Godfather question: Did anybody back home know that Michael got married while he was in Italy?*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vinny123, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Did anybody back home know that Michael got married while he was hiding out in Italy?

2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

They don't say in the movie, but I'm pretty sure she found out in the book.

3. Vinny123

I have to check that out. Did Vito know? Don Tommasino was his old pal. He must have kept Vito informed

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  4. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Kay refers to it in Part III, if that counts....

NYMets41 likes this.
  5. Vinny123

Sure it does.

hbbfam likes this.
  6. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I always wondered if/when Kay found out; I never read the book and do not remember that from III (only saw it once).

7. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

In Don Tomassino's villa, after Michael and Kay spend a day together, he says, "I spent a lot of time in this room, thinking of you." And she replies somewhat sarcastically, "And then you got married."

Sean, Simon A, Leaman and 2 others like this.
  8. Vinny123

Too bad that angle couldn’t have been worked into either Godfather 1 or 2.

Simon A likes this.
  9. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

No it doesn't: part III is fan-fiction...

10. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Tom Hagen refused to accept Kay’s letters to Michael, which could mean the Corleones weren’t in regular contact with Michael. Then again, they seemed to be in contact with Don Tommasino, so they probably could have talked to Michael. Maybe Tom told Kay he couldn’t take the letters in an attempt to get rid of her since he knew Michael had found someone else. Michael wouldn’t have a reason to hide the fact that he was married if his plan was to bring Apollonia back to America.

Simon A and fluffskul like this.
  11. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

No, it meant that they couldn't appear to be in contact with him.

12. SurrealCereal

Right, but if they couldn’t accept a letter in private and send it without getting caught, how could they talk to Michael, and why couldn’t they use that means of communication to send Kay’s message. I’m not saying it’s one way or the other, I’m just throwing out ideas.

13. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

I always wondered if Prince named Apollonia after Michael's wife in The Godfather.

14. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

I don't know if the family knew, but boy did Apollonia nail that pouty Italian girl thing. Particularly when she says to Michael regarding her driving lessons "You Promised!" ("Tu Promesso!"). My oh my...

[​IMG]

15. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

And Vito asks Michael "Have you found that shepherd?", referring to Fabrizzio who set up the murder in Italy.
    I don't recall Michael saying that he was married directly; I do know that he told Kay that while he was in Italy, he had been with another woman, and left it at that.

16. Vinny123

Vito had to know. You can’t tell that after Vito arrived home after being shot that he didn’t have information coming to him from Italy.

17. dmiller458

Have you even watched the movie?

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i was once married to an italian girl, and i had an italian mother and an italian sister with an italian niece......they all know how to do that pouty thing, believe me.

Sean, enro99, Derek Slazenger and 5 others like this.
  19. SurrealCereal

Yes, it’s one of my all time favorites. I’m aware that everything I'm saying is a stretch, and I really don't think any of it was necessarily the intended implication when the story was written.

20. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I've always been under the impression that everyone in the inner circle knew and kept it from Kay because she wasn't really part of the family. She was just a woman they really didn't have to answer to and Michael would pretty much just crush her with the news, whenever he came back. I've also always thought that Michael loved Appolonia more but Kay was convenient for him to become "Americanized" and help him pull away from the family business, as was his initial plan.

21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I always figured it was kind of the opposite myself- Michael was forced into exile in Sicily for who knows how long and was forced to write off Kay and his old life in general. He never got over Kay in spite of everything that happened between them (as Part III shows) whereas it seems like he "got over" Appolonia once and for all once he was able to exact the revenge for her murder back in the states (a sequence cut out of the theatrical Part II but included in the Complete Saga version). Compared to Kay Appolonia would have been a good little Sicilian wifie who would have been more than happy to give Michael all the sons he wanted and never would have questioned anything, unlike Kay. For sure the films would have been a lot more boring, probably...

22. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I think Michael cared for Kay as much as he was capable of, but once he killed the beast was unleashed and as can be seen with his alienation in the closing of Part II, he was a very changed man never to be innocent again.

Appolonia was just a women he was banging to pass the time. At least that is how I see it. Though I think her dying sealed the fate on him ever being innocent again.

Out of all the cold and calculated things he did, Kay was never one he saw coming.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  23. dmiller458

That's every woman, Italian or otherwise...

enro99 and dlokazip like this.
  24. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I disagree completely.

I think Apollonia was the true love of Michael's life. Had she lived, he would have resigned himself to building a life in Sicily, but always carrying the darkness with him. Perhaps, if the heat died down, he might have even taken her back to the States. Who knows?

Even from their first scene together, I always got the impression that Michael liked the idea of Kay more than the reality of Kay. Dating a WASP was no different than joining the Marines. Michael was trying to be the all-American boy.

I do agree that Apollonia's death kills his innocence for good. What is unclear is if he rekindles his relationship with Kay as a cynical move to maintain the fiction that his is still respectable, as a means returning to some sense of normalcy, or if he truly loves her on some level knowing that it will never reach the intensity that he had for Apollonia.

googlymoogly, SRC, enro99 and 16 others like this.
  25. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

No Italian is special. Dated lots of women, but nothing like Italian culture. This is not to say other women can't pout, but the Italian pout is very unique.

I see your point, but I think he treats her like a plaything that isn't part of his business. Although I do question him loving anyone really so perhaps this is all just conjecture.

NYMets41 and Jack Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.