I’m getting a laptop

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Enjoy! I got myself a new laptop last year on "Amazon Prime Day". I got a great deal but I want something more powerful lol!!! If you have an Apple and/or Microsoft store nearby I recommend going directly to them for advice and purchase. I've purchased from both over the years and they both offer IMO better and more expertise and help than third party vendors.

My new laptop is a Lenovo Yoga convertible "e" model - made for education (gradeschool) market. As such it is ultra heavy duty with bumpers around the outside, and it has a truly fantastic keyboard, though I dislike that it is not backlit. It has been reliable, but the CPU is slow, which is annoying.

Personally I LOVE the "Yoga" multi-purpose. It doesn't work great as a tablet, but in an "A" configuration it's great for watching videos, etc.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes I do remember.

PhilBiker likes this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

I just prefer getting a laptop instead.

DRM, Comet01 and Grant like this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

So the reason why I’m getting a new laptop is because of my almost 8 year old PC.

Malina and PhilBiker like this.
  5. MikaelaArsenault

^

6. MikaelaArsenault

I will consider what you just said @Strat-Mangler.

7. MikaelaArsenault

Thanks Chris.

8. MikaelaArsenault

I’m not in college (choosing to work instead), but thank you for the advice.

PhilBiker likes this.
  9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

My 2c....consider buying an off-lease business laptop. DELL or HP.

Pros: cheap, built well (has to be, it's for business users), usually easy to maintain on your own or upgrade things like the RAM / HDD.

Cons: minimal warranty in some cases, may only come with Windows 7 (although there may be Win10 off-leases now), LCD may be "meh". Battery might need replacement as well, usually that's the first thing to go...but again usually easy to replace on these devices and fairly cheap.

I have one of these from years back and the thing refuses to die.

10. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

You are welcome! ;)

11. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

That’s a perfect example of everyone’s different experiences. You could not give me a Dell. They burned me twice with admitting that a machine was flawed and even recalled them, yet would not do anything after I tried to work with their own tech support and went past the 30 days. In the case of the XPS they admitted a defect, but did nothing to correct it. Just acknowledged that their TB3 dock would never work correctly, but would not take it back because it was bought from an authorized dealer (B&H) and not direct.

Previously, I bought one directly from them that had display issues, and after working with their support, their solution was to always use an external monitor with my $1800 laptop.

I’ve had decent luck with HP, had a bad motherboard on a Spectre 360 which they swapped and covered overnight air both ways.

Lenovo has been sold except one Thinkpad just after the transition from IBM. Thinkpad T series has been among the best laptops for many,many years.

12. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I use a Dell at home and a Lenovo at work. No problems with either.

DRM, MikaelaArsenault and PhilBiker like this.
  13. MikaelaArsenault

:)

14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I tend to buy the ones that the company I work for deploys with great success. Hard to beat a laptop that stands up to 50+ hours of use week in week out.
    In the past few years they switched from HP back to Dell and their new laptops are just spectacular, durable, light and have excellent battery life.
    We have a Dell Precision 7530 which has engineering graphics capability. I would recommend any of the precision line- 3000, 5000 or 7000 if this is a price range you are looking at.

15. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

What I like about Lenovo is the experience I had with a problem. The fan speed on my Ideapad S10e was surging sporadically. I called and they recognized the issue. They overnighted me a paid FedEx box for me to use in sending the computer in for repair. They kept the computer one day and overnighted it back to me.

forthlin, anorak2 and avanti1960 like this.
  16. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

My MacBook Pro lasted me almost 10 years.

17. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

It's well worth the investment. I've had a Macbook Air for going on 5 years, and still love it. It's super fast, and I rarely have issues. Windows is much better than it used to be, but there are still sometimes issues, and I've yet to find a Windows machine (desk or lap) that is as fast as Mac. I leave mine on all the time, use it frequently, and only have to charge it every 4-5 days or so. It charges in less than 2 hours. And, it synchs well w/ my iPhone. My texts, notes, etc. are always synched between the two.

MikaelaArsenault and SamS like this.
  18. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I killed a Sony VAIO that way. HDD died.

Flash memory probably would survive it. :)

Myke likes this.
  19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Problem with the Macbooks (similar to higher end Windows laptops) is the investment cost so it depends on budget. My own MBP has been pretty solid, although I have need to replace a few parts over time. Including a cracked LCD that occurred for no apparent reason.

I don't agree with the Mac speed assessment, however. Hardware specs are going to match up with their Windows counterparts as the innards are essentially the same. And as for the MacOS versus Windows 10 speeds are pretty much apples and oranges imo.

20. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Second the advice with LibreOffice/OpenOffice (they're similar, but not identical). The good part with both, esp. LibreOffice, is that they can open Microsoft Office documents. They're a full functioning replacement of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. The only thing they're not compatible with is Microsoft Access. If for one reason or another you need that, you're stuck with Microsoft.

21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Sorry, could never buy a Dell. I would love another HP but have to make do with a Lenovo. A nice machine - but heavy.

22. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I like my HP laptop, which was originally purchased as Windows 7 Home Premium but upgraded to Windows 10. It has a 17" screen and wrapped in aluminum. I bought it in the summer of 2012 so it is 6 year old but still working great ...

I also have two desktops but the Dell desktop that is ten year old will be replaced soon.

23. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Each brand has the premium models and 600-900$ alternatives.

I would strongly recommend one of the premium ones:
    - they have better build and components might last 7-8 years
    - The customer service will be better

My wife has an HP spectre, she had an issue with the laptop not charging anymore, they sent a courrier to take it and repaired it within 4 open days, it came with a changed motherboard and all the data was there.

I have a similar story with my asus UX31A, they switched the battery within 3 days as it was deficient and dropped from 50% to 5%.

Friends with lower-in-the-line models always had difficulty with warranty.

You cannot go wrong with Dell cos, HP Spectre, Asus UX301, Lenovo yoga or ThinkPad, Acer swift 5, toshiba sattelite or protege...

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The original hard drive in my almost ten-year-old Sony Vaio is in excellent condition. I use it every day, and it stays on 24/7.

25. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I'd get one with a SSD drive. I just replaced the HDD in my 5 yo acer laptop and it seems faster.

jkauff and Grant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.