Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Joe Maphis showing off his unbelievable talents!

2. Rick Bartlett

this is a great companion disc, but seems to be another difficult one to find now:
    [​IMG]
    Bear Family were also a distributor of this, but even on their site, it's unavailable!
    Nowhere To Run - The Little Darlin Years | Bear Family Records
    There's not even copies on eBay...
    :mad:

3. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

There's one on my shelf!

4. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Bear + Mountain man = Bear Family :laugh:

5. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

The other day I got Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup's Rocks comp. I could only recommend it to someone who really likes "That's All Right" because so many of the other songs are basically slight variations of it. If you know his other song covered by Elvis, "My Baby Left Me", that's roughly the scope of diversity among half the tracks.

The Omni label (no relation to Omnivore) is an enigma. They have no web presence and many of their releases (including the above Johnny Paycheck) seem to go out of print very quickly. I've considered tracking that one down, but it's missing some of his 60's hits like "A-11" and "The Lovin' Machine" so I instead went with the Country Music Foundation's Paycheck collection.

6. Rick Bartlett

If you can get a hold of a copy of the Omni release, you wont be disappointed. Quality is excellent and it has
    a decent booklet as well. It's a pity considering it only came out in 2009, and yet it seems to be off the grid now.
    It wont be a big deal, WHEN Bear Family do their extensive Johnny Paycheck box set....

7. melstapler

The Eddy Arnold Bear Family 1CD "Tears Broke Out On Me" is an enjoyable compilation featuring a whopping 33 songs and was a nice surprise back in 2011. I'd be curious to know if all of these tracks will be included in the forthcoming comprehensive box set, but every Eddy Arnold fan should already own this enjoyable 1CD.
    [​IMG]

8. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

9. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

melstapler and rod like this.
  11. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  12. Svein Arne

The Killer and melstapler like this.
  13. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Why would they do that? To keep people from buying a project that the company invested in since 2008? ;-)

Plus, a stand-alone book would need a revised content and a new print run, resulting in a price that wouldn't be much cheaper than the whole set.

Judge Judy and RSteven like this.
  14. Svein Arne and RSteven like this.
  15. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

16. melstapler

We were discussing Ray Pennington a week or two ago and here is an enjoyable song he wrote, entitled 'Curtains On The Windows.' The song was recorded by the late Billy Walker. Hopefully Bear Family Records can someday issue a second comprehensive Billy Walker box set.

[​IMG]
    Producer/Singer/Songwriter Ray Pennington with his trusty pipe

The Killer and Svein Arne like this.
  17. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Even greater: the set will include mini-replica papersleeves of seven classic Lefty albums (for those who listen to music in their car).

18. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Saw this in the used bin the other day so picked it up, my first of this set and it's a lovely piece of work, song info/mini bio on each track/artist. Cd was a bit of a fiddle to extract but not enough to damage the packaging. Be nice to have the other 24 sigh...

[​IMG]

19. Reader

Reader Senior Member

You'll need all of these now. An excellent set and probably my most played CDs over the past 3 years. I'd love to get a vol.#2 for each year. I enjoy every single vol. but was surprised by how much I liked the 1945 through 1955 sets especially. You can find these at pretty good prices if you look around. The booklets are almost worth the price by themselves. Lots of information and many label shots.

Anyone else that likes this style of music but doesn't have any of these should pick one and try it. Top quality music and package. Bear Family at it's best.

DR.J, maloney, john hp and 1 other person like this.
  20. Svein Arne

Country's hit parade: 'Dim Lights, Thick Smoke and Hillbilly Music'

The Killer likes this.
  21. I cherish my Bear Family John Stewart Cannons in the Rain/Wingless Angels 'twofer' CD along with their CD of John's The Complete Phoenix Concerts. Both CD's have excellent liner notes with quotes from John about the making of the albums. Both albums have since been reissued again (by One Way or Wounded Bird, I believe), and I have not seen those packages to know if they retain the liner notes from the Bear Family releases.

22. Svein Arne

Various Artists - Country & Western Hit Parade 1962 BCD 16967 AR.mpg
    Various Artists Country & Western Hit Parade 1957 BCD 16962 AR
    Various Artists Country & Western Hit Parade 1958 - BCD 16963 AR.mpg
    Various Artists - Country & Western Hit Parade 1963 BCD 16968AR.mpg
    Country & Western Hit Parade 1951
    Country & Western Hit Parade 1953
    Various Artists Country & Western Hit Parade 1960 - BCD 16965
    Some of the great CDs in this serie.You will be surprised to hear meny songs in stereo for the first time on these.:righton::tiphat:

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Has anyone gone through the detailed listing of the new Lefty Frizzell box and determined how many and which specific MUSIC tracks are not on the 12 CD edition? Even better, the year of the new music tracks? (Not including the 8CDs of "books-on-tape")

[​IMG]

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Does it include new audio tracks of his TV and radio appearances?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  25. Rick Bartlett

a little info on the classic Gibson he played:
    RetroFret Vintage Guitars

melstapler, Tribute and Svein Arne like this.