OK, so many vinyl fans, but who's just DONE with it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Jun 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

When people were unloading the vinyl and replacing them with CDs is when I was scooping up some great music cheap! $1 and $2 bins with four sides of early '60s Marley Wailers, Blue Thumb Dan Hicks and Dave Mason, practically the entire Poco discography, all kinds of sweet scores... and 45s, people seemed to be almost throwing them away in some shops they couldn't clear space fast enough for CDs at up to $30 retail each! Now I can find some of those $30 CDs for $5 or less if I want them.

morinix and Slick Willie like this.
  2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I was playing that album really loud a few nights ago. This album and vintage Altec A7's are a match made in heaven.

The A7's could make a nice coffin.

Slick Willie and Manimal like this.
  3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, the Japan Pastmasters cd is no slouch either. :righton:

Raunchnroll and Slick Willie like this.
  4. timind

timind phorum rezident

I saved my response so I can paste it into the next thread concerning why I do or don't listen to vinyl. Save me a lot of typing time.:righton:

5. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Just put it in your signature!

timind likes this.
  6. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I think after 30 years or so of CD listening the smallest pop or snap can really remind one of how annoying an LP could (and still can) sound.
    I have been listening to a lot of new vinyl lately and the thing is that in quiet areas of a song the issue is still there. It is not that bad in most cases.
    However my latest brand new Foo Fighters LP (Concrete and Gold) is noisy on side two for some reason, even in the middle of the loud parts and makes the whole experience a downer. Odd sides one and three are quiet.

I like both mediums however. Would never use one to the exclusion of the other.

Fishoutofwater and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I once got a WLP of Neil Young's After The Gold Rush for $100 USD which is a great price for that. Condition was NM and surprisingly it really was except for one song; "Birds" which had a scratch from beginning to end. I hope at most there would be one or two ticks but nope, every rotation for the entire 2:30 there was a tick, loud as well, and I had to return it. It killed me to return that promo in such great condition otherwise, but, that scratch, completely ruined the listening experience, especially on a song like that. I figured I'd rather not have it at all.

There are degrees of acceptability, that differ from people to people and even from time to time in the same people (for example me!) when it comes to surface noise. Many times I can just live with it but sometimes you just want throw out the damn record. lol

I've spent a lot of time and money trying to upgrade and get quite copies of some of my worst offenders but sometimes no copy sounds good and in those cases I try and find copies pressed at different record plants thinking, maybe there's a bad batch from a particular plant. But it can get tiring at times.

Still I'm enjoying it for the most part but I see a time when I will sell all my vinyl and I think it isn't that far off either. I have a lot of cds so those will be gone too eventually but I can see my records going first.

fmfxray373 likes this.
  8. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

For those who are officially "just done with it": When did you leave it, and do you ever look back?

9. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Ok so I've been at this point for a while now, but I'm almost done with it. It went from being a hobby focused on the fun and cool aspects of it to a huge obligation in terms of space, storage, time, and money. In a crazier way I think it's fueled a lot of depression and anxiety, to the point that I've begun to focus more on the flaws and the imperfections than on the cool stuff. Opening record mailers went from "oh boy" to "oh great, there's a dent in the box what's going to be wrong with it" pretty quickly. At this point in my life I don't need any additional stress.

10. beccabear67

For surface noises (below)... why be 'done' or are you just buying really hammered used or exploito rushed shoddy new colored vinyl (and probably for way too much)?

[​IMG]

Gethan Wall likes this.
  11. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions...

I've been done with it since 1982. My life has been tick & pop free ever since.

12. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident

Yes the records take up about 5 times more room than CD's.With the quality of today's CD machines the sonic difference is barely noticeable,in my system anyway.

Vignus likes this.
  13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I feel the same way about old paintings and pictures. If I have a digital one, it's pristine and never fades. If it goes bad, I just print off a new one.

ThinWhiteDuke, royzak2000 and Shiver like this.
  14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

The format holds my attention nicely, perhaps a bit too much at times. Less so when I play silvers or files.

I really don’t find it requires all much effort. The expense is problematic but it’s also part of the fun. There is a lot of great equipment for analog playback.

wgriel, OldSoul, SirMarc and 2 others like this.
  15. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident

What expense?
    Have a friend,Tim or (tmsorosk)on this site, that have up his analog set-ups after many,many years and doesn't miss it.I'm thinking about doing the same but just can't bring myself to it. :shrug:

Tim 2 likes this.
  16. n8great321

n8great321 Well-Known Member

I don't get even a fraction of the same enjoyment from seeking out CDs I want vs. digging for records at a record fair, store, flea market, etc. I get to travel a lot for work and one of my favorite things is seeking out local record stores and spending some time digging around. Even if I don't buy anything, I love each store's unique flair and you often get in some great conversations with the workers. I've amassed a somewhat eclectic t-shirt and bag collection from all across the country! Nothing beats the enjoyment out of finally finding that LP you've been looking for forever. I tend to avoid online shopping for this reason, not to mention I feel a lot better being able to check the condition in-person.

All that being said, I don't buy new music on vinyl because the pressing quality is so hit-or-miss these days and the CD usually serves me well enough. Same goes for most 90s/00s music as well.

SirMarc, timind, beccabear67 and 2 others like this.
  17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Replacing a cart, the cost of the media not to mention the buy in for a nice table and phonostage. Granted, there are less expensive options than what I have chosen but I do enjoy what I've put together.

All in all, there are things I enjoy that simply are not available on both formats. I don't feel a need to pick a side and limit my options.

The craziest thing about this thread is that someone could go to a world class audio show hear a reference level analog set up and only hear the surface noise. I dare say that's someone that doesn't what to hear the good.

Tim 2, rednedtugent, jon9091 and 5 others like this.
  18. beccabear67

I have a very nice CD of that Morgan Blue Town group '***** Plays' album (with Wil Malone), it even has extra tracks, and I was still bowled over running across the original vintage LP (in Oregon of all places) enough to seriously consider buying it.

Oooookay, I see a word is censored... hopefully those in the know can figure out the group I mean. :shake:

19. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident

LOL I was just being a wee bit sarcastic.Roughly i've invested 6 digits for the analog source alone in the last decade.

Tim 2 and Dennis0675 like this.
  20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

that would give a man pause before pushing forward. Hopefully you're not seriously thinking of giving it up after such an effort.

Tim 2 and MaxxMaxx4 like this.
  21. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident

Well all things change.Love my vinyl but there comes a time in ones life when you think about the space required to handle 6000+LP's,cleaning machines,spare table's,parts etc,etc and the constant expense.
    If Tim can give it up after nearly 50 years?

Tim 2 likes this.
  22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'd like to think that I'm at a place where I'm only going to be buying a cart every couple years. I've certainly mellowed a lot when it comes to buying and cleaning records. I travel for work so I like to dig for records when I can, keeps me out of the bars and I like to start the weekend with a decent play pile. I won't be getting to 6,000 LP's. I think I have less than 3,000 an it's getting harder to find things I want to being home, let alone find the time to enjoy what I already have.

I can certainly understand being ready to get out of the game after so many years. Kind of a "been there and done that" thing but once can certainly ruin their own good time by over doing it. And that includes critical listening, listening for things to be critical of. I think some guys approach this hobby looking for flaws as if they are some golden eared audiophile that must have everything be perfect or it's unacceptable. "I heard the flaw, I win." In other words, OCD. I'm not saying you or anyone in particular but it's out there. I mean if your going to fall apart because you hear something other than complete silence in a lead in groove, you're working hard to find something to bitch about. Likely the same kind of person that needs to see the DR number to decide if they like a digital recording.

Kristofa, Tim 2, jon9091 and 5 others like this.
  23. timind

timind phorum rezident

Of course there were regrets. So much so that I jumped back in, only to quickly remember why I gave it up the first time. No regrets the second time.

Tim 2 likes this.
  24. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Vinyl only "clicked" for me after i researched and bought Audiophile-esque TTs & carts. Maybe in the last 10 years? I was kinda meh about it before then too.

When it comes to analog LP playback, the magic happens with quality and/or quality vintage stereo gear. No shortcuts available. Not something you can properly do on the cheap. Sorry, but that's the truth in my experience.

SirMarc and Dennis0675 like this.
  25. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Audiophilia is full of 'em.

"I've examined the data - I simply can't enjoy what I'm hearing."

"When the musics not playing I can hear surface noise...how can I enjoy the music?"

"I want the defects reproduced with 100.00 % accuracy, not 99.96 %"

"I need to hear the recording (of the recordings) exactly as the artist intended."

Archguy, SirMarc, PooreBoy and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.