, wife beating, messy divorces, dressing like a pimp, and general put downs of Brian, does not seem to align with being the one to be the bearer of the group name, not to mention Stamos.

9. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Cousin Mike totally harshed Brian’s mellow after 50th Anniversay tour.

I think things will improve by the 75th anniversary tour and love will rule the day.

10. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

With an open mind, I tried a few samples on youtube.

It's actually not terrible. However, everything seemed a bit loud. God Only Knows is not a loud song.

11. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

I like the arrangement and interpretation of Here Today best.

12. Daniel Plainview

Me too. Best track on the album.

13. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Anyone else love it?

Or am I alone on this one?

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This is very sad.

The effects of a stroke have been evident for years in the video close ups and sound.

Listening to his vocals, Gordon Lightfoot, and the live Bob Dylan recordings remind us all of the ravages of age.[/QUOTE]

He has his good days and his bad days. I think this performance is from last year as well, and he sounds wonderful. I wonder if the vocal track has been sweetened - it almost sounds a little too good.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  15. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

He has his good days and his bad days. I think this performance is from last year as well, and he sounds wonderful. I wonder if the vocal track has been sweetened - it almost sounds a little too good.

[/QUOTE]
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with this performance. Wow.

16. Daniel Plainview

I don't want to get too carried away as I suspect I'll be less interested once the new-ness wears off, but I am very pleased with it. It's better than I thought it would be. And I am very fond of "Darlin", "Here Today", "You Still Believe In Me" and "Disney Girls". The only track I kinda dislike is "Wouldn't It Be Nice".

I'm actually looking forward to the vinyl now. Before I had pre-ordered it solely just to have it but now I think I might actually listen to it!

Can they issue the 50th anniversary tour live album on vinyl? Please? It's just so I can play "WHENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN..." on vinyl at full volume!

17. Rick Bartlett

[/QUOTE]
    He does sound wonderful, and you are correct, this is not the vocal for the performance.
    If it sounds too good to be true, well it is.
    The vocal is actually from Brian's 2002 Presents Pet Sounds Live album.

18. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Having spent some time listening to the album on YouTube, I'm a bit disappointed in it on the whole, but there are three tracks that are wonderful: Disney Girls, Sloop John B and Fun, Fun, Fun.

I find most of the tracks to be too busy. Brian's production is already perfect, so the orchestra feels like slathering catsup on a prime rib.

For me it works with Disney Girls because the strings augment this beautiful, dreamy piece.

It works for Sloop John B because I love trombones!!! Plus it's one of my favorite songs of all time, so I enjoy hearing it presented differently.

It works for Fun, Fun, Fun because the instrumentation was so minimal before that the flourishes are fun, fun, fun additions.

I'm happy I was able to download these three tracks and I'm sure I will enjoy them for some time to come!

19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

He sounded very good in Tokyo in 2016.

20. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

Oh, there's a new album?

21. Rick Bartlett

Yup, it's on Capitol, and has the remaining 'Beach Boys' tick of approval as well.
    It'll be a nice little top up for them financially.

22. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I deleted the download from the hard drive yesterday. Goodbye to a bizarre and more than a little irritating collection.

I spun some early 45s. Surfin' USA, Fun Fun Fun, I Get Around, Dance Dance Dance. Still sounding superb after more than 50 years!

23. Rick Bartlett

They were good then, they are good now.
    I would put money on the fact in 50 years, these will still be the memorable one's.

24. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Album is #4 in the UK midweek chart so looking good for a top ten debut. Hopefully it sells well and gets a good run

MRamble and Daniel Plainview like this.
  25. Daniel Plainview

I'll buy two more copies if I have to!

No I won't.

If only the vinyl was coming out at the same time we could have padded the numbers.

I'm still made we couldn't get "That's Why God Made The Radio" to number 1.

MRamble, Beatlened and Rick Bartlett like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.