Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

Roseland Ballroom 3/14/92 was my first show! I had an AUD of that show that conveyed a lot more of the energy of the room than the circulating SBD does. Wish the AUD would resurface, or that someone would make a matrix. Great show, hooked me for life!

2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That was a fun venue, I was there for their ‘93 shows as well.

warewolf95 likes this.
  3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

6.18.94 = top of the top shelf Phish.

Billy_Sunday, Cassius, adamos and 3 others like this.
  4. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

My first show :)

5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I’m sorry it was all downhill since then! ;)

I had a good first one as well. 12.12.92

6. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

7. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

I have been really listening to the Amsterdam box (I've had it awhile but never played the whole thing, or really listened), and WOW, this is one GREAT set of shows, from sublime, spacy, mellow interludes, to full top speed, sheets of sound jamming! Really, top notch playing on every disc. Really beautiful, crazy music. LOVE it.

8. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I have AUDs of the Bakers shows but haven't gone through them at all until this weekend after a buddy went on a rant about how poorly compiled the 3cd version of the Bakers set is. "They missed all the good ****, who put that together, they don't know anything about what is good Phish". Nothing like a rant to get me all fired up with interest. Started playing the 1st show yesterday, but it will take me awhile to wade though all 13 shows thoroughly enough to form an opinion.

9. Doggiedogma

Please give us your impressions on these. I would really like to know.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  10. Doggiedogma

I need to know where to spend my $ - Phish Box or Dead box. Real quality of life implications in the making yah know.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I haven't heard any of them (other than some Youtube videos of the one-offs) but just song-wise it didn't seem a very interesting compilation. I guess they want people to buy into the ridiculous box to get all the weird covers and rare songs and stuff, but...meh.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  12. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I posted alternative facts about Runaway Jim and had to delete. It's been played only slightly less than Antelope. I have no idea what song I was looking at on Phish.net when I published the 65 times figure.

johnnypaddock and Doggiedogma like this.
  13. wavethatflag

For me it would be the Dead in 99 percent of cases. But this Baker's Box is a weird situation when you already have the official downloads.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  14. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Listening to the studio albums today.

Im very relieved to say, after having started with live material, that the studio stuff is a lot better than expected.

Played Junta, Rift and Farmhouse and enjoyed every minute.

:)

15. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Gotta say, i keep coming back to Reba.
    It screams of Zappa's RDNZL.

Technical, musical intro with hints of humor. Somehow it evolves into a giant climactic and triumphant sounding guitar solo section.

Just perfect.

I know Trey was a Zappa fan and i know theyve done Peaches. I hear Zappa all over Phish's music so far.

Thats a good thing. Its not necessary, but it never hurts to have a band youre discovering be influenced by one of your all-time favorite musicians. :)

16. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

Reba is the quintessential Phish for me. Combining quirky lyrics that can be considered to describe the bands devoted eclecticism; annyong when will it stop chorus; challenging composed parts including the guitar/keyboard dizzying chase like squirrels around a tree! And the jam over the IV-V change is more reminiscent of Inca Roads, to me. Love that as a....vehicle....:shh:

17. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident Thread Starter

Check out one of the middle section vocal jams from a 94-95 You Enjoy Myself, and then listen to the one on Chunga’s Revenge. Your ears will perk up.

18. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Completely agree. Just as long as you don't get too many flubs in the composed parts. So probably best to avoid 2.0.

Oh, and you need whistling. The whistling coda should be mandatory.

Off the top of my head, I think I recall the LivePhish versions from Glens Falls '94 (White Album show) and Worcester '98 (Wipe Out show) being particularly good ones.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  19. wavethatflag

Yup.

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Rykodisc issued a compilation by Jon Fishman of his favorite Zappa tracks (as well as one by Ler from Primus). I believe the entire band was at Zappa's 1988 concert in Burlington, VT.

21. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Reba is indeed an epic epic. Many great ones to choose from. If you haven’t visited http://www.phish.net there’s a lot to dive into in terms of crowd-sourced “best ever” versions (though 3/20/92–one of my personal favorites—doesn’t ever seem to make any of the “best of” lists). Also, if you’re ready to have your mind blown, visit THE SPREADSHEET which has downloads of every known circulating Phish show (tons of beautifully mixed soundboards) as well as things like the festival archive broadcasts and various other bits that will make your head spin. Have fun storming the castle!

22. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

MIND = BLOWN

Cassius and Crispy Rob like this.
  23. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I just called my boss and let him know I'll be out the rest of the week... Headed out quickly to stock up on beer and liquor.

24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

3/20/92 also has the "alligator pit" Brother... For some reason I only had a cassette of the first set back in the day, but it got a lot of spins.

Cassius likes this.
  25. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

So thinking about Reba got me thinking about The Squirming Coil, which is one song that always makes me think of old Genesis (also like Walls of the Cave and Rroll HOF performance of Watcher of the Skies). So I spun Watcher and The Squirming Coil (studio) just now ... great stuff

Crispy Rob likes this.