New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

The first four albums were pressed by RTI in the US and by Optimal in Germany.

The other albums were pressed by Record Industry in the Netherlands, except for The Division Bell which was pressed by QRP and Optimal.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  2. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Very subjective matter and this is when reading through the thread via the search function can be helpful.

As you, I am not to fond of Meddle 2016 repress but I thought that the Wall as been elected one of the best repress from this serie along with OBC, TDB, PATGOD.

3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I think The Wall is good until compared to an original UK. Just lacks that power and punch, sounds a bit more laid back and i dont thinj thats a good thing for The Wall.

Norco74 likes this.
  4. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

My assessment compared to a 70’s Canadian copy was the reissue sounded more live. Not a good or bad thing but just a different and actually prefer it to the original release.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  5. Thanks for the replies all. I ordered a U.K. WYWH and Meddle as both copies I currently have need replaced and are about the same price on Amazon as I could get the US versions. Gonna give them a listen when they come in on Wednesday and pick up a few more titles if I like these.

Really hard to touch the A3/B3 dsotm, it's incredible, but a little noisy despite being NM condition. Getting a quiet pressing could be a nice change of pace

Echoes Myron likes this.
  6. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Does not matter where you order 'Meddle' from, as both US & EU versions were pressed at RI(Netherlands). Although, 'WYWH' as another SHF Member mentioned, for the US version, initially used the 2011 DS Remaster, although I did not realize that the US started selling the BG version eventually. As mentioned by another SHF Member, the first 4 albums for the US, used RTI, and even though they are overall pretty good, I do recall more complaints of Dished Vinyl compared to the EU versions pressed by Optimal. No idea, why the switch was made to RI for the rest of the albums in these reissues though. Maybe Optimal was too busy to handle the rest of the albums at least for the EU version?

One other note, 'Animals' uses a cardboard sleeve that cold scratch the Vinyl, but apparently, they wanted to replicate the same packaging as the original Vinyl Release. Seems kind of stupid though, instead of using sleeves that are similar to the other reissues. Actually, think 'AMLOR' also uses a cardboard sleeve-IIRC.

Echoes Myron and Hattipper like this.
  7. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

This week I bought Pulse and Delicate sound of thunder. They both use cardboard sleeve which were replaced immediately by MOFI sleeves.

Echoes Myron and Szeppelin75 like this.
  8. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

Finally got a chance to listen to the Mono Piper this evening. Another killer release. I have Relics and Pulse waiting for me on the shelf. Really looking forward to both. Sounds like I need to bust out Pulse ASAP in case the vinyl is bad. This weekend for sure.

9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I have a feeling that their solo albums will be occupying some of those PFRecords catalog numbers.

dtuck90 likes this.
  10. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

Does anybody here actually have a copy of Delicate Sound of Thunder without the side 2 sound issue? I returned mine because it was unlistenable through my headphone system. I'd love to give it another try but fear the entire run is problematic. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere in this thread (I've tried to find the answer but 569 pages is a lot to get through!)

NunoBento likes this.
  11. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

I assume that it is defect of all circulation. There is a wish to hope that there will be a new circulation with necessary corrections of the side B, but I don't know when it can be and in what way to learn about it.

12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

13. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

The other night I compared the new BG DSOTM with the Sax 1992 CD, SACD 2-layer, and a US Wally cut for side 2 (as the other side is by someone else). By the way I used to have the 30th anniversary but it was terribly noisy and got rid of it.

I prefer the US Wally side to all else. It sounds so rich and natural with "air" around the instruments compared to the others. To me the BG sounded almost exactly like the 92 CD in terms of tonality. None were bad and I would have been happy with any but Wally had it going on.

14. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

I prefer the US Wally side to all else. It sounds so rich and natural with "air" around the instruments compared to the others. To me the BG sounded almost exactly like the 92 CD in terms of tonality. None were bad and I would have been happy with any but Wally had it going on.[/QUOTE]

I was happy with a wally, that was until I picked up a UK blue triangle

Echoes Myron likes this.
  15. NorthSky

NorthSky Active Member

Animals in hirez 5.1-channel when?

16. NorthSky

NorthSky Active Member

Apologies, this is the analog vinyl stereo section.

17. eyeCalypso

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm sure I'd drool if I heard the UK, but I've heard Dark Side of the Moon so much in my life I don't think I'd miss it if I never heard it again.

James Bennett likes this.
  18. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

...that is until you hear it the way it should be heard

19. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

I am considering getting the recent re-issue of WYWH and Piper.

20. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I loved both of them.

21. eyeCalypso

Guess I'll have to come over.

22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

[QUOTE="I was happy with a wally, that was until I picked up a UK blue triangle[/QUOTE]

Totally agreee...The Wally is indeed awesome pales in comparison to the original UK. The A3/B3 is a great option (sound is close to the first press A2/B2 but much less expensive).

I did an informal shootout with all my Dark Sides recently including the A2/B2 and A3/B3 and the early UK's won hands down. There is no ceiling to the highs...they just keep rising into the stratosphere.

Second place was actually the 2011 Doug Sax. Tone is perfect.

I am also a big fan of the MOFI Dark Side but it is the most different from any other version. I can see how some may not prefer the EQ but it is just so syrupy smooth and laid back. I love it.

My regular play copy is a UK A8/B7 or thereabouts. Has a lot of the early UK magic and I can play it without fear of mishap as with my earlier copies.

eyeCalypso likes this.
  23. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Thanks. For someone just starting to collect these which are considered superb ? Sorry it's hard to Wade through this thread. So far I only have the mono Piper.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  24. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I didn't spring for The Division Bell as I've got the 2014 box set. I passed on Momentary Lapse Of Reason too as my original UK pressing is still in great shape. I've got all the rest (except Great Dance Songs). Do I need to get these other two reissues?

rontoon likes this.
  25. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Has there been any word on a standard edition of Piper Mono yet?