I’m getting a laptop

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

Email, music, etc.

PhilBiker likes this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

See my last post.

PhilBiker likes this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

I’ll be buying in store, but the price range will not be expensive.

PhilBiker likes this.
  4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Cool - I have bought from them many times. Keep all your receipts, software discs, and documentation together. Good luck.

MikaelaArsenault and PhilBiker like this.
  5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I do not recommend service plans. The machine is already backed by the manufacturer warranty. And, if anything did go wrong, I would not trust Geek Squad to fix the machine. It really is best to learn how to do things on your own, too.

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Sounds like you might be OK with a decent tablet?

gd0, MikaelaArsenault and macster like this.
  7. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Considering BestBuy will be the place, and this will be an inexpensive model for email, music, etc. Lenovo Ideapad sounds like a good option.

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

@MikaelaArsenault please take what I'm about to say in the spirit with which it is meant. I've seen a lot of your posts in the past few months about issues you were having with your PC. In almost all cases, they can easily be addressed if one has the right knowledge.

Personally, I would strongly recommend a Chromebook for the type of usage you are aiming for. They are essentially devoid of the typical issues you've run into on your Windows PC and I believe it would result in a smoother experience for you since you wouldn't need to spend any time dealing with issues and posting about them.

The only bad part is if there's a game or specific application you'd like to use which was made for Windows, you won't be able to install/run it. In my view, it's a small price to pay.

A tablet is another terrific suggestion which, again, wouldn't require much (if at all) babysitting by the user (you). Food for thought.

9. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Not the greatest selection of laptops at BB. It's a shames the most of the public never gets to even see how much better many of the real pro laptops are. I was a MacBook Pro user for years, but Apple will have to really step up their game to beat my Lenovo X1 Carbon. Once you use a Thinkpad, it's pretty hard to go back to other PC laptops. Dell's XPS series is nice, unfortunately, it comes with Dell's "support" and quality. Great is you don't need things like the the TB3 port to work or decent docks, etc.

2trackmind likes this.
  10. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I got my son a chrome book for school and I wind up using it a lot. It’s a pretty good design and practical for online browsing and email for $300. Basically it refreshes the operating system every time it is turned on so no crashes, virus, etc.. It will fill your needs except for the music part.

PhilBiker likes this.
  11. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

OK, and Best Buy is OK. Even if you don't get their Geek Squad plan, their Geek Squad is there for service if needed. BB has really improved their GS service in the past few years.

For now, you can look on Newegg dot com, at laptops, and there you will find virtually every model for sale in the US. You can set filters for price and various features, and have an idea what is out there and prices. BB won't have them all, but they might have the best one(s) you pick, or something very similar. BB's price should not be more than 10% above Newegg's price.

I would recommend the HP brand first, with Dell and Acer tied second. Every tech knows or better know how to fix an issue with HP, and most Dells and Acers. HP is everywhere.

I have to recommend against a Chromebook for you. I have a (Acer) Chromebook, and it's neat, but it is only useful for web browsing and web email (and some downloading to an SD card or USB to take to the real machines, and some music listening with headphones). It's a good secondary machine after you have a decent laptop. You just can't write anything serious on it, or spreadsheets, or presentations.

You don't need Microsoft's Office in any version or to pay for that. I will link you to a great FREE Office program (fully file compatible with MS) that I use on all my machines, from SoftMaker. I have used this for many years, even though I have MS Office available.

12. Grant

@MikaelaArsenault

Since you are not spending much more than $350 on a laptop, you likely will not find one with a Ryzen chip. In that price range, go with an intel chip.

For that price, do not expect that laptop to last more than three years. It may, but do not expect it. Just learn how to fix issues on your own and save some money.

Again, no need for a service plan. Just take it home, set it up, and back up your data. Make a restore USB.

For you, I do recommend buying a full-featured anti-malware. Get something like the paid version of Malwarebytes or BitDefender. For technical reasons mentioned on another thread, avoid Avast.

Use extra money you may have and buy a separate drive to back up your data.

Stick with a major brand. Lenovo is a great choice.

Don't install programs you don't need. When you do, read everything as you go along.

For you, I recommend not turning off Cortana. I do not think you'll be doing anything on your machine that would cause you or anyone else to be alarmed. besides, turning off stuff causes things to not work as you intend or need. leave the tweaking to the pros, or as you learn things.

It's probably a better idea to buy a laptop with an Intel processor because they use less power. That will be good your battery life.

Do not use hibernate. That will cause your drives to fill up. Remember your desktop?

BTW, keep the desktop. When you get it fixed, you will have two machines.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. Grant

It depends on the location.

She is buying at a store.

If you avoid HP, you won't have to worry about needing a tech.

You don't know what she needs as far as Office is concerned.

14. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

This is for extended service. Also, for folks like me, (that know nothing about computers,) the Geek Squad service has helped me fix problems over the phone.
    They were probably stupid questions, or things you would have known already, but it's good to be able to call the people you bought the computer from, and
    they have a record of the deal (what you have, etc,...)

PhilBiker likes this.
  15. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

With HP, you don't need a tech. But if you do, everyone knows HP.

I think I have a fair idea what Mikaela can use in an Office program. SoftMaker is FREE, tiny, and fast. The only thing it doesn't have compared to MS is the grammar checker, and the free versions don't have macros or Visual Basic. I recommend SoftMaker to everyone for everything unless macros/Visual Basic/grammar checking is needed. Their pay version does have macros and a near clone of VB. The basic free version is always here
    www.freeoffice.com - FreeOffice for Windows, Linux and Android
    But almost always there is a free promo version of their pay version or one release back of their pay version. They also have Android and Linux versions with the same family feel. MS doesn't.

PhilBiker likes this.
  16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Is HP really any different than a Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba? They're all mass-market machines with similar components at each price point. It's not like if you pick HP over Toshiba, the same $500 laptop will never give you any headaches.

Dave, PhilBiker and Strat-Mangler like this.
  17. Grant

Ask any tech who has to work on HP machines.

PhilBiker likes this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Not any different, no. Everybody's experiences will be different so one guy might say "I'd avoid HP at all costs" whereas somebody else will say "Avoid Dell at all costs", etc.

They're all mostly cheaply-made machines. I prefer desktops by a large margin for many reasons, one of them being the ability to choose my components and not go for cheap unreliable stuff for any of my PC's parts.

Dave and PhilBiker like this.
  19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I work with the team that services all the laptops for my company with 200,000+ employees. We have contracts with HP, Dell, Toshiba, Apple and a few other vendors. We have a "Genius Bar" here in my building where walk-ins (employees) bring in their laptops for anything from hardware, to software, to network issues.

The techs have told me on more than one occasion that no brand is better than another. Occasionally there will be a "bad model" that gives them trouble for 6-12 months. But then it gets refreshed/recycled and the problem-child laptop designation moves to another brand.

eeglug, timind, Dave and 4 others like this.
  20. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Oh dear, this thread is not the place, we want to help and encourage Mikaela with a new laptop. In the Windows 10 thread she said she is getting a Lenovo and here she said at Best Buy. She will buy this in a retail store and she may or hopefully never need easily available retail service.

21. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

They are also a good deal:
    HP 14-AK040NR 14" Chromebook Intel Celeron N2840 2.16GHz 4GB 16GB Chrome OS 779184023302 | eBay

Nephrodoc and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  22. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I just looked deeper into that current website, and it may not be clear that the free version does include a very good standard spell checker, in the usual languages including US or UK English and others, to which you can add your own special words or abbreviations. Their comparison page almost makes it look like you need the pay version for spell checking. No - the pay version adds enhanced expanded dictionaries, not really necessary, and other plus features.

Dave, MikaelaArsenault and PhilBiker like this.
  23. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Hi Mikaela. If you're a college student, you can get Office 365 for free with your .edu account:

Office for Students, Teachers, & Schools | Office | Microsoft

At Ninite (Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once ) you can download several Windows programs at once (Chrome, Firefox, VLC, foobar2000, 7-Zip, among others)

Unidays offers several discounts for students including Apple Music at half price, 20% off at Microsoft Store, 30% off at HP, among others:

All technology

You can get discounts at Best Buy when you register at https://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/college-student-deals/pcmcat276200050000.c?id=pcmcat276200050000

Spotify and Amazon offer half price on their Premium and Prime memberships:

Spotify Premium for Students with Hulu: Music for everyone.
    Amazon Prime Student: https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Student/b?ie=UTF8&node=668781011

Hope it helps.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  24. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

LibreOffice is also a free Office alternative: Home | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Fun Project - Fantastic People

anorak2 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  25. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I recommend Dell.

HDOM, Dave, rodentdog and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.