Parasound Halo JC3 phono preamp thoughts?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dividebytube, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident Thread Starter

I searched but didn't see if anyone here had any experience with this phono preamplifier, either in the original JC3, latest JC3+, or the budget Jr. version. Since I'm a big John Curl fan, and was interested in his original Vendetta preamp, I've been looking at buying one of these as the first part of my electronics upgrade.

Can anyone share their thoughts or some comparisons with other gear? I have a friend who loves his EAR 834P and suggests I go that direction but, given the nature of my stereo, I leaning towards a quality solid-state unit.

2. Helom

Helom Forum member

3. dividebytube

displayname likes this.
  4. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Just tried to post the same link and was beaten to the punch. :)

That's what you want, @dividebytube. It's 20 pages long and turns into a virtual love affair for the JC3 Jr.

FWIW, an original Parasound JC3 is the piece in my stereo that I am least likely to replace. It is totally satisfying to both use and listen to, and while not perfect, comes close enough.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    displayname, Bananas&blow and Helom like this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You can search for the term appearing only in the title of a specific forum.

Sometimes, the search tool on this board is rather limited, so I use google by typing this ;

site:stevehoffman.tv [enter search terms here, without the brackets]

The above works very well. :)

6. Luxmancl38

Luxmancl38 Forum Resident

I would look at the Luxman E-250. Built in SUT w/mono switch and cart demagnetizer.

7. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Huge fan of anything Parasound. Parasound was my first girl. Curl your
    Toes

SandAndGlass and Bananas&blow like this.
  8. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Budget wise, parasound is hard to beat. I got the JC3 jr a few months ago, out the door it was about $1200. I also considered the EAR, but my dealer quoted around $1800.
    I also auditioned phono’s from musical surroundings and rogue, wound up liking the JC3 jr the best.

stax o' wax likes this.
  9. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

What in your system makes you think a tube phono preamp is not the way to go? I am part of the reason that thread turned into a Jr. love affair for the record.

10. dividebytube

I'm big into tubes - build my own amps and have had multiple (mostly vintage) pieces. But with my current house I don't have my own listening space, so the stereo gets used by my wife - a lot. And it's usually left on all day. I'm worried - probably unnecessarily so - about tube life in such a situation. In my time I've had amplifier output tubes go south, red plating, and worry about not being around when that happens. So I've been running solid-state for the past three years.

displayname likes this.
  11. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

But, they were power tubes, weren't they?

I have left my 6SN7 tube preamp on for years without any issues.

I turn off my tube phono-preamp because it is a fairly expensive piece and it is currently fitted with costly NOS tubes, including rectification.

But with phono-preamps having small signal tubes, you are not going to encounter the same problems that you will have with power amplifier which uses large octal socket power tubes, or something similar.

Something to consider.

12. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Watched an episode of Mr Carlson’s Lab on YouTube where he repairs a tube amp that was used to sound a church bell. Pretty cool and he said these things were left on for years

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Guy is a genius

macster and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. sully12

sully12 Forum Resident

Recently upgraded to JC3+ from Belarri VP130. The biggest sound upgrade yet. It’s been fun going through my vinyl and hearing things that I didn’t hear before. Next step new turntable or the JC2 BP...the fun never ends!

15. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I'm a big fan of the JC3+.

16. Dmitry

Dmitry Forum Resident

Where'd you get it? I only see the list-priced ones , at 1495.

17. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I got mine on eBay "used'. I say "used" because it had never been opened and the power cord was still sealed. Think it was $1150 delivered. It is an incredible phono preamp.

SandAndGlass and Manimal like this.
  18. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Only consideration about going used - Parasound doesn't transfer the warranty to the new owner -- of course most of us hope we never need it!

Another option is go to Safe and Sound or Audio Advisor, wait for a Demo, return or B-Stock, pay $1199 - $1249 and get the full five year warranty (plus no tax, free ship depending where you live of course). Just another option --- last time I looked S&S had one in stock.

I've seen used ones go as high as $1200 -- if you are going used anyway, I would consider the Demo, B-stock option.... which sometimes those are pretty much new units to boot. Even if it a used one goes for $110o, it comes down to what is it worth to live without the warranty? $50? $100? $150?

I've tried the Jr in my system on multiple TT's - it is a fine phono preamp. Recently chosen by Absolute Sound (I think it was them) as a top product in 2018.

Wasabi likes this.
  19. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

I'm watching for a deal on a JC3 Jr in black myself and will checkout S&S and AA too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.